VOGONS

Reply 23200 of 27059, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was gonna say there is some halogenated brake cleaner that might do the biz for deoxidising, but it's nasty to use inside.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 23201 of 27059, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

tiny bit of WD-40 is used to protect from corrosion and rust. One or two drops with brush....
In my country, all general electricians use it....

I want to restore my late father's 1st ever computer IBM ET&T PC-XT that he gifted me.
Hope you will be kind enough to guide and support me to restore his loving memory.

Reply 23202 of 27059, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When I clean boards and add-on cards, I use soapy distilled water (warmed up in the microwave) for washing, plain distilled water for rinsing, 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol for getting the water off, especially in hard-to-reach places, and an air compressor. For corrosion, I hit it with a vinegar bath with a bit of baking soda before I do the wash cycle.

If there's anything that needs to move around (such as motors), I add machine oil to the shafts and grease the rails and see if they move freely. I saved 2 of the 360K full-height floppy drives from getting scrapped and they still work today.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 23203 of 27059, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-11-21, 19:48:

I've been considering testing WD-40 as it's a 90% ingredient match for the spendier contact cleaners, and the cheaper ones, all the effectiveness is in the IPA content. It shouldn't damage PCB, IC packages or traces and contacts at all, but might remove screen printing, soften heatshrink like around capacitors and any globs of hot glue/wax that are holding inductors in place.

The problem with WD-40 is that it is flammable, and if you leave it on as residue and say a tantalum capacitor goes boom..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23205 of 27059, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been watching old "The Computer Chronicles" videos about laptops. Really love the manner of the presentation, guys form IBM, Compaq, NEC, etc, come and present their laptop models. And that late 80-ies-90-ies style is very fun to watch.
What caught my interest was this mini computer Lexmark Lexbook with a Disney Sound Source built-in. Never heard of it before. Does anyone happern to have one on the forum?
https://youtu.be/i_AB-es1pFk?t=88
some more info.
https://gadgets.notjakob.com/DOSPALMTOP/lexbookmb15.html

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 23206 of 27059, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ayandon wrote on 2022-11-22, 04:03:

tiny bit of WD-40 is used to protect from corrosion and rust. One or two drops with brush....

There is a WD 40 dedicated spray, that is called WD 40 contact cleaner. Also, a very cool guy on youtube called Necroware uses it for the repair of old electronics. I would rather recommend this one, over a basic WD 40. Or get some dioxide spray. That would also be OK.

Reply 23207 of 27059, by DundyTheCroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Turbo -> wrote on 2022-11-22, 11:46:
ayandon wrote on 2022-11-22, 04:03:

There is a WD 40 dedicated spray, that is called WD 40 contact cleaner. Also, a very cool guy on youtube called Necroware uses it for the repair of old electronics. I would rather recommend this one, over a basic WD 40. Or get some dioxide spray. That would also be OK.

I use that WD40 contact cleaner and it works very well.

Reply 23208 of 27059, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll make separate post from my CS9233 wavetable synth experiments. In the meantime I tested some DOOM recordings. For some reason my guitar turns into piano, don't know why. Maybe some reset occurs or something... I'll test later how original Terratec performs. Here are two samples, quite refreshing, right? 😁

Edit: playback using original Terratec SOWT-11 was perfectly fine. Problem was one bypass capacitor in midi uart trace which I didn't bother to measure and just put there some random value. Well, my random value was 300 times too large sucking uart data. Anyway, plays good now.

Attachments

Last edited by fool on 2022-11-22, 18:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Toshiba T8500 desktop
SAM/CS9233 Wavetable Synthesizer daughterboard
Coming: 40-pin 8MB SIMM kit, CS4232 ISA wavetable sound card

Reply 23209 of 27059, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have some fun with coloring)))

Attachments

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 23210 of 27059, by gmaverick2k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got copies of 100 best dos games. Trying to get epicpinball to work. Keep getting 560kb memory required error. Used philscomputerlabs pif file for restart in MS-DOS mode. Still not able to get it to 560kb or more using any of the options.

"What's all this racket going on up here, son? You watchin' yer girl cartoons again?"

Reply 23211 of 27059, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does anybody know if there is a modded BIOs available for the XPS M60 that overrides the need for the correct power supply? It doesn't recognize the 130w adapter I have for my XPS M1710 or the one for my XPS Gen1, apparently it only works with model PA4E. The underclock this thing applies without the correct power supply is brutal.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 23212 of 27059, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I got these cool custom mousepads, bought from Amazon, for my Pentium II and Pentium MMX retro builds

Attachments

Reply 23213 of 27059, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Demetrio wrote on 2022-11-23, 17:05:

Today I got these cool custom mousepads, bought from Amazon, for my Pentium II and Pentium MMX retro builds

Those look awesome! What seller did you get those from?

486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards
Ultimate Windows XP build

Reply 23214 of 27059, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-11-23, 17:08:
Demetrio wrote on 2022-11-23, 17:05:

Those look awesome! What seller did you get those from?

On Amazon, there are various sellers who make custom mousepads: during checkout, you upload the image you want and they send you the mousepad with that image printed.
I choose the cheapest seller for Italy, but anyone should be ok.

Reply 23215 of 27059, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it a Miracle?!!

This is a very very old PCI Lan card which was packed decades ago. Dust+Rust.
It was installed in our PC with K6-2 500 processor and motherboard.

At 1st, it did not detected in a Core 2 Due based system at all 💔
I wanted to restore it as experiment for my restoration work and steps for other major restoration works.

Experiment-1: I cleaned it with IPA and a Toothbrush. Then dried it using Hair-dryer.
No improvement 💔 Not detected 😔

Experiment-2: I washed it with Vinegar. Then washed it with Soap water followed by clean tap water. Then dried it using Hair-dryer.
And then left for 2 days in the Sun. Then added a tiny drop of WD-40 and brushed all over it.

Now, its fully working and running! 🥳❤️

BYzz9Hd.jpgBN8Ot79.jpg

I want to restore my late father's 1st ever computer IBM ET&T PC-XT that he gifted me.
Hope you will be kind enough to guide and support me to restore his loving memory.

Reply 23216 of 27059, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The capacitor may have gone a bit stale. Sometimes it takes a few power cycles for an old card to come back to life. The cleaning may or may not have had something to do with it.

Also, please don't coat your electronics in WD-40. It's flammable.

Reply 23217 of 27059, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never had any experience with MO disks/floppies(?). Today, i received my first ones. Found a local ad and someone sold 15 MO disks for few bucks. (4x640MB + 11x230MB) As i do want to collect one working example of every removable medium and eventually do benchmarks and describe drivers situation in every operating system, i already had one MO internal SCSI drive on the shelf from earlier.

I remember so vividly how i walked through the stores as a kid and saw those "600MB+ floppies", which was pure magic to me. At that time, we had a 286 with 40MB HDD at home...
Today is the first day i see, hear and feel how this medium works! Everything is a new experience, while at the same time, strongly connected to the feelings i had when i was a just a little boy in shop dreaming.

Love it!
Now looking through these disks. Lots of copies of win95, win98 and office 95 installers. Also saw Norton Commander 4.0 and 5.0 on some disks. Maybe there will be something archivable and interesting, we'll see...

Attachments

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 23219 of 27059, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-11-23, 19:48:

The capacitor may have gone a bit stale. Sometimes it takes a few power cycles for an old card to come back to life. The cleaning may or may not have had something to do with it.

Also, please don't coat your electronics in WD-40. It's flammable.

Ok. Thanks for the tips.