VOGONS

Reply 40 of 59, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote on 2022-07-05, 10:50:

No, there is no need for dgV DDraw wrapper.

Mechwarrior2 + dgV Glide.dll wrapper with option Glide\ForceEmulatingTruePCIAccess enabled.

Yes he is trying and I am testing without DirectDraw wrapper, some bug turned up again and so he is revising things again. I will update when we reach an agreeable point.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 41 of 59, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I finally have a report but it doesn't lead to anywhere. Game wasn't succeeding with disabling guard page handling, so I took a turn, disable DxWnd's exception handler completely. You can try it yourself, put a proxied winmm.dll with a different name, of Windows XP and hex edit WAIL32.DLL to the new file's name. After that, disabling the exception handler will still run the game, but there will be no sound effects, and the game will freeze if you don't hold Ctrl.

And the HUD disappears here too, meaning it probably isn't the guard page. 🙁

Reply 42 of 59, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Continuation of previous post: Meanwhile, I managed to load up MechWarrior 2 with nGlide too but there are still problems. I attached screenshots to compare nGlide vs dgVoodoo1 vs dgVoodoo. There is yet another problem untold. When I abort a mission, the menu crashes in dgV2 and freezes to a black screen in dgV1 (also in nGlide).

nGlide:
file.php?mode=view&id=141093

dgVoodoo1:
file.php?mode=view&id=141091

dgVoodoo2:
file.php?mode=view&id=141092

Attachments

Reply 43 of 59, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-07-07, 05:13:

Meanwhile, I managed to load up MechWarrior 2 with nGlide too but there are still problems.

Try nGlide 2.00.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 44 of 59, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gamecollector wrote on 2022-07-09, 18:08:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-07-07, 05:13:

Meanwhile, I managed to load up MechWarrior 2 with nGlide too but there are still problems.

Try nGlide 2.00.

It almost made it. Almost! Issue is when playing the game, you cannot use the mouse because it takes you to desktop AND the game causes a black screen on 2nd abort of a mission.

Another good news, for Mr. Dege was dgVoodoo2 actually ran once today, until it no longer worked the same way again. Again, there is another small work left on dgVoodoo2, the game crashes on aborting a mission. Can you fix this?

Reply 45 of 59, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You mean the HUD has suddenly become correct with dgv2? How can that be? (how could be wrong...)
Also, as far as I remember, the game didn't crash for me when returning from a mission to the main menu, or quitting to Windows.

Reply 46 of 59, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote on 2022-07-12, 12:08:

You mean the HUD has suddenly become correct with dgv2? How can that be? (how could be wrong...)
Also, as far as I remember, the game didn't crash for me when returning from a mission to the main menu, or quitting to Windows.

I wish I knew the answer, but the game behaves so inconsistent and absurd even ghotik struggles to just run the game on his PC. Regarding the menu, I think it's again a "you" problem in my part (games can't find msvcrt.dll and such even when they are installed and dosbox crashes in any programfiles folder). I think I will wait for my Windows reinstall and retest it.

Reply 47 of 59, by Deffnator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just small tidbit

years ago mech2.org did a windows widescreen patch for mech 2win, it must be at their discord.

it was a exe file that tweaked the game's resolution to any res you wanted, even 4k 16:9

Reply 49 of 59, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Link removed.
So called "abandonware" is not supported here. Please peddle this crap elsewhere. Thanks

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 50 of 59, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Dege

I think I will wait for my Windows reinstall and retest it.

And so I installed Windows 11 22H2 and guess what, the HUD now loads perfectly! Except there is one thing still left.

The game still freezes/crashes at a black screen after a mission exit. I installed the game as the first application after OTVDM, so it can't be anything else interfering.

Reply 51 of 59, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-09-20, 19:23:
@Dege […]
Show full quote

@Dege

And so I installed Windows 11 22H2 and guess what, the HUD now loads perfectly! Except there is one thing still left.

The game still freezes/crashes at a black screen after a mission exit. I installed the game as the first application after OTVDM, so it can't be anything else interfering.

Oh wait the problem is still there:
file.php?mode=view&id=145941

The problem will arrive only if I enable Resolution 800x600. I think that can be fixed easily by you.

Also that crash after exit happens without DxWnd DirectX interference so it must be something else, maybe related to DirectDraw/Glide to GDI surface transformations... (the game GUI uses GDI).

Attachments

Reply 52 of 59, by Deffnator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-09-21, 13:52:
Oh wait the problem is still there: https://www.vogons.org/download/file.php?mode=view&id=145941 […]
Show full quote
@Dege […]
Show full quote

@Dege

The problem will arrive only if I enable Resolution 800x600. I think that can be fixed easily by you.

Also that crash after exit happens without DxWnd DirectX interference so it must be something else, maybe related to DirectDraw/Glide to GDI surface transformations... (the game GUI uses GDI).

Have you tried to check it out the widescreen patch at moddb?

they managed to edit the VESA dll files so the game can reach widescreen res.
also there is the old mech2.org resolution tool that permitted you to play in fullhd, i used that back when the game still worked on win7.

i think that tool is still around at their discord, try to reach them there.

Reply 53 of 59, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deffnator wrote on 2022-09-27, 21:05:
Have you tried to check it out the widescreen patch at moddb? […]
Show full quote
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-09-21, 13:52:
Oh wait the problem is still there: https://www.vogons.org/download/file.php?mode=view&id=145941 […]
Show full quote

@Dege

Have you tried to check it out the widescreen patch at moddb?

they managed to edit the VESA dll files so the game can reach widescreen res.
also there is the old mech2.org resolution tool that permitted you to play in fullhd, i used that back when the game still worked on win7.

i think that tool is still around at their discord, try to reach them there.

The problem is it is for the DOS version, and we are using a Windows game...

Reply 54 of 59, by Deffnator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yes and mechprep made by kontza worked on winmech and winmercs
sadly mech2 website is dead, but they probably has all of the tools on their discord.

you could use mechprep to increase winmech to 1080p+ i used it a lot back in 2010 to play mech 2 and mercs 3dfx.

i am saying this because if they still have at mech2.org discord they may even help you and dege about solving this issue.
i will ove to see all windows versions of mech2 and mercs working in W10+

Reply 55 of 59, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deffnator wrote on 2022-09-30, 13:27:
yes and mechprep made by kontza worked on winmech and winmercs sadly mech2 website is dead, but they probably has all of the too […]
Show full quote

yes and mechprep made by kontza worked on winmech and winmercs
sadly mech2 website is dead, but they probably has all of the tools on their discord.

you could use mechprep to increase winmech to 1080p+ i used it a lot back in 2010 to play mech 2 and mercs 3dfx.

i am saying this because if they still have at mech2.org discord they may even help you and dege about solving this issue.
i will ove to see all windows versions of mech2 and mercs working in W10+

The 22H2 update messed some things up with how the "compatibility modes" work in this game, but nevertheless I will continue on it.

@Dege Good to see you back 😊. I have tracked the problem as you can read above, and it only happens on 800x600 resolution setting.

Regarding the crash on exit, it still happens...and yes I reinstalled Windows.

Reply 57 of 59, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote on 2022-12-21, 20:14:

It's embarrassing but I finally found a bug in dgVoodoo. At least I fixed it (see WIP89.1), now it should work in 800x600 too.

Yes it is working. Thanks, the problem is fixed.

Reply 58 of 59, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Back with this thread. I found yet another bug:

If I choose a resolution in dgVoodoo2, say Desktop, or 2560x1440, the HUD colours are messed up

Attachments

• colourissue.png
    Filename
    colourissue.png
    File size
    795.01 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain