VOGONS

Best GPU with S-Video out

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-01-25, 21:27:

Now you mention the Dolphin, developers released new one and even this requires Series S or Series X to run properly and needing so much power in GPU and processor turns me off as the idea of emulating since, without needing to buy so many dying older consoles. That's lot of space to take up which I have need to rebuild, repair and test. Whole thing about emulating is to get anyone interested to play old games with their computer that aren't high end, mostly low to mid end.

Cheers,

The UWP version is a fork (the mainline Dolphin doesn't have a UWP build yet). It requires an Xbox Series, because Xbox One's AMD Jaguar CPU is very weak, even for back then in 2013.

That requirement, however, has no bearing on the PC version. You can get a relatively ok performance even with 12 years old i5 CPUs and 10-11 years old higher midrange Geforce 600 cards. The only issue with the latter is that nvidia no longer provides drivers for it (except security ones), so compatibility will get worse over time.

7 years old Skylakes and 6 years old Geforce 10 cards have no issues.

Yes, you can't get a very good performance on hardware older than that, but it's unrealistic to expect software to stay static forever. Core 2 is close to 17 years old.

Last edited by eddman on 2023-01-25, 23:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22 of 26, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eddman wrote on 2023-01-25, 23:19:
The UWP version is a fork (the mainline Dolphin doesn't have a UWP build yet). It requires an Xbox Series, because Xbox One's AM […]
Show full quote
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-01-25, 21:27:

Now you mention the Dolphin, developers released new one and even this requires Series S or Series X to run properly and needing so much power in GPU and processor turns me off as the idea of emulating since, without needing to buy so many dying older consoles. That's lot of space to take up which I have need to rebuild, repair and test. Whole thing about emulating is to get anyone interested to play old games with their computer that aren't high end, mostly low to mid end.

Cheers,

The UWP version is a fork (the mainline Dolphin doesn't have a UWP build yet). It requires an Xbox Series, because Xbox One's AMD Jaguar CPU is very weak, even for back then in 2013.

That requirement, however, has no bearing on the PC version. You can get a relatively ok performance even with 12 years old i5 CPUs and 10-11 years old higher midrange Geforce 600 cards. The only issue with the latter is that nvidia no longer provides drivers for it (except security ones), so compatibility will get worse over time.

7 years old Skylakes and 6 years old Geforce 10 cards have no issues.

Yes, you can't get a very good performance on hardware older than that, but it's unrealistic to expect software to stay static forever. Core 2 is close to 16 years old.

What about high end Ivy Bridge Xeon or a i7-4790K (I have these), and what about broadwell Xeon 16 core (in my future computer upgrade plan based on HP Z440 and gobs of DDR4 2400. On GPU side, what about GTX 960 that I have now?
Or must I as you recommend on GPU to get GTX 1070 or 1080?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 23 of 26, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-01-25, 23:24:

Geforce2 and Geforce3, and 4 have S-video output, some FX 5xxx do.

Cheers,

And these are real s-video outputs that i can plug in directly? Not weird proprietary ViVo dongles?

Reply 24 of 26, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-01-25, 23:29:

What about high end Ivy Bridge Xeon or a i7-4790K (I have these), and what about broadwell Xeon 16 core (in my future computer upgrade plan based on HP Z440 and gobs of DDR4 2400. On GPU side, what about GTX 960 that I have now?
Or must I as you recommend on GPU to get GTX 1070 or 1080?

Cheers,

I see no reason why any of those would have a bad performance. Note that high core counts don't matter; what matters is good single core performance. Even a newer dual-core CPU should be fine, although it'd be better to stick to at least 4.

A 960 should be quite alright too, and is still getting new drivers, so you're covered there. A stronger card would help with higher render resolutions. If you do want to get a new card, maybe try getting at least a 20 series for better longevity.

EDIT: This subject is rather off-topic for this thread. You can ask on Dolphin's discord server for better recommendations.

Reply 25 of 26, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rishooty wrote on 2023-01-25, 23:30:

Cheers,

And these are real s-video outputs that i can plug in directly? Not weird proprietary ViVo dongles?

my FX5900 has an svideo out, it supports those splitters for component and whatnot, but a straight svideo or svideo to composite works just fine,
same for my HD 4670 and 8400GS

Reply 26 of 26, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SPBHM wrote on 2023-01-26, 15:10:
rishooty wrote on 2023-01-25, 23:30:

Cheers,

my FX5900 has an svideo out, it supports those splitters for component and whatnot, but a straight svideo or svideo to composite works just fine,
same for my HD 4670 and 8400GS

Sweet. So I guess my last question is, does this guarantee unscaled 480i output? Or is that driver or card dependent?

My goal is ultimately to find the most convenient out of the box solution without expensive or laggy downscalers, or messing with timings via soft15khz or emudriver, which are highly display dependent. I’m fully willing to give up 240p for that.

[EDIT] from the original poster's complaint (at least that I referenced), it seems he was mostly concerned about getting widescreen 720x480, and it only scaled at 800x600. I'm fine with unscaled 640x480.