VOGONS

Reply 300 of 408, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You guys have put unfathomable time and energy into this project, and as your reward you've been put through the wringer. As the saying goes, "No good deed goes unpunished" and I'm glad it hasn't stripped you of your motivation. Congratulations on the new path forward, and huge respect to the original Retro Web team. At the end of the day, it looks like the news only gets better and better for preservation.

Reply 302 of 408, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deksor wrote on 2022-05-06, 20:44:
The future of Ultimate Retro […]
Show full quote

The future of Ultimate Retro

Hello everyone, the ultimateretro staff have got a big announcement to make today.

Since January of this year, we've been very busy building a large update behind the scenes which took place in partnership and collaboration with The Retro Web.
Those who are familiar with this site and community, may already know this project has a very similar focus to ours, and a lot of the content is overlapping.

After the sudden and disastrous departure from the win3x.org webhost, Ultimate Retro also suffered from poor Google rankings.
Said departure was caused by the difficult working condition with the host owner, who later took retributive actions to hamper UR search ranking, including an Internet Archive mirror, which was later taken down.

Fortunately for us, the developer of The Retro Web @zago27 has been very collaborative with us and signaled to us early on that he would have liked to hand over the reins of his project to someone with more time and resources.

Taking all these aspects into consideration, we have made the decision to merge the two projects into one, under the name The Retro Web.

Q: Why are you changing names again? Who is The Retro Web anyway?

A: It wasn't an easy choice, we had endless conversations about this between both project leads and developers.
Unfortunately, as familiar as you all are with the Ultimate Retro name in mind, it has been permanently dented by the events described above, some by chance, others by intentional malice in retribution.
The members of TRW, although not as many as we have on our discord (we've surpassed 400 members, my gosh 😅 ) or vogons, they are still just as passionate about documenting and preserving computing history as you are here. We know a lot of folks already made their way here, that wasn’t by pure chance.
Q: Fine, you changed domains/name etc, what consequences will this have for the project and server?

The answer is actually simple, there will be some visual upgrades at first, with some needed code improvements inherited from TRW, but everything else stays unchanged. The board limit will be lifted in the future, but we're still working on that, so for now it stays the same at LGA 775/AM2+.

Furthermore, this project will continue to be open source and community driven!

Through this merger, we intend to combine the skills and strengths of our communities and gain a stronger position through collaboration.
If you have any other questions, write them down in general .

Thank you for your contributions and understanding.

Signed
[The Retro Web Team - Ultimate Retro]

The merge is done. Ultimateretro as a name is no more, we have updated the site's design to match former theretroweb's design but it's still ultimateretro's core running under the hood 😀

The URL is now https://theretroweb.com.
Of course we made a redirect from the old domain name so all the old links will still work.

The update is mostly design based but it features a few new features such as a category dedicated to drivers.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 303 of 408, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

sweet !

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 306 of 408, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Updated my bookmark. Thanks for the great job the team are doing.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 308 of 408, by zago27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Languages were causing a bit of a mess with search engine indexing, so, until we figure out a way to do it without making everything explode, it will be English only.

Your friendly neighborhood hardware database and blog, The Retro Web

Reply 309 of 408, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry to hear about the setbacks you've experienced but thank-you very much for persisting and overcoming them, this is a brilliant resource 👍

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 310 of 408, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

still appreciate the effort, but not a fan of the new design I have to say, why rounded corners and weird font rendering everywhere? 😒
same issue I had with vogons design changes... guess it's time to write custom styles again *sigh*

Reply 311 of 408, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good work ! Am sure you guys will get the wrinkles figures out.
Just try to check here and answer some questions once in while.... I know the website is taking a lot of your guys time but some of us miss your valuable input on hardware questions .
(Hint: Deksor been a month and half since your last post here hardware related, nearly same with Evasive and some of the others).
Just my opinion....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 312 of 408, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can't speak for the others but in my case it's mostly personal reasons (to make it simple, I just moved out from my parent's house and now they're selling it so I have to move my collection from there and try to fit everything in a smaller flat. And since that can't be done, I have to get rid of things. I recently gave away 95% of my laptop collection to a museum and a bunch of other things, but there's still more and there are things I would rather sell than give away). All of this takes a tremendous amount of time, especially when there's a deadline.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 313 of 408, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote on 2022-08-17, 13:07:

Can't speak for the others but in my case it's mostly personal reasons (to make it simple, I just moved out from my parent's house and now they're selling it so I have to move my collection from there and try to fit everything in a smaller flat. And since that can't be done, I have to get rid of things. I recently gave away 95% of my laptop collection to a museum and a bunch of other things, but there's still more and there are things I would rather sell than give away). All of this takes a tremendous amount of time, especially when there's a deadline.

I can only imagine how stressful that is. I wish you the best in those actions and hope nothing unfortunate happens in any step or action you take.
NB: You've probably considered it anyways, but just in case - maybe you could rent a storage room to move stuff into there. This way you could push the deadline further into the future and do what you need to do at slower/better pace. The storage room would still (hopefully! 😁 ) be a temporary stop-gap solution.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 314 of 408, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
zago27 wrote on 2022-08-16, 20:39:

Languages were causing a bit of a mess with search engine indexing, so, until we figure out a way to do it without making everything explode, it will be English only.

I think google has done something differently lately, it keeps pitching me onto a load of French pages, then I look for a product and it's giving me amazon from all sorts of different countries before it's giving me .com or .ca.... so potentially the screwup is on their end. Whether it's from their bad coding or bad documentation of changes.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 315 of 408, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote on 2022-08-17, 13:07:

So sorry to hear that. I can imagine the added stress and lack of personal fun time. Over in my area we have some storage places (that are not cheap) which I may have to use in the future, 1/2 my computers are at my moms in a spare room and if she decides to sell and move into some retirement place will have to move them all out like you are trying to do. Hate to think about it....
Wishing you the best of luck on saving as much as you can !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 316 of 408, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

>dedicated submissions thread

Have you considered adding "Contribute/ADD/EDIT" buttons right on the live pages ala wikipedia? All the submitted changes going into admin queue and being invisible until approval. Admin having dedicated page with queued proposed edits, opening entry displays Diff of the old/new page side by side. It would speed up the process and considerably lower barrier to entry for any potential contributors. From experience a process where:

- user has to hunt down a thread on some forum - its not even linked on the main page itself, its hidden under 'about us/find us on these forums'
- read it carefull enough to spot link to yet another separate thread
- register on said forum
- moderator visit said forum from time to time
- read the posts
- verify if the edit is sane/correct
- open relevant page
- manually parse the information
- manually copy&paste

is not the smoothest and will reduce rate of submission by at least 100x.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 317 of 408, by zago27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's in the works, but it requires tiered user accounts (or even a public submission form) that the current infrastructure can't quite handle.
Since it's a feature that's been requested many times already and would actually save us a lot of time when adding content, we'll try out best to have something usable for the next major update.

Your friendly neighborhood hardware database and blog, The Retro Web

Reply 319 of 408, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zago27 wrote on 2022-08-18, 07:27:

It's in the works, but it requires tiered user accounts

Any account, be it vogons, discord, or native is too much user friction.

zago27 wrote on 2022-08-18, 07:27:

(or even a public submission form)

Imo this is the only usable way, slap a captcha for spam prevention for good measure. Track IP/cookie of good/accepted submitters, can even color pending submissions according to the number of previously accepted ones from same person (kind of quality score) to help with speed of moderation.

>It's in the works

yay

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction