First post, by mzry
Not sure why but completely randomly Deus Ex (original GOTY) has started crashing on save, whether I press quick save or try to go into the save menu the entire machine freezes with a sound screech.
I know what you're thinking, sound drivers etc! But no, here is what I have tried:
* Removed my save folder in-case there was a corrupted save, just tried new game > tried saving on the docks, same issue
* Swapped sound cards to rule out issues, still locks up
* Removed sound card entirely and ran game without sound, still locks up
* Changed rendering device from Glide to D3D, still locks up
* Changed sound driver device (in game) still locks up
* Re-installed the game entirely, still locks up
- So after all this I am thinking, must be an OS issue? So I play some other unreal engine games, everything seems fine.
* Tried some Deus Ex community patches, still locks up
.... Ok now I'm thinking it has to be hardware?
I swap from using my IDE CF Card game drive, copied the game to C:\ which is Adaptec SCSI, still the game locks on save, so it isn't a dodgy CF card...
Win2k fully patched to SP5 & other community patches
P3 1.4Ghz Tualatin
Asus TUSL2-C Mobo (fully re-capped)
3dfx PCI 5500 graphics (fully re-capped)
X-Fi sound card
Adaptec SCSI, 36gb Fujitsu 15krpm drive
Some other hardware things I tried:
Resetting bios to defaults
Upping CPU voltage by .50mv
Putting SD-RAM driving on 'strong'
Changing high priority PCI to enabled/disabled
Removing power cables from floppy, dvd-rom just to put less load on the PSU
I'm out of ideas! This just started happening totally randomly! All I can think of doing now is re-installing the OS and starting from scratch... but it's just so weird of a bug. I tried Googling the issue but I can't find any similar issues.
Thanks for any advice on this...