VOGONS

Reply 220 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I’ve got a M1 Max Mac Studio.

Will be setting up a new env on it for the same vms when I arrive in Rio at home. I’m still in Spain for the next two weeks.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 221 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That M1 Max is a beast. Runs 86box just fine. Parallels is also flying (Grand Prix 4 runs fine, buttery smooth, under Windows 11 Pro aarch64 and PO - Processor Occupancy - in game is always between 7% and 15%, compared to when I last played it in a bare metal Windows install, where it was through the roof over 100%).

Here my current game list as follows (Older Windows are running under 86box. I am yet to update the UTM/QEMU machines).

Next step will be to tweak Win 98 image size and reduce it a bit more. Windows 95 is looking perfect as the goal is to emulate the same specs my old (deceased) Acer Extensa 710T had.

Attachments

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 222 of 242, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
Apple M1 Max 10 Core 3200 MHz - 22,239
Intel Core i5-13600K - 38,530
Intel Core i5-13 has the power of M1 Ultra now
Maybe Dell could start making intel based mac desktops

Reply 223 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote on 2022-11-09, 06:56:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html Apple M1 Max 10 Core 3200 MHz - 22,239 Intel Core i5-13600K - 38,530 Intel Core […]
Show full quote

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
Apple M1 Max 10 Core 3200 MHz - 22,239
Intel Core i5-13600K - 38,530
Intel Core i5-13 has the power of M1 Ultra now
Maybe Dell could start making intel based mac desktops

No thanks. They'll never be Intel again 😀

All that Intel "power" is useless when Intels draws too much TDP. They're terrible.

My electricity bills massively reduced since I started using the M1s for work at home. Best investment ever.

Also, this thread is about the VMs, not about Intel vs Apple.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 225 of 242, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Back on topic now Robertmo

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 226 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, back on topic.

Recently I've been trying some other console emulators. PPSSPP works fine on my iPhone and I can play F1 06 and FIFA 07 just like the same titles I had on my PSP.

Also tested PCXS2 and Gran Turismo 4 is running great on my M1 Max Mac Studio.

Good things are comin', also with 86box improving heaps in the recent months. They're achieving the potential PCem was supposed to achieve.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 227 of 242, by Mjyys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bruninho wrote on 2022-08-29, 20:59:
Bladeforce wrote on 2022-08-29, 17:28:

Seems a bit of overkill for something standard wine runs fine

EDIT: also, Grand Prix 4 and its editors ran massively better on Parallels than through Wine. I have never had a such performance out of Grand Prix 4 even in bare metal.

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I have to ask how did you get GP4 to run on Parallels? I can only get to the main menu, and when I try to start a race the game crashes. I've tried everything I could think of but nothing seems to work.
I'm using Windows 11 Home on Parallels. GP4 worked just fine with Windows 10 earlier, but not with 11 for whatever reason.

(Sorry, I know next to nothing about virtual machines but I've been trying to get GP4 to work and stumbled upon this site 😁)

Reply 228 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mjyys wrote on 2023-03-04, 19:01:
Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I have to ask how did you get GP4 to run on Parallels? I can only get to the main menu, […]
Show full quote
Bladeforce wrote on 2022-08-29, 17:28:

Seems a bit of overkill for something standard wine runs fine

EDIT: also, Grand Prix 4 and its editors ran massively better on Parallels than through Wine. I have never had a such performance out of Grand Prix 4 even in bare metal.

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I have to ask how did you get GP4 to run on Parallels? I can only get to the main menu, and when I try to start a race the game crashes. I've tried everything I could think of but nothing seems to work.
I'm using Windows 11 Home on Parallels. GP4 worked just fine with Windows 10 earlier, but not with 11 for whatever reason.

(Sorry, I know next to nothing about virtual machines but I've been trying to get GP4 to work and stumbled upon this site 😁)

I did nothing special, other than the fact that I am using Windows 11 Professional and Beta Channel on Insider Preview. And this is a M1 MacBook Air and a M1 Max Mac Studio, so its the ARM64 version of Windows 11 Pro on Parallels.

Did you check directx and if Windows asked for DirectPlay to be installed? It is triggered when you try to run an old game such as Grand Prix 3 (this one needs dgVoodoo and DxWnd, but GP4 needs nothing).

Also check your VM graphics settings in Parallels.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 229 of 242, by Mjyys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bruninho wrote on 2023-03-12, 16:51:
I did nothing special, other than the fact that I am using Windows 11 Professional and Beta Channel on Insider Preview. And this […]
Show full quote
Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I have to ask how did you get GP4 to run on Parallels? I can only get to the main menu, […]
Show full quote

I did nothing special, other than the fact that I am using Windows 11 Professional and Beta Channel on Insider Preview. And this is a M1 MacBook Air and a M1 Max Mac Studio, so its the ARM64 version of Windows 11 Pro on Parallels.

Did you check directx and if Windows asked for DirectPlay to be installed? It is triggered when you try to run an old game such as Grand Prix 3 (this one needs dgVoodoo and DxWnd, but GP4 needs nothing).

Thanks for the advice!
Everything with DirectX seems to be fine. I tried it with and without DirectPlay, and with all kinds of graphic settings, and it made no difference. The loading bar gets about halfway through and it always crashes at that point, no matter what I do.

Here's the GPxPatch log, I don't understand anything about this stuff but maybe someone does 😁
https://pastebin.com/sSAX9U0M

Reply 230 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think you might be better off creating your own thread about GP4 in a vm, chances are you'll get better views from people for this. And Parallels forums for that matter as well. I just literally installed Win 11 and GP4 and got it to run. No special stuff was made for it to run.

Now, back on topic... /start update

All my vms are up to date and running flawlessly. I wish UTM/QEMU had proper 3D accel (not the silly passthrough for glide that has been a polemic topic here on VOGONS last year) so I could drop both 86box and Parallels. Meanwhile, I found out in first hand that the emulation community is indeed toxic AF, especially if they are on discord, but anyway, not the place or the topic for that discussion.

I am looking forward to improve my Win 95/98 vms and reduce their size. As well as adding some more old DOS games like first two Duke Nukem (or should I say, "Duke Nukum") to my Win 3.11/DOS vm.

Also need to get some more time on OS 9 in UTM for some games. OS 9 was a really great macOS version and I still cannot believe I did not experience this 20 years ago! The platinum theme is sweet. Mouse speed needs to improve tho.

Also while I was moving to a new place, I converted several physical CDs to images because I couldnt bring them with me. It includes both Sound Blaster 16 and Graphics Blaster M20X CD images. I think I have a very nice collection of drivers now. And VB4/VB5 MSFN CD images!

Another project are my webpages on my Ubuntu arm64 light webserver vm running in UTM, I also need to finish them. Its due a long time ago.

/end update

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 231 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mjyys wrote on 2023-03-16, 04:36:
Thanks for the advice! Everything with DirectX seems to be fine. I tried it with and without DirectPlay, and with all kinds of g […]
Show full quote
I did nothing special, other than the fact that I am using Windows 11 Professional and Beta Channel on Insider Preview. And this […]
Show full quote

Thanks for the advice!
Everything with DirectX seems to be fine. I tried it with and without DirectPlay, and with all kinds of graphic settings, and it made no difference. The loading bar gets about halfway through and it always crashes at that point, no matter what I do.

Here's the GPxPatch log, I don't understand anything about this stuff but maybe someone does 😁

It just dawned on me, have you actually patched the gp4.exe with the no-cd version?

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 232 of 242, by Mjyys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bruninho wrote on 2023-03-20, 12:15:
Mjyys wrote on 2023-03-16, 04:36:
Thanks for the advice! Everything with DirectX seems to be fine. I tried it with and without DirectPlay, and with all kinds of g […]
Show full quote

Thanks for the advice!

It just dawned on me, have you actually patched the gp4.exe with the no-cd version?

Yes, I did that. I've installed the game countless times on other computers, so I didn't think I was doing anything wrong in that regard - until I realized something.

All this time I've had the game located in the Documents folder, thinking it wouldn't make a difference and the game would find the correct path by itself. I moved it to Program Files and it works like a charm now, just like you said.

I feel a bit stupid right now 😁

Reply 233 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

lmao. Well, I save my games in a custom folder called Games since DOS days.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 234 of 242, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Bruninho wrote on 2023-03-17, 12:32:
I think you might be better off creating your own thread about GP4 in a vm, chances are you'll get better views from people for […]
Show full quote

I think you might be better off creating your own thread about GP4 in a vm, chances are you'll get better views from people for this. And Parallels forums for that matter as well. I just literally installed Win 11 and GP4 and got it to run. No special stuff was made for it to run.

All my vms are up to date and running flawlessly. I wish UTM/QEMU had proper 3D accel (not the silly passthrough for glide that has been a polemic topic here on VOGONS last year) so I could drop both 86box and Parallels. Meanwhile, I found out in first hand that the emulation community is indeed toxic AF, especially if they are on discord, but anyway, not the place or the topic for that discussion.

I am looking forward to improve my Win 95/98 vms and reduce their size. As well as adding some more old DOS games like first two Duke Nukem (or should I say, "Duke Nukum") to my Win 3.11/DOS vm.

Also need to get some more time on OS 9 in UTM for some games. OS 9 was a really great macOS version and I still cannot believe I did not experience this 20 years ago! The platinum theme is sweet. Mouse speed needs to improve tho.

Also while I was moving to a new place, I converted several physical CDs to images because I couldnt bring them with me. It includes both Sound Blaster 16 and Graphics Blaster M20X CD images. I think I have a very nice collection of drivers now. And VB4/VB5 MSFN CD images!

Another project are my webpages on my Ubuntu arm64 light webserver vm running in UTM, I also need to finish them. Its due a long time ago.

/end update

My M1 mac mini serves mostly as a buildbot, server of stuff like znc, nextcloud via docker and lately Home Assistant via VMWare Fusion. HA can't use its full possibilities via Docker (because networkmode host is only working on Linux machines, not macOS or Windows) so I tried varios VMs. Virtualbox m1 support is still beta and it irked me somewhat and UTM can't "pass on" idle state. So the cores you assign to a virtual machine in UTM run at 100%. That's why I'm mentioning it in this reply (conserving energy etc 😀).
I found that both VB and Fusion idle with the actual CPU power consumed in the VM. Running something like HA 24/7 needs that instead of just using up 100% of the assigned cores.
For short gaming session, this is not vital at all, though, just wanted to let you know 😃

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 235 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote on 2023-06-10, 22:37:
My M1 mac mini serves mostly as a buildbot, server of stuff like znc, nextcloud via docker and lately Home Assistant via VMWare […]
Show full quote
Bruninho wrote on 2023-03-17, 12:32:
I think you might be better off creating your own thread about GP4 in a vm, chances are you'll get better views from people for […]
Show full quote

/end update

My M1 mac mini serves mostly as a buildbot, server of stuff like znc, nextcloud via docker and lately Home Assistant via VMWare Fusion. HA can't use its full possibilities via Docker (because networkmode host is only working on Linux machines, not macOS or Windows) so I tried varios VMs. Virtualbox m1 support is still beta and it irked me somewhat and UTM can't "pass on" idle state. So the cores you assign to a virtual machine in UTM run at 100%. That's why I'm mentioning it in this reply (conserving energy etc 😀).
I found that both VB and Fusion idle with the actual CPU power consumed in the VM. Running something like HA 24/7 needs that instead of just using up 100% of the assigned cores.
For short gaming session, this is not vital at all, though, just wanted to let you know 😃

I was caught by work and could only read here now

Great use if these are your only workflows, heh. My M1 Max is overkill indeed for the whole work I do, but its extra power is good for emulation and games so its a win win situation.

Virtualbox is finicky, and I heard there are some graphics issues even on x86 version. I don't think they will provide full arm virtualization in M1/M2 Macs, given how much Oracle care about VB these days, but... we'll see, who knows.

UTM I use only for a web dev ubuntu vm and ppc OS 9 fun. Given its a free frontend for QEMU, its a good enough solution for my web dev tasks, in terms of budget (Parallels is expensive as f*** and I am waiting for VMWare to bring proper DX11 or 12 support to their solution)

I didnt knew about this issue on UTM, I must give a look on it later! Thanks.

I haven't been gaming a lot lately - I am learning SwiftUI these days while I work on UI/UX projects

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 236 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just some few updates.

I'm on macOS Sonoma and already trying out some games on Game Porting Toolkit.

Automobilista 2 runs fine, as well as Shadow of Tomb Raider. SOTTR runs impressively good.

Counter Strike 2 is struggling, but to be fair, Valve did a lot of errors with this game and theyre also struggling on Steam Deck. CS2 isnt supposed to be a high demanding game. That said, bad job from Valve.

I'm not a shooter games fan, but rather a racing games fan, so my racing games are doing just fine, except for rFactor 2 - but this one I should blame Studio 397 for a really bad development. To a point theyre behind Assetto Corsa in everything.

On other side note, all my three 86box vms (3.11, 95 and 98) are doing great. I even made a Windows Mistake Edition (Windows Me) vm to test.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 237 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also got a few classic games to run on Win 11 arm64 @ Parallels Desktop 19.

Like, Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3D, and in full widescreen glory thanks to nglide/dgvoodoo2.

GP500 also runs OK after a few hurdles to overcome.

Star Wars Rebel Assault II will have to go on 86box Win 95 machine.

Next I will try to get Motocross Madness 2 working for a friend.

@Dominus : Hows going your M1 Mini?

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 238 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a go with CART Precision Racing on Windows 98 and 86box.

This game (and Rogue 3D) needs SoftFPU enabled to run. Else both games will crash.

I was not able to make it run on modern Windows 11 tho.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 239 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a small update on my list of games available on Windows 11 ARM64 Parallels vm.

Screenshot_2023-10-14_at_4.png
Filename
Screenshot_2023-10-14_at_4.png
File size
272.54 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

JOBS, Steve.