First post, by Meatball
Like the title says.
I own a Create AWE32 (CT2760) w/28MB of RAM and a wavetable daughterboard attached, and:
- ALL PCI slots are full (and blocking the other shared ISA slot).
- Forget about removing any of the PCI cards.
- I need full DOS support from this sound card as I finally break down and install Windows 95.
- CPU speed isn't a concern.
- Lack of OPL3 is a deal breaker.
- Lack of SB16 compatibility is a deal breaker.
- Lack of Sound Fonts most likely OK; it's a nice to have.
- In general, this particular AWE32 doesn't suffer from hanging MIDI bug (however... if Dark Forces is broken, the AWE32 is out unless some type of workaround exists!).
- I can't use the AWE64 because it doesn't have a Wavetable header (and no OPL3?).
- I would prefer not to plug anything externally into the Game port because I will be plugging in a game controller, but if a Y-Splitter works well enough, I could reconsider.
- 1998 doesn't exist, yet.
Are there any newer/great ISA sound card alternatives available from 1996 through 1997 (which aren't an AWE64)?
It seems to me there is nothing else out there, but this is why I'm checking in with the experts before making a final decision. Is the best option to carry the AWE32 forward to 1997?
I also have a CT2860 Vibra 16S w/Wavetable and OPL3. It's a year newer@1995. (In 2nd photo, it's top right).
Would you choose the Vibra 16S for the 1997 system over the AWE32 and keep the AWE32 available for an older system?
Thanks for your expert advice!
***->WINNER, 1ST PLACE<-***
2022 #QUAKE3totheMAX -560.5fps-
Brain Drain Retro LAN https://discord.com/channels/799008837918261328
NForce2 A7N8X-E DLX
GeForce 256 DDR@144/344MHz