VOGONS

SBEMU: Sound Blaster emulation on AC97

Topic actions

Reply 340 of 1390, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice. I have tested SBEMU on a 5570T which is similar, has the 8237A chip. I posted my results with it earlier in the thread (top of page 17)

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 341 of 1390, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote on 2023-03-31, 12:28:

Nice. I have tested SBEMU on a 5570T which is similar, has the 8237A chip. I posted my results with it earlier in the thread (top of page 17)

I believe T5570 has an onboard HDA while T5520 has AC97. https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t5570/

Toshiba Satellite Pro 4300 - YMF744, Savage IX
Toshiba Satellite 2805-S501 - YMF754, GeForce 2Go
IBM Thinkpad A21p - CS4624, Mobility Radeon 128
main: Intel NUC11PHKi7C Phantom Canyon: i7-1165G7 RTX2060 64G 2T760PSDD

Reply 342 of 1390, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, but it works with SBEMU anyway. Well, mostly - with the exceptions I already posted.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 344 of 1390, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Baron von Riedesel wrote on 2023-03-30, 21:59:
stamasd wrote on 2023-03-30, 18:43:

Also I tested the files in the attachment, on the Aspire One AO722. Whereas the previous package would give me some results, this version of SBEMU + ancillary files gives me "no soundcards found!" So I cannot test it.

Oh yes, I really have to change this anytime soon . The mpxplay code doesn't accept HDA devices that have no mixer ( usually HDMI ) - and I changed the scan method so that such devices may come first, resulting in this error msg. You'll have to run SBEMU with "sbemu /dev1" to start the scan with the second device...

Thank you, that worked. With "sbemu /dev1" on the AO722 the audio codec is detected and initialized correctly.
And disabling HDPMI before running setup then re-enabling it also works, as long as I don't test the sound settings inside setup (or else the computer freezes and needs a power cycle).
My binary of JJFFE also works now with SBEMU loaded without crashing. Unfortunately I get no sound, either digital sound or music although the settings are correct.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 346 of 1390, by mikedebian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max
Onboard Audio
SbEmu latest beta.

Epic Pinball OK, but with static noise (Sound Blaster Clone has to be selected. Any other will triple the speed of the sound)
Doom Freezes PC, same as before
Doom 2 Plutonium Experience OK, No issues
Doom 2 TNT OK, No issues
Duke Nukem 3D, Sound OK, Game crashes with jemmex exception fault after half a minute
Quake OK, No issues
Blake Stone Games OK, No issues
Catacomb games (Abyss,3D), OK, no issues
Corridor 7 Sound OK, some non-related issues
Operation Body Count, Sound OK, some non-related issues
Rise of the Triad, Sound OK, game freezes the computer when exiting (sound loop).
Wolfenstein 3D, OK, no issues

Reply 347 of 1390, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mikedebian wrote on 2023-03-31, 20:50:

Epic Pinball OK, but with static noise (Sound Blaster Clone has to be selected. Any other will triple the speed of the sound)

I found that setting the SBEMU output samplerate to 44100 Hz fixes this.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 348 of 1390, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Testing with a Dell Optiplex 3050 Micro miniPC: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/produ … 50-desktop/docs configured with a i5-6600T CPU and 8GB RAM. It has a realtek codec of some sort. Installed DOS 6.22 and the latest SBEMU.
The audio is recognized and enabled as Intel HDA.
But no sound is generated in any games, neither OPL nor digital sounds.
Sound works as expected in Windows.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 349 of 1390, by Baron von Riedesel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stamasd wrote on 2023-04-01, 00:12:

Testing with a Dell Optiplex 3050 Micro miniPC: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/produ … 50-desktop/docs configured with a i5-6600T CPU and 8GB RAM. It has a realtek codec of some sort. Installed DOS 6.22 and the latest SBEMU.

This symptom indicates that there's still a "power state" issue. Attached a version that might fix this problem.

Attachments

Reply 350 of 1390, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mikedebian wrote on 2023-03-31, 20:50:

fixed one problem now it's much better, with SBpro or SB16, but it still sounds fast than it should be - it might be my imagination. just check it out on the next release.
about the noise: the game applies a HW filter that utilize the mixer chip, we need a software filter - not implemented yet.

I also fixed a bug the /k parameter. ideally SBEMU should change sample rate without rebooting, just use SBEMU /k44100 after loaded. but it stopped working, probably due to last changes.

Reply 351 of 1390, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baron von Riedesel wrote on 2023-04-01, 03:41:

This symptom indicates that there's still a "power state" issue. Attached a version that might fix this problem.

Great! Have you found more power states related problem? if the fix tested working, plz share the modifications. 😁

Reply 352 of 1390, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CachoAlpuy wrote on 2023-03-31, 15:48:

Do you think it will work with a Dell C640 laptop? : Audio Type - AC97 (Soft Audio); Audio controller - ICH3, Cirrus Logic SC4205; Integrated Stereo Speakers
Also

Ideally it should work - MXPLAY has ICH3 driver, but the ICH3 board seems never tested (not by me, nor by the community). So it may have problems.

Reply 353 of 1390, by Baron von Riedesel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
urbanus wrote on 2023-03-31, 14:45:

Phil tested SBEMU...there is still some debugging to be done, or Phil used an old version where the bugs are fixed! 🙃

https://youtu.be/w2lOpKNzA2w

At least System Shock works with SBEMU on my system. However, one has to restrict free extended memory to 63/64 MB, else SS will complain about "not enough memory". The hdpmi cmdline option -x restricts reported "free memory" to 256 MB, that's obviously not sufficient. Perhaps yet another option for SBEMU needed?

Reply 354 of 1390, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baron von Riedesel wrote on 2023-04-01, 09:17:
urbanus wrote on 2023-03-31, 14:45:

Phil tested SBEMU...there is still some debugging to be done, or Phil used an old version where the bugs are fixed! 🙃

https://youtu.be/w2lOpKNzA2w

At least System Shock works with SBEMU on my system. However, one has to restrict free extended memory to 63/64 MB, else SS will complain about "not enough memory". The hdpmi cmdline option -x restricts reported "free memory" to 256 MB, that's obviously not sufficient. Perhaps yet another option for SBEMU needed?

I use jemmex option X2MAX to limit XMS to 16MB, it works for some real mode games, does that affect HDPMI too?
Btw it's not a good idea to add non SB/soundcard related parameters (free memory) to SBEMU - and it's not quite doable. But if what you mean is to add option to the customized HDPMI that is bundled with SBEMU, then it'll be good.

EDIT: it is doable via vendor extension, controlled by SBEMU, is that what you meant ?

Last edited by crazii on 2023-04-01, 09:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 355 of 1390, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
crazii wrote on 2023-03-05, 06:13:

Add SB direct mode handling (non-DMA, DSP command 10h) previously requested by @Bondi. tested game: Shanghai 2 - experimental, may have noises.

Hey crazii! Thanks for the direct mode, but it's not exactly what I meant 🤣 My bad, maybe I was not quite clear.
What I meant is to convert DMA output to non-dma output. For the cases when one has a hardware SB DSP, but no DMA. I.e. the tsr manually feeds data bytes to SB DSP (using 10h command) instead of the DMA conroller.

As for currently implemented direct mode, I knew of only one game that supports it - Alone in te Dark (and it's kins on the same engine). And now there is also this Shanghai 2. 😁

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 356 of 1390, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bondi wrote on 2023-04-01, 09:31:
Hey crazii! Thanks for the direct mode, but it's not exactly what I meant :lol: My bad, maybe I was not quite clear. What I mea […]
Show full quote

Add SB direct mode handling (non-DMA, DSP command 10h) previously requested by @Bondi. tested game: Shanghai 2 - experimental, may have noises.

Hey crazii! Thanks for the direct mode, but it's not exactly what I meant 🤣 My bad, maybe I was not quite clear.
What I meant is to convert DMA output to non-dma output. For the cases when one has a hardware SB DSP, but no DMA. I.e. the tsr manually feeds data bytes to SB DSP (using 10h command) instead of the DMA conroller.

As for currently implemented direct mode, I knew of only one game that supports it - Alone in te Dark (and it's kins on the same engine). And now there is also this Shanghai 2. 😁

Ok. I thought you're talking about both: direct input from game and direct output to Covox/PCMCIA cards 😁
but the other might be difficult as we discussed last time. 😁 it might be possible to do it by using the 1kHz RTC. The PIT is needed to be controlled by the front end games so not an option.

Reply 357 of 1390, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
crazii wrote on 2023-04-01, 09:42:
Bondi wrote on 2023-04-01, 09:31:
Hey crazii! Thanks for the direct mode, but it's not exactly what I meant :lol: My bad, maybe I was not quite clear. What I mea […]
Show full quote

Ok. I thought you're talking about both: direct input from game and direct output to Covox/PCMCIA cards 😁
but the other might be difficult as we discussed last time. 😁 it might be possible to do it by using the 1kHz RTC. The PIT is needed to be controlled by the front end games so not an option.

Some time ago I was trying to modify VSB (virtual sound blater) from covox output to mentioned direct mode. I just changed the
mov dx,ss:DACport
out dx,al
to direct mode routine to port 220h. And it actually worked somehow in wolf3d. The problem was that it started working not right away but after a while, like after several sound events. But when it worked, it worked well, even after exiting the game and strating it again it worked right away.
It didn't work in Prince, however. I was lacking the full understanding of how vsb worked, so basically got stuck at that point.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 358 of 1390, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, with the attached files I get sound on the Dell 3050m.
Test results:

OPL440: generates sound

Dune2: the setup program works for configuring the sound, but the game itself crashes (black screen at start, requires power cycle). That happens whether I enable or disable EMS in jemmex (sometimes that's a problem with this game)

Duke3d: sound setup program works, sound tests fine inside it for both music and effects. The game however doesn't launch, black screen at startup

Frontier:Elite2: works with full OPL music (needs EMS enabled AND over 580kB conventional memory, which is problematic on this machine when SBEMU is loaded; I had to disable mouse in order to be able to run the game; that is because the EMS page frame consumes all of the upper memory and the mouse driver as well as SBEMU, HDPMI etc. have to be loaded low)

JJFFE: the setup program crashes even with "hdpmi32i -d" run before it. However the game itself runs, but without any sound.

XCOM: works with full sound effects and music

Dune: setup program doesn't like SB, says IRQ7 already in use; does not complain if AdLib selected. But the game does not run, crashes at launch

Monkey Island: works with glorious OPL music

Heart Of China: setup program doesn't like SB, says "cannot initialize sound driver, sound card interrupt already in use". Accepts AdLib for music; game runs with OPL music.

(note on all the cases above where there seems to be an interrupt problem: SBEMU uses IRQ7 when started, and the BLASTER env variable contains I7)

Last edited by stamasd on 2023-04-01, 11:21. Edited 4 times in total.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 359 of 1390, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
crazii wrote on 2023-04-01, 06:00:

Great! Have you found more power states related problem? if the fix tested working, plz share the modifications. 😁

Yes, bug him to reveal the secrets because the fix works.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O