VOGONS

First post, by deksar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd like to ask about the stability for the VIA 4-in-1 chipset drivers on ASUS P4V8X-X (PT800 chipset) mainboard, for Windows 98SE.

What version should be the most appropriate one? As I read/heard, the latest/recent versions of VIA hyperion drivers are not really optimized for Windows 98SE.

What version do you prefer on Win98SE? Any idea, please?

My specs are: Pentium 4 - 1.80 Ghz - 1 x 256 MB DDR400 RAM - 120 GB IDE/PATA HDD.

Thanks.

Reply 2 of 10, by VDNKh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The latest one is fine for stability on a PT880. 5.14 is the next go-to if you have any issues with it. Install the chipset and AGP drivers one at a time, you don't need IDE or RAID. The chipset installer will say it failed, but reboot it and all the drivers will appear. Unless you're using a PCIe GPU, you may run into this AGP Memory bug present in the 98 AGP drivers for the PT880 and K8T800. You should be able to downgrade your BIOS to fix it though.

Reply 3 of 10, by deksar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi VDNKh, thanks a lot for your reply.

I was reading the link you posted above.

Regarding the bug, I have Ati Radeon 9550 GPU - 128 Bit 256 MB, not an Nvidia one, does it differ here? And the chipset is PT800, not a PT880.

In order to downgrade, I plan to use afudos.exe under MS-DOS, I think I did that once, downgraded from 1009.008 Beta Version to 1008.

What's the suggested BIOS version? I guess it seems 1005 is the latest recommended one?

Here's my motherboard's BIOS list:

https://www.asus.com/supportonly/p4v8xx/helpdesk_bios/

Many thanks once again.

Reply 4 of 10, by VDNKh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
deksar wrote on 2022-11-29, 18:30:
Hi VDNKh, thanks a lot for your reply. […]
Show full quote

Hi VDNKh, thanks a lot for your reply.

I was reading the link you posted above.

Regarding the bug, I have Ati Radeon 9550 GPU - 128 Bit 256 MB, not an Nvidia one, does it differ here? And the chipset is PT800, not a PT880.

In order to downgrade, I plan to use afudos.exe under MS-DOS, I think I did that once, downgraded from 1009.008 Beta Version to 1008.

What's the suggested BIOS version? I guess it seems 1005 is the latest recommended one?

Here's my motherboard's BIOS list:

https://www.asus.com/supportonly/p4v8xx/helpdesk_bios/

Many thanks once again.

Damn I'm getting dyslexic. The bug affects all AGP GPUs regardless of make. I actually don't know if that bug affects the PT800 chipset though. Try it without downgrading BIOS. You'll know if you have the bug or not when you open 3DMark01 and see under System Info that you have 0 bytes of AGP memory

Spoiler

file.php?id=132460&mode=view

Reply 5 of 10, by deksar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, I think I have the same bug.

But it was disappeared after downgrading the BIOS, from 1009.008 to 1005.

Here are the screenshots;

1.jpg
3DMark01: Before downgrading the BIOS, total AGP memory was: 0 bytes.

2.jpg
3DMark01: After downgrading the BIOS, total AGP memory is as shown above.

3.jpg
GPU Card Properties Window: Current AGP Speed: was Disabled, it's now 8x Enabled after downgrade.

4.jpg
Dxdiag: "AGP Texture Acceleration" was Disabled, it's now Enabled after downgrade.

Reply 6 of 10, by VDNKh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
deksar wrote on 2022-11-29, 19:49:

Okay, I think I have the same bug.

But it was disappeared after downgrading the BIOS, from 1009.008 to 1005.

Yup that's the bug. I guess that's one more affected chipset to add to the list.

Reply 9 of 10, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VDNKh wrote on 2022-11-30, 18:13:
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-11-29, 23:48:

What about the K8T800?

Cheers,

Yes the bug is present there too. Downgrading the BIOS also fixes it.

But the board is not Asus, this one I have is a Fujitsu Siemens motherboard with K8T800 chipset, does this still have this bug?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 10 of 10, by VDNKh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-11-30, 20:59:

But the board is not Asus, this one I have is a Fujitsu Siemens motherboard with K8T800 chipset, does this still have this bug?

Cheers,

Very likely as it affects all makes of motherboards as far as I know. It's trivial to check just by seeing if you have > 0 bytes of AGP memory in 3DMark01, or in DXDiag sometimes it will report AGP texture acceleration will be disabled too.