New forum suggestions/Feedback

Topic actions

Reply 420 of 516, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2022-07-02, 19:40:

it's a lot when you consider some of the posters here just plop a big image search resultsphoto gallery in a row.

Is it? I would guess people refreshing their "Your posts" or "New posts" pages in total take more resources than the one-time resizing of photo posters...

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 423 of 516, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2022-07-11, 15:14:

don't need to unnecessairly include google tracking on this site too :p

search indexing is how i became a vogon i needed a program that had a thread here. 😀

Reply 425 of 516, by ldeveraux

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2022-07-11, 15:42:

google indexing a site and google personally tracking you through multiple 3rd party sites via embedding are quite different things.

Google is personally tracking everybody whether they like it or not, what's one more site if it's a benefit to the users?

Reply 426 of 516, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Why add another tracker when you can just click on a link?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 427 of 516, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Yoghoo wrote on 2022-06-14, 17:42:
Meatball wrote on 2022-06-14, 16:41:
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-06-14, 15:43:

I fully agree tapatalk is awful. The vogons mobile site loads and renders perfectly on my Google pixel 3a and our tablet. I don't see what's wrong with their mobile site.

Yep. Looks and works fine to me on an iPhone and iPad, also.

Really depends if you need bigger fonts or not. Default looks good but is not really readable on my phone (S21). When increasing the font size it doesn't look so good anymore and this could be improved imo.

I use the desktop site on my phone. Just turn to landscape mode and zoom in if I need it larger.

I don't like the mobile site interface.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 430 of 516, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dolenc wrote on 2022-07-11, 14:54:

I miss youtube embedded video in this forum. Some things are nicer in video form, but if its just a link to the video, usually gets overlooked.

If you're not on mobile, you can install Tampermonkey and this script to bring that functionality back:
https://greasyfork.org/de/scripts/1023-youtube-me-again

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 432 of 516, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi there,
I have a suggestion to consider.
Is there a way to add a possibility to address a forum memnber by nickname so that he/she gets a notification? You don't always want to quote someone's post, but just to turn to someone directly so that he/she is notified about it.
I've seen this kind of functionality on some other forums.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 433 of 516, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

In theory it is possible via the phpBB extension „simple mentions“.
Whether to open that particular can of worms is not my decision. A couple of times I thought that this could be useful. OTOH if a user is already in a thread they will get a message of a new reply anyway, if they aren‘t it‘s better you write a PM instrad of adding a mention in a thread.
As it’s a forum and not a chat/discord, adding mentions opens the door to potentially abusive behavior 🤷‍♂️

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 434 of 516, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you for the respond.
Don't really see how this kind of functionality is connected with abusive behavior. PMs are more likely to be used for that. All I suggest is just a usual public message with a notification.
And actually the message comes only if the user is signed up for the thread, not just if posts in it.
Anyways it's up to the admins to decide.

Dominus wrote on 2022-09-26, 08:33:

In theory it is possible via the phpBB extension „simple mentions“.
Whether to open that particular can of worms is not my decision. A couple of times I thought that this could be useful. OTOH if a user is already in a thread they will get a message of a new reply anyway, if they aren‘t it‘s better you write a PM instrad of adding a mention in a thread.
As it’s a forum and not a chat/discord, adding mentions opens the door to potentially abusive behavior 🤷‍♂️

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 436 of 516, by bttr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Minor, but still annoying (to me) is, when you click "Yes" in the "Mark forums read" window, you get a notification window "Forums have been marked read."
But there's no "OK" button. You have to move the mouse cursor to the "X" to close the notification window (or press ESC on the keyboard.)
So, please, add an "OK" button. (Or remove the notification window at all.)
Thanks!

Atari Portfolio, Highscreen Handy Organizer, HP 95LX, HP 200LX, HP 1000CX, OmniBook 800CT, Sharp PC-3000, ThinkPad 770, ThinkPad R500

Reply 437 of 516, by ldeveraux

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bttr wrote on 2022-11-01, 19:02:
Minor, but still annoying (to me) is, when you click "Yes" in the "Mark forums read" window, you get a notification window "Foru […]
Show full quote

Minor, but still annoying (to me) is, when you click "Yes" in the "Mark forums read" window, you get a notification window "Forums have been marked read."
But there's no "OK" button. You have to move the mouse cursor to the "X" to close the notification window (or press ESC on the keyboard.)
So, please, add an "OK" button. (Or remove the notification window at all.)
Thanks!

I would suggest getting rid of all confirmation completely! I just want to click 'mark read' and everything goes grey. I should have to confirm 3 times that I want to mark a forum read...

Reply 438 of 516, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's good usability to have a confirmation box, because you're making a very significant choice that cannot be reverted.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 439 of 516, by ldeveraux

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
schmatzler wrote on 2022-11-07, 02:07:

It's good usability to have a confirmation box, because you're making a very significant choice that cannot be reverted.

Thanks for quoting, I assume you meant me? It's not a significant change, it's marking read a few discussions on a forum, it's not the end of the world. Even if you had the confirmation check on that, we certainly don't need the confirmation of the confirmation. That's just a waste of time.