VOGONS

First post, by makary23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I'm looking for a manual apricot XEN i-386 .
I can't enter BIOS in This computer.

I tried :
alt-s
Del
F2
Esc-alt-ctrl combination.

Could You help me , please ?

Thank You !

Piotr.

Attachments

Makary23

Reply 1 of 16, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No clue about the bios, closer examination of the bios code could give more insight.

I see this board is also not listed on theretroweb.com .
You could help the community out by posting some clear photos of the front & back of only the motherboard .
Even better if you can read out the bios and post it as well.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 16, by makary23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am attaching a detailed photo of the board - Leopard Motherboard REV B.

I have also attached the BIOS file that I found on the internet.

Attachments

• 20230110_082120.jpg
    Filename
    20230110_082120.jpg
    File size
    804.99 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Photo of Leopard Motherboard
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    apxeni.zip
    File size
    38.36 KiB
    Downloads
    37 downloads
    File comment
    BIOS Leopard Board
    File license
    Public domain

Makary23

Reply 3 of 16, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can also try holding a button down during post, so that it complains about keyboard error and tell you what to press to enter the BIOS and "fix" it.
This looks like an early 386, I believe the HDD is not even IDE? So there is a chance that the BIOS is configurable through a utility and not a built-in UI. A generic utility might or might not to the job for basic configuration, depending on how much "compatible" this machine is.
Oh and get rid of that Varta!

Reply 4 of 16, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seems the bios isn't really compressed, and there's just mention of using a setup program.
I guess you'll be hunting for some original software to set it up, or some generic software to setup the cmos entries.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 5 of 16, by makary23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote on 2023-02-10, 11:31:

You can also try holding a button down during post, so that it complains about keyboard error and tell you what to press to enter the BIOS and "fix" it.
This looks like an early 386, I believe the HDD is not even IDE? So there is a chance that the BIOS is configurable through a utility and not a built-in UI. A generic utility might or might not to the job for basic configuration, depending on how much "compatible" this machine is.
Oh and get rid of that Varta!

Hi,
if I press e.g. F1 key during POST I have keyboard error, but i have not hint what to press to enter the BIOS.
HDD is MFM, not IDE, but doesn't work, it doesn't spin up.
Am I to understand that the BIOS configuration can be done by an external program? For example from a floppy disk?
Battery VARTA has been removed.

Makary23

Reply 6 of 16, by makary23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2023-02-10, 12:00:

Seems the bios isn't really compressed, and there's just mention of using a setup program.
I guess you'll be hunting for some original software to set it up, or some generic software to setup the cmos entries.

So as above? Should I have the software on a floppy disk? Should I have a CMOS programmer (I have one) ?

Makary23

Reply 7 of 16, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

floppy likely

Do not ask Why !

Reply 8 of 16, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
makary23 wrote on 2023-02-10, 12:48:

Am I to understand that the BIOS configuration can be done by an external program? For example from a floppy disk?

Correct, since you don't have the original software you can try some generic CMOS utilities that allow setting up the basic stuff.
Nobody here can be 100% certain that there isn't a built-in UI, but at this point the external utility looks very probable.

Reply 9 of 16, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

is there a possibility it needs a BIOS command to start HDD rotation? or are those hard wired to always rotate? Might need some oil dripped into bearings and gentle persuasion (tap tap), might also got head welded to the platter and will get ripped off if you force it to move (seen few of those on YT).

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 10 of 16, by makary23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote on 2023-02-10, 13:23:
makary23 wrote on 2023-02-10, 12:48:

Correct, since you don't have the original software you can try some generic CMOS utilities that allow setting up the basic stuff.
Nobody here can be 100% certain that there isn't a built-in UI, but at this point the external utility looks very probable.

It will show what screen I have at startup. It says SETUP program. Maybe it needs a program or maybe not? Can anyone confirm this?

Attachments

• 20230108_203633.jpg
    Filename
    20230108_203633.jpg
    File size
    1.41 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Startup Screen
    File license
    Public domain

Makary23

Reply 11 of 16, by makary23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-02-10, 13:30:

is there a possibility it needs a BIOS command to start HDD rotation? or are those hard wired to always rotate? Might need some oil dripped into bearings and gentle persuasion (tap tap), might also got head welded to the platter and will get ripped off if you force it to move (seen few of those on YT).

Are you suggesting that I disassemble it?

Makary23

Reply 12 of 16, by makary23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For posterity. I found something like this:

http://actapricot.org/disks/aprididx.htm

apr00001.dsk - MSDOS 3.10 BIOS 3.1.1 MSD.COM VER 2.7.0 29-1-86

BIOS ?
Perhaps it is actually a BIOS graphics program on a floppy disk....

It only shows me an error when booting from a floppy drive (I have a non-genuine one).
Should this hardware have a 720kb floppy drive?

Makary23

Reply 13 of 16, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
makary23 wrote on 2023-02-10, 13:44:

definitely not! get bios in order as it might need a command to start, if still no start try gently tapping it. You can try rapidly rotating it as a last resort, but from what Iv seen welded head is game over.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 14 of 16, by makary23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-02-10, 14:18:
makary23 wrote on 2023-02-10, 13:44:

definitely not! get bios in order as it might need a command to start, if still no start try gently tapping it. You can try rapidly rotating it as a last resort, but from what Iv seen welded head is game over.

I will do as you advise. the disk is spinning!

Makary23

Reply 15 of 16, by makary23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all the advice. The computer is booting from the floppy disk. I can enter the BIOS through the setup program from floppy disk.

Piotr.

Attachments

Makary23

Reply 16 of 16, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This video almost looks tailored for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koei2ROGtiQ "Testing five old MFM hard drives"