VOGONS

Common searches

Gatekeeping in the retro hobby

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 40 of 114, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anders- wrote on 2023-01-19, 00:45:
Of course there's gatekeeping, it comes in the form of hoarding and monopolizing of various retro sources, one can observe it on […]
Show full quote

Of course there's gatekeeping, it comes in the form of hoarding and monopolizing of various retro sources, one can observe it on this forum.

A small amount of people keeping big collections of old gear is exactly what keeps it out of the hands of folks looking to get into the retro world.
Same goes for locations where hw/sw can be found, it's commonplace to brag about made purchases, but actually sharing sources/tips and risk things being picked up by others?

Sure, one can keep telling oneself "I just have a small collection of retro systems that I deserve, it won't keep anyone else out", but that's exactly what it does.

I don't see how it would work that way. Or at least how this would work on a forum like Vogons.

I'm one of those people with a larger hoard which was accumulated back when nobody wanted the stuff (including most people who at the time had no interest in it) and I found people with similar interests here.

And it comes across as strange to me to want to see it this way, as there are a lot of people here who will sell at lower price than the so-called market prices. Heck, there's even a thread about giving stuff away and it's been active for several years now I think?
If there is any general consensus about this, it would be that there early hobbyists are part of what helped forge this hobby into what it is today as they helped prevent a lot of this old stuff from getting to hardware heaven 😜

And tips have been shared a LOT here including where to find stuff cheaper. Unfortunately these sources will eventually run out. Same thing with people selling off their collections.

I'm sorry, but what you wrote here doesn't really come across to me as well thought out nor as something that actually happened. Or at least not when it comes to PC retro computing.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 41 of 114, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Meatball wrote on 2023-01-19, 00:47:
imi wrote on 2023-01-19, 00:19:

I don't think there's any gate keeping in retro, just people making snarky comments trying to feel superior over others. (and I don't mean the sarcasm and jokes ^^)
I guess a lot of people spend money to feel superior, it's the classic trope of having to have a better house, a better car than your neighbor just so you can show off, the same applies to retro hardware and games, there's just many people that think that way in general, so obviously if someone gets to enjoy retro games without spending the same amount of money they did they probably feel "attacked" and have to go bully them.

I'm here 99% for the hardware, I just enjoy hardware just as much as old games (if not maybe more) and while I advocate for people to try to have an "authentic" (whatever that's supposed to mean) experience if they have the means that doesn't mean I would tell anyone off for using an emulator/dosbox, quite the contrary, even dosbox and other emulators give you a more authentic experience than re-release versions or ports... not that there's anything wrong with them either, hey everyone should just do whatever they enjoy and not get bothered by what other people enjoy as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, idk why that is so hard nowadays.

You don't have to spend a lot of money to be attacked. All you have to do is buy Asus or install a fan on a passive heatsink with screws or use the "wrong" kind of thermal paste. That guy will be around soon, enough.

We already had the thermal paste guy here with the "Use AS5 and not that white stuff" 🤣 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 42 of 114, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote on 2023-01-19, 09:45:

And tips have been shared a LOT here including where to find stuff cheaper. Unfortunately these sources will eventually run out. Same thing with people selling off their collections.

^this... also the argument is kinda weird to come from a person that apparently deleted almost all of their old posts on here, speaking about sharing.

also that attitude doesn't really help to get people to share more, I always enjoy people sharing their finds, any comments about being "jealous" and similar are just friendly banter among like minded people.

Reply 43 of 114, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote on 2023-01-18, 19:38:

When I rebuilt my 486 in 2008 here (M919 AM586@160+s3trio64v+awe32=59.79speedsys), there wasn't an exponentially growing PC collection from there (I never caught "the bug"). That machine would later be used to crosscheck some bugs in DOSbox and PCem. It was then decommissioned for a PSU failure. There were no vogons peer pressure nor status symbols from it.

I've had my share of recieving "emulation abandonware fan" condescending before, despite, well...having had computers for at least 3 decades now and already had done real hardware captures that likely introduced some into the hobby (especially regarding PVR1 interest).

There's also that "3dfx rulez" meta gatekeeping I'm not a big fan of. A huge motivation behind my research into emulating the 3dfx video filter was to demystify the "3dfx just looks better!! so buy my $300+ card for best retro graphic's!" that goes around, thus lowering the barrier towards that "3dfx experience" and for posterity. 😀 I personally think the post-STB vendor-killing 3dfx brand refresh is horrible and I don't have much nostalgia for it. I also had grown a dislike for third-party modded drivers and how they're often "recommended". Sure, there's a lot of unique quirks 3dfx hardware does, but 3dfx's popular for the common stuff (blending, fog table, palettes, lean API and driver) rather than for the quirks and they're not the only cards around to cover that.

I agree with you. And I say that as somebody who is something of a 3dfx fan. heck, I played the entire Unreal campaign first on a TNT2 M64 and later on a Voodoo 2 and tbh I don't even remember them looking any different (yes it really ran on the V2 using glide 🤣). Sure, there was perhaps a few years in between but it apparently wasn't enough to impress me with how glide supposedly looked much superior, because to me it didn't.

If I had to pick now, I'd probably just pick the TNT2 M64 for current prices as I know I probably won't notice much or any difference anyway. Perhaps if someone were to show me the difference I would, but I know I would be just as happy and immersed playing Unreal with a TNT2 M64 these days (yes I am still something of a 3dfx fan xD 😜).

Finally.........I don't have any midi modules. 😀

Me nether 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 44 of 114, by Anders-

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
I don't see how it would work that way. Or at least how this would work on a forum like Vogons. […]
Show full quote
Of course there's gatekeeping, it comes in the form of hoarding and monopolizing of various retro sources, one can observe it on […]
Show full quote

Of course there's gatekeeping, it comes in the form of hoarding and monopolizing of various retro sources, one can observe it on this forum.

A small amount of people keeping big collections of old gear is exactly what keeps it out of the hands of folks looking to get into the retro world.
Same goes for locations where hw/sw can be found, it's commonplace to brag about made purchases, but actually sharing sources/tips and risk things being picked up by others?

Sure, one can keep telling oneself "I just have a small collection of retro systems that I deserve, it won't keep anyone else out", but that's exactly what it does.

I don't see how it would work that way. Or at least how this would work on a forum like Vogons.

I'm one of those people with a larger hoard which was accumulated back when nobody wanted the stuff (including most people who at the time had no interest in it) and I found people with similar interests here.

And it comes across as strange to me to want to see it this way, as there are a lot of people here who will sell at lower price than the so-called market prices. Heck, there's even a thread about giving stuff away and it's been active for several years now I think?
If there is any general consensus about this, it would be that there early hobbyists are part of what helped forge this hobby into what it is today as they helped prevent a lot of this old stuff from getting to hardware heaven 😜

I'm sorry, but what you wrote here doesn't really come across to me as well thought out nor as something that actually happened. Or at least not when it comes to PC retro computing.

No need to be sorry, I just call things as I see them, same as you do.
When it comes to hoarding I'm in a similar situation, I've saved quite a few items from "hardware heaven" mostly back in the day when there was no obvious monetary value in old electronics. But that was then, grabbing stuff today isn't necessarily about saving things from being scrapped, but rather from being picked up by someone else.

Is there really a need for a person to keep, say, +10 486 systems for personal use? Sharing the resources could easily get a few folks new to the retro-hobby something to tinker with.
And as for sharing tips, they are of course only shared after one first have picked up all the goodies. Not very often we see a post saying "Shop xxx looks good, I walked by yesterday and they seem to have a large collection of nos/etc.", do we?

My point of view is that hoarding is most certainly not "for the good of mankind", but rather us grabbing all the stuff we can for personal enjoyment - if that means keeping things out of the hands from others, so be it.

Måttfull och balanserad.

Reply 45 of 114, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do get it with consoles, cameras, or any other hardware that wasn't really customisable. If you have built your Amiga out of reproduction parts is it really an authentic Amiga?
But what if your not interested in authentic but just after the experience? I would argue that reproduction Amiga is alot closer then an emulator on a computer.
And what about modern upgrades like CF cards, memory, etc? does installing that in an original Amiga mean its no longer authentic now it contains hardware much newer?

Rules in hobbies are stupid. Hobbies are all about enjoyment and no one can decide for someone else what is and isn't enjoyable.

PC's at least are a bit harder to do this as from the early days they were highly customisable.
Doesn't stop some people trying. Some posts would have you think you HAVE to have a ET4000, Creative or Yamaha sound card, etc.
Even though all these suffer incompatibility in certain situations or cheaper more common parts are available that realistically perform just as well.
Because of the amount of options we have, and we all have our "goto" hardware lists it does make it hard for the community as a whole to decide on a specific list of "allowed hardware"

Although Facebook and other social media is famously toxic and full of trolls. I wouldn't waste my time thinking about anything said on those platforms.

Reply 46 of 114, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anders- wrote on 2023-01-19, 10:48:

My point of view is that hoarding is most certainly not "for the good of mankind", but rather us grabbing all the stuff we can for personal enjoyment - if that means keeping things out of the hands from others, so be it.

first and foremost it keeps things out of landfills.

Reply 47 of 114, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anders- wrote on 2023-01-19, 10:48:
No need to be sorry, I just call things as I see them, same as you do. When it comes to hoarding I'm in a similar situation, I'v […]
Show full quote
I don't see how it would work that way. Or at least how this would work on a forum like Vogons. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

No need to be sorry, I just call things as I see them, same as you do.
When it comes to hoarding I'm in a similar situation, I've saved quite a few items from "hardware heaven" mostly back in the day when there was no obvious monetary value in old electronics. But that was then, grabbing stuff today isn't necessarily about saving things from being scrapped, but rather from being picked up by someone else.

Is there really a need for a person to keep, say, +10 486 systems for personal use? Sharing the resources could easily get a few folks new to the retro-hobby something to tinker with.
And as for sharing tips, they are of course only shared after one first have picked up all the goodies. Not very often we see a post saying "Shop xxx looks good, I walked by yesterday and they seem to have a large collection of nos/etc.", do we?

It's their stuff, so imo they can do with it what they want. Just let them.

We've had people on this forum overclocking certain motherboards till death (one was some black pearl motherboard or something along those lines). Personally I wouldn't do that (plenty reasons not to do so, one of them being that even overclocked it's still dreadfully slow compared to todays hardware), but in the end it's their stuff and they can do with it whatever they want.

For the good of mankind? Ehh, I guess that sort of thing is just not my thing. I collected out of interest and because I liked the distraction and I've had so much fun doing it! ^^
Personally I enjoy seeing others enjoying their hobby in the way they like it. I particularly like the diversity in what people tend to, so to say, specialize in as we can learn from eachother and enjoy eachother's stories.

Personally I don't like these old parts having become so much harder to get (in many cases) and especially with how expensive certain parts have become but in a way this is inevitable as there are factors beyond the control of the ordinary retro pc hobbyist.

The elitism in that youtube video, seems like some kind of narcism to me. Just let that dad enjoy the hobby he wants to. If people want to use an M2 drive in their 386, let them even though personally I'd probably never do it (or perhaps I should say 'never' do it because you never know 😜 😜 ).

And the jealousy thingy is also kinda inevitable. I learned to just be happy with what I do have instead of eternal yearning for the stuff I don't have. I don't have a single Roland thingy and I absolutely LOVE how it can makes certain games sound! <3
But I can be perfectly happy just using some 'mediocre' sound blaster as long as it's at least half decent.
Some others will absolutely want the better sound cards for a myriad of reasons and virtually none of them are wrong. Just let people enjoy the hobby in a way they want to and this goes for any specific hardware or software item.

For example, win98SE or WinME? Both will work better in certain situations and objective arguments can be made for either. Which one one picks is really mostly a matter of personal circumstances and experiences and personal tastes. Just let them.

Report spammers here!

Reply 48 of 114, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i'd add that gatekeeping in the sense of the original reference video - that of claiming dominion of a given subject matter and hence the position from which to criticise it - is essentially impotent but not completely without merit

if one has an interest in sword fighting in ancient times then to really do it there would be a need to use materials and training from that time (the part that has merit) but it is not correct to say than anything except 100% adherence to that is a hopeless compromise completely invalidating the experience

same goes for tech hobbies but with the extra factor that it doesn't really matter enough either way

Reply 49 of 114, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2023-01-18, 09:00:
Hi everyone, […]
Show full quote

Hi everyone,

Just saw this video and thought I should share it with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-0iCEcuAXw

Gratefully, people here at Vogons are generally not like that.

The problems being mentioned in the video should be kept in mind, maybe, however.
So they won't find another ground to grow in.

Before watching this, I didn't really realize the dimension of the matter.

The worst I knew were Commodore diehards arguing on the web. 😁
- On the other hand, the guys at Forum64 are friendly, too, afaik. 🙂👍
Ok, ok, enough about that now.

Best wishes,
Jo22

...I have a kitted out A1200 ...WinUAE is miles better ..like it can emulate hardware to the point its simply a easier/faster way of pissing about with Amiga software and hardware, same for the C64 emulator C64 Forever uses ..its simply better than the original hardware if you don't already own it, and even if you do own it the emulator still has it beat in many situations.

Heck I don't like DOSBox but its been a godsend for the people who don't own period DOS hardware to relive the games of their youth and that is never a bad thing, so long as someone is playing these old games there will be someone else making sure and emulator exists to run it.

Gatekeepers like the ones in this video are not helping anyone..least of all the retro scene they inhabit.

Last edited by TrashPanda on 2023-01-19, 13:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 50 of 114, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's also that "3dfx rulez" meta gatekeeping I'm not a big fan of. A huge motivation behind my research into emulating the 3dfx video filter was to demystify the "3dfx just looks better!! so buy my $300+ card for best retro graphic's!" that goes around, thus lowering the barrier towards that "3dfx experience" and for posterity. 😀 I personally think the post-STB vendor-killing 3dfx brand refresh is horrible and I don't have much nostalgia for it. I also had grown a dislike for third-party modded drivers and how they're often "recommended". Sure, there's a lot of unique quirks 3dfx hardware does, but 3dfx's popular for the common stuff (blending, fog table, palettes, lean API and driver) rather than for the quirks and they're not the only cards around to cover that.

I don't have any real nostalgia for 3dfx at all since I didn't have any of their products back then when they were hot. Due to my current interest, only the earlier ones caught my attention.

Regarding modded 3dfx stuff, I did one for Voodoo2 cards (shameless self-promotion 😜) that makes them able to run the handful of DOS games that they couldn't normally. At least it is an interesting effort than these overrated third-party drivers.

Last edited by Gmlb256 on 2023-01-19, 13:07. Edited 1 time in total.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 51 of 114, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-01-19, 13:01:

I don't have any real nostalgia for 3dfx at all since I didn't have any of their products back then when they were hot. Only the earlier ones caught my attention due to my current interests.

Regarding modded 3dfx stuff, I did one for Voodoo2 cards (shameless self-promotion 😜) that makes them able to run the handful of DOS games that they couldn't normally. At least it is more interesting effort that these overrated third-party drivers.

I ran SLI Voodoo2 back in the day and the only engine that had any visual differences between Glide and D3D was Unreal where you could see the texture blending differences between the two APIs .. now this may have been due to how immature D3D was at the time along with the Voodoo2 not having great D3D support but the difference was there. Glide really did look better on Glide hardware . .duh.

-Edit Diablo II Glide looked better than D3D, but DII had shit D3D support initially.
-Edit 2 ..Unreal S3TC .. this looked amazing on hardware that supported it .. blew both Glide and D3D away for texture quality, really wish it had been picked up by nVidia or ATI and had more development.

Then along came the TnT2 and well ..it looked better all round thanks to 32bit rendering ..but fuck nVidia and their dithering bullshit.

Reply 52 of 114, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-01-19, 13:07:

I ran SLI Voodoo2 back in the day and the only engine that had any visual differences between Glide and D3D was Unreal where you could see the texture blending differences between the two APIs .. now this may have been due to how immature D3D was at the time along with the Voodoo2 not having great D3D support but the difference was there. Glide really did look better on Glide hardware . .duh.

Unreal was Epic's first attempt on a 3D engine and it shows, there isn't feature parity between renderers (D3D and OpenGL weren't initially there) and even Glide isn't immune as there were changes between versions.

At first it didn't support multi-texturing on Glide, but eventually it was added at the expense of overbright and making the game look darker, causing to add compensation for it in later versions of the game.

-Edit 2 ..Unreal S3TC .. this looked amazing on hardware that supported it .. blew both Glide and D3D away for texture quality, really wish it had been picked up by nVidia or ATI and had more development.

S3TC usage did become widespread way after Unreal was released, being supported in D3D and as an extension in OpenGL. No one was oblivious of the advantage it had. 😉

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 53 of 114, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-01-19, 13:07:

I used to think so too, but I got kinda disenchanted after getting a Savage4 card and seeing it in action for myself. Very few textures actually got higher quality versions. The vast majority of maps look exactly the same as without S3TC. You can see some screenshots and my thoughts on that here.

And yeah, S3TC eventually became DXTC, which was quite widespread.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 54 of 114, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everyone,

Isn't this channel part of that conservative couple that posted a crying video about someone suing/ copyright trolling them over the usage of a picture used in one of their prior videos when in reality they refused to pay roughly 100$, attempting to create immense amount of internet drama and even accepting financial help from people like TheQuartering in the process?
I would take anything coming out of either channel with a huge grain of salt.

also, fuck gatekeeping

Reply 55 of 114, by Mandrew

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are literally millions upon millions of hardware and sources available for excellent prices and people still complain that this hobby is overtaken by hoarders and scalpers. It's sooo old. Aside from a few niché items this hobby is cheap and sources are vast. You want an expensive and difficult hobby? Try classic car restoration.

Reply 56 of 114, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Please be aware regarding Unreal GlideDrv vs D3DDrv comparisons:

- Different Voodoo hardware also renders GlideDrv differently to another (it's brighter on Voodoo1 and Banshee due to no multitexture combine path, and the sky is blended different). There's also differences between Unreal versions regarding this (i.e. it's super dark on Voodoo2 around 208 when mtex was added, later versions shift and clamp the lightmap data to compensate like GLQuake)
- D3DDrv was an anonymous contractor's work-in-progress driver that wasn't finished and has some weird cruft of its own (Q2-style 'intensity' brightness that gives some texture loss (very noticeable on UT's menu), gratuitous additional detail texture layers to eat the fillrate, and 'PRECACHING' 😀)

If you disable detail texturing on both and keep the brightness to a normal level, they should look very close. It's not like you're comparing it with SGLDrv which blends the lightmap as an alpha (as well as everything else as an alpha) giving a quasi-Saturn/N64-like look to the game.

Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-01-19, 13:32:

No one was oblivious of the advantage it had. 😉

There's the photoshop filter syndrome textures that'll wear off the novelty quickly, but the real reason S3TC was adopted is about loading textures quicker - graphics drivers aren't allowed to mangle them, making for more consistent (though slightly blocky) artwork, and faster loading times of course. Not all of them used texture compression for larger textures in the 2000s (Q3 engines besides UbertoolsMOHAA/EF2, COD and S3Quake3 had S3TC implemented for the sake of Savage's poor texture cache regarding non-compressed formats)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 57 of 114, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Garrett W wrote on 2023-01-19, 15:47:
Isn't this channel part of that conservative couple that posted a crying video about someone suing/ copyright trolling them over […]
Show full quote

Hi everyone,

Isn't this channel part of that conservative couple that posted a crying video about someone suing/ copyright trolling them over the usage of a picture used in one of their prior videos when in reality they refused to pay roughly 100$, attempting to create immense amount of internet drama and even accepting financial help from people like TheQuartering in the process?
I would take anything coming out of either channel with a huge grain of salt.

also, fuck gatekeeping

Yes, yes it is, Lady Decade's channel and her husband Top Hat Gaming Man. I read this thread before without even seeing the video, now that I know I won't even click the link itself to offer them my viewing count and what else. But now that you point it out, they made a video where she cried over not having money to pay for a copyright strike with shelves from left to right behind her filled to the ceiling with rare games and consoles worth way, way more than the amount she mentioned. But to me the worst thing was she kept saying "how are we supposed to feed our children if our YouTube channels are closed, we can't afford to pay this" and on top of all proceeded to actively exposing photos of their kids in the video to reinforce the pity party. People kept accusing them of not writing their own scripts (paying someone to do it, which isn't a big issue to me) and that she was only luring the "thirst gamer views" with big cleavages but to me that's not that different from what we can find all over today or even that serious of an issue as well, but I've never seen something like that video in particular, it really was low.

Whether the copyright issue was legit or a trolling attempt either way it exposed them to a point where there's just no coming back. Everyone does what they want with their money, but to me it's baffling that people even decided to donate a single penny to them after watching that video. I don't even follow gaming channels that much but I saw the video within the few hours it was up on YouTube, which I assume is one of the reasons that they still have more or less the same number of subscribers, who aren't familiar with all of this.

As for gatekeeping, speaking for myself it does exist more and more in this hobby and I have felt it too. It's getting more and more similar to audiophile "culture", with the same attitude and lack of culture and knowledge sharing to which Vogons is a great exception, hence why I'm here. The only difference is that gatekeepers in our hobby are more knowledgeable than audiophiles, who are by far the most ignorant and most arrogant at the same time, which is the absolute worst combination, to be that confident while lacking any true technical knowledge or most of the times even the basic of basics about acoustics and electrotechnical knowledge. In our hobby to me that translates more into what was said here, if you don't have component A or B you are not having the true experience, hence "they" tend to recommend the absolute best of a particular class of hardware while 95% of people would be more than happy with cheaper and more readily available hardware with perfectly good or even great results.

But as someone said before in this thread people went so deep into the rabbit hole and spent so much time and money that they have no choice but to cling to the most absolute of extremes to justify and protect their position.

Reply 59 of 114, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
awgamer wrote on 2023-01-19, 18:00:

Also, retro gaming as an identity?

People do form identities based on their hobbies. This is a prime reason there are so many passionate arguments on the internet over otherwise trivial things.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards