soj-dip adapter

Topic actions

First post, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@sphere478
In continuation from the other thread ...

32-pin SOJ/DIP SRAM datasheets - all chips of this class are electrically and physically compatible.
https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/v … K6R1008V1B.html
https://www.issi.com/WW/pdf/61-64C1024AL.pdf
https://www.datasheetbank.com/datasheet-downl … inbond/W24L010A

DIP-32 sockets visual reference - a common element on mid/late 486 and early Pentium motherboards.
On some motherboards the sockets are grouped in two columns (like on the linked picture), on other models they are lined-up in a single column.
The width of the sockets is 10mm and are tightly packed on most motherboards. Because of that the adapter PCB cannot exceed that 10mm value in width.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 1 of 32, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On phone can’t look at datasheets rn.

Do you want them to use sockets? On adapters?

Vertical daughter boards are possible but complicated.

Perhaps it makes sense to try to uncurl the pins or solder pins onto them?

Can you sketch your idea for what you want?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 2 of 32, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The SOJ chips are wider than the DIP ones. They are as wide as the DIP socket itself, which is 10mm.
So it will be interesting how they fit along with the pins that will be located on the outer border of the PCB.
I cannot think at the moment of a non-hacky, non-ugly way to make it work, unless we consider some radical (non-horizontal ?) design.
I am open to suggestions.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 3 of 32, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What about soldering them to the top of fake cache chips?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 4 of 32, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is what you're looking for. 2-layer PCB, nothing special except how the pins are soldered. There's some free space left, so I would probably add a 0805 capacitor.

Attachments

My Active Sales on CPU-World

Reply 5 of 32, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting ! I have a PcPartner/Vtech 486 board that uses very specific 28 pin DIP cache chips no longer available but there are SOJ equals that are. Will be keeping an eye on this topic !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 32, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Saw these before, but only on a picture. Maybe the same picture.
Not sure how the pins on the bottom that coincide with the pads on the top are soldered. Apparently not using through-hole.
Any insights ?

retro bits and bytes

Reply 8 of 32, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suspect you take a pin header or machine pin, measure out about 2 mm and bend it 90 degrees. Then solder the bent side to the solder pad.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 9 of 32, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pshipkov wrote on 2022-08-29, 06:38:

Not sure how the pins on the bottom that coincide with the pads on the top are soldered. Apparently not using through-hole.
Any insights ?

Break off flat pins of any DIP chip and solder them to the bottom of this PCB.

Reply 10 of 32, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ph4nt0m wrote on 2022-08-29, 02:31:

This is what you're looking for. 2-layer PCB, nothing special except how the pins are soldered. There's some free space left, so I would probably add a 0805 capacitor.

Do we have a gerber for that?

At OP is that what you want?

pshipkov wrote on 2022-08-29, 06:38:

Saw these before, but only on a picture. Maybe the same picture.
Any insights ?

Just a smd pin. Made, or bought, hard to say.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 11 of 32, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-08-29, 08:36:
ph4nt0m wrote on 2022-08-29, 02:31:

Do we have a gerber for that?

No gerber unfortunately. These were manufactured in the late 1990's. I only have a few units left and that's all.

These adaptors, both DIP-28 and DIP-32, have been in my to-do list for quite a long time. I guess there is enough demand to justify production now.

Reply 12 of 32, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My point is that soldering pins on the bottom like that will be hacky and messy.

Potential options:
1. A separate PCB with SOJ socket on it (or simply solder pads) that can be inserted vertically into the base one with the DIP pins using a SIPP-like connector. This way we can modularize the contraption. Feels like too much. Can be made simpler.
2. Make the PCB longer and move the SOJ chip and the solder pads to the side of the array with DIP legs. This will make the module unsuitable for some motherboards. Especially the ones with 2 columns of sockets.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 13 of 32, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I made some not so long ago :

CacheModules2.jpg
Filename
CacheModules2.jpg
File size
1.16 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
CacheModules1.jpg
Filename
CacheModules1.jpg
File size
713.55 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 14 of 32, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pshipkov wrote on 2022-08-29, 18:08:
My point is that soldering pins on the bottom like that will be hacky and messy. […]
Show full quote

My point is that soldering pins on the bottom like that will be hacky and messy.

Potential options:
1. A separate PCB with SOJ socket on it (or simply solder pads) that can be inserted vertically into the base one with the DIP pins using a SIPP-like connector. This way we can modularize the contraption. Feels like too much. Can be made simpler.
2. Make the PCB longer and move the SOJ chip and the solder pads to the side of the array with DIP legs. This will make the module unsuitable for some motherboards. Especially the ones with 2 columns of sockets.

Such SOJ sockets are expensive and hard to find, besides they require even more space. Longer PCBs are probably not a great idea.

Reply 15 of 32, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also use Tiido-cache TM (R) in my mega-pc 😁

DgoCCve.png

Last edited by keropi on 2022-08-29, 19:26. Edited 1 time in total.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 17 of 32, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just 2 layers, more is not necessary. The 4 corner pins are for alignment purposes.

Reply 19 of 32, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have any at hand and they're all packed away too to show (I'm in the middle of a move to another country) but there's basically just large solder pads underside so that pin headers could be soldered to them, all surface mounted fashion. They're pretty PITA to make that way but I couldn't find a better solution.