Reply 80 of 1660, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sharangad wrote on 2023-08-16, 05:32:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-08-15, 18:31:
sharangad wrote on 2023-08-15, 15:38:

Myth and F1 don't work. The others are pretty solid. Team apache is coming along quite nicely, hopefully within week there'll be a new alpha.

The single threaded logic was just for apache. If you set compatibility to win 98 in single threaded mode the first two corrupted videos playback before crashing.

I just call setprocessaffinity. I do the same for vhexen2 only the other way around, win98 forces single threaded mode, so I set it to all cores.

Alright then the only thing left is to check Myth TFL, and you to finish Team Apache. So another Windows graphics API is on its way to be successfully completed.

(next I would like to see is S3D API, but there's no news on it. At least SGL is being worked upon)

Myth TFL starts out with a parameter indicating render set to 2 (rredline). Just before initializing rendering this becomes it becomes 1 (3dfx) independently of rready. If there's no glide wrapper installed it crashes. The pointer to the parameter in question is *(DataSeg:4A7DC4+ 0x1C). Not sure if this is something DxWnd can fix. Probably from a Windows API call to query directdraw device name or something. The weird thing is it already calls V_EnumVeriteBoards in verite.dll so it know redline support exists.

Tell me the switch for Rendition.

and RReady is working!

Last edited by BEEN_Nath_58 on 2023-08-16, 07:33. Edited 1 time in total.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 81 of 1660, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-08-16, 07:18:

Alright then the only thing left is to check Myth TFL, and you to finish Team Apache. So another Windows graphics API is on its way to be successfully completed.

(next I would like to see is S3D API, but there's no news on it. At least SGL is being worked upon)

Myth TFL starts out with a parameter indicating render set to 2 (rredline). Just before initializing rendering this becomes it becomes 1 (3dfx) independently of rready. If there's no glide wrapper installed it crashes. The pointer to the parameter in question is *(DataSeg:4A7DC4+ 0x1C). Not sure if this is something DxWnd can fix. Probably from a Windows API call to query directdraw device name or something. The weird thing is it already calls V_EnumVeriteBoards in verite.dll so it know redline support exists.

and RReady is working!

Well something is odd in the graphics.

Attachments

• rredlinemyth.png
    Filename
    rredlinemyth.png
    File size
    207.05 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 82 of 1660, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-08-16, 07:24:

and RReady is working!

The game has problem unloading OpenGL mode for RRedline. The black space should have ingame instructions. The HUD and text are slanted when the game characters talk.

I had the game on 1.2, patched it to official 1.3, didn't use unofficial 1.5

Reply 83 of 1660, by sharangad

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

and RReady is working!

I didn't know of a switch. Just selected it in the menu.

What's the switch?

Developer of RReady - Rendition Verité Wrapper.
https://www.youtube.com/@sharangadayananda

Reply 84 of 1660, by sharangad

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-08-16, 08:00:

and RReady is working!

The game has problem unloading OpenGL mode for RRedline. The black space should have ingame instructions. The HUD and text are slanted when the game characters talk.

Tell me how you got it going and I'll fix those glitches. The skewing is because of a stride issue, bytes per row of texture . Team apache broke rready s memory model in many ways including stride. There were other issues relating to front buffer render.

Reply 85 of 1660, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sharangad wrote on 2023-08-16, 15:41:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-08-16, 08:00:

Tell me how you got it going and I'll fix those glitches. The skewing is because of a stride issue, bytes per row of texture . Team apache broke rready s memory model in many ways including stride. There were other issues relating to front buffer render.

DxWnd + Compat/all 4 limit flags + Compat/Handle Exceptions

This allows to run the game on RReady

Reply 86 of 1660, by robertmo3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

actually all you have to do is just place either these files (from dgvoodoo2):

dgVoodoo2_81_1.zip\MS\x86\DDraw.dll
dgVoodoo2_81_1.zip\dgVoodoo.conf (without dgvoodoo.conf colors in game were strange)

or these files (from dxwnd):

v2_05_97_build.rar\proxy\ddraw.dll
v2_05_97_build.rar\dxwnd.dll (game complained about missing dxwnd.dll so i added it too)

in game's folder.

No need to configure anything neither dgvoodoo nor dxwnd.
dgvoodoo is way faster than dxwnd.

Reply 87 of 1660, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robertmo3 wrote on 2023-08-16, 18:02:
actually all you have to do is just place either these files (from dgvoodoo2): […]
Show full quote

actually all you have to do is just place either these files (from dgvoodoo2):

dgVoodoo2_81_1.zip\MS\x86\DDraw.dll
dgVoodoo2_81_1.zip\dgVoodoo.conf (without dgvoodoo.conf colors in game were strange)

or these files (from dxwnd):

v2_05_97_build.rar\proxy\ddraw.dll
v2_05_97_build.rar\dxwnd.dll (game complained about missing dxwnd.dll so i added it too)

in game's folder.

No need to configure anything neither dgvoodoo nor dxwnd.
dgvoodoo is way faster than dxwnd.

You can't randomly keep promoting dgVoodoo2 because its fast. @sharangad is going after compatibility, not speed!

1. dgVoodoo2 doesn't even hook the GetDiskFreeSpace functions. How do you expect it to fix "memory swap" issues?
  2. Copying just DxWnd will do nothing. It is not designed to report "less memory" to games by default. You'll have to manually put in the memory value required and enable it. And it's not video/texture memory that the game complains about.
  3. Using just DxWnd/dgVoodoo2 can sometimes create illegal operations, its lesser on the latter side because of a newer, better API usage. The Handle Exceptions flag was just for that. How do you intend to enable that copying just two files when it is disabled by default?
  4. RReady doesn't even use DirectDraw/Direct3D so it doesn't really matter what's fast. Windows and him will look after the OpenGL part, nothing else will take away the performance from OpenGL.
  5. Not related here, but you also can't recommend dgVoodoo2 to fix DirectDraw issues for palettes directly using the I/O port communicating through DAC. In that case, only DxWnd could help (e.g. Terracide by Eidos). Similarly you can't tell DxWnd to be used to accurately fix colorkey bugs or such.

In case you didn't know, the game I tested was v1.3. You are probably on the modded 1.5 version. I mentioned it in my previous post and I didn't test it for a simple reason: 2005, modded game, no Rendition emulation back then on XP (pretty possible the modders made some mess in Rendition or removed it). So I didn't use it.

Reply 88 of 1660, by robertmo3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

you need fast environment for testing
the faster it is, the more options you can try in a limited amount of time
with dgvoodoo game have loading times may times faster than with dxwnd for me
he cannot run the game with rendition at all
hence i suggest the easiest method
i suggested that already before Re: RReady (Rendition Verite wrapper) Test Build (Alpha 1)
and i am surprised it still doesn't work for him

Reply 89 of 1660, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robertmo3 wrote on 2023-08-16, 19:18:
you need fast environment for testing the faster it is, the more options you can try in a limited amount of time with dgvoodoo g […]
Show full quote

i suggested that already before Re: RReady (Rendition Verite wrapper) Test Build (Alpha 1)

His game crashed after a Glide logo (nGlide loading) so copying ddraw.dll doesn't make sense here either. Maybe dgVoodoo2 will work if it modifies some memory pointers, something that could happen with DxWnd too.

Anyways he'll figure that out, the final product will not be problematic with DDraw anyways

Reply 90 of 1660, by robertmo3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Myth The Fallen Lords (Verite detected and selected, game switches over to glide rendering for some weird reason. WIll crash if no glide wrapper present).
Myth TFL starts out with a parameter indicating render set to 2 (rredline). Just before initializing rendering this becomes it becomes 1 (3dfx) independently of rready. If there's no glide wrapper installed it crashes.

this is exactly what i am getting when running the game without ddraw.dll from dgvoodoo2 in game's folder.
With ddraw.dll from dgvoodoo2 in game's folder redline just works.
myth has to be 1.3

Reply 91 of 1660, by sharangad

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo3 wrote on 2023-08-16, 22:00:
this is exactly what i am getting when running the game without ddraw.dll from dgvoodoo2 in game's folder. With ddraw.dll from d […]
Show full quote

Myth The Fallen Lords (Verite detected and selected, game switches over to glide rendering for some weird reason. WIll crash if no glide wrapper present).
Myth TFL starts out with a parameter indicating render set to 2 (rredline). Just before initializing rendering this becomes it becomes 1 (3dfx) independently of rready. If there's no glide wrapper installed it crashes.

this is exactly what i am getting when running the game without ddraw.dll from dgvoodoo2 in game's folder.
myth has to be 1.3

@Been_Nath , @RobertMo:

You guys are right. Myth 1.3 works fine with ddraw dlls from dxwnd or dgvoodoo. It looks to be a DirectDraw issue.
@Nath, it doesn't actually need dxwnd in the sense that only ddraw is required, but without dxwnd, dxwnd's ddraw.dll renders in a 640x480 window at the top left of the screen. So you do need dxwnd to configure window sizes and stuff.

I guess I'll have to reimplement ddraw.dll and do an rready flavour for distribution.

Ddraw dlls do nothing for Heavy Gear's menu screen's being corrupted on mission exit.

Thanks again guys. My pain is significantly lessened by your efforts.

PS. The corruption in Myth is related to the stuff I'm fixing in Team Apache. So hopefully both should work when I'm done.
The weird sections in Heavy Gear appear to be fogging related and will also be fixed in the next alpha.

Reply 92 of 1660, by sharangad

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-08-16, 21:02:
you need fast environment for testing the faster it is, the more options you can try in a limited amount of time with dgvoodoo g […]
Show full quote

His game crashed after a Glide logo (nGlide loading) so copying ddraw.dll doesn't make sense here either. Maybe dgVoodoo2 will work if it modifies some memory pointers, something that could happen with DxWnd too.

Anyways he'll figure that out, the final product will not be problematic with DDraw anyways

Actually it didn't get to an rready logo. It crashed before loading rready.

Reply 93 of 1660, by sharangad

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sharangad wrote on 2023-08-17, 05:14:
@Been_Nath , @RobertMo: […]
Show full quote
this is exactly what i am getting when running the game without ddraw.dll from dgvoodoo2 in game's folder. With ddraw.dll from d […]
Show full quote

myth has to be 1.3

@Been_Nath , @RobertMo:

You guys are right. Myth 1.3 works fine with ddraw dlls from dxwnd or dgvoodoo. It looks to be a DirectDraw issue.
@Nath, it doesn't actually need dxwnd in the sense that only ddraw is required, but without dxwnd, dxwnd's ddraw.dll renders in a 640x480 window at the top left of the screen. So you do need dxwnd to configure window sizes and stuff.

I guess I'll have to reimplement ddraw.dll and do an rready flavour for distribution.

Ddraw dlls do nothing for Heavy Gear's menu screen's being corrupted on mission exit.

PS. The corruption in Myth is related to the stuff I'm fixing in Team Apache. So hopefully both should work when I'm done.
The weird sections in Heavy Gear appear to be fogging related and will also be fixed in the next alpha.

Wirh dxwnd:
What settings do you use for interstate 76 and vhexen.?

Also how do you enable scaling for mech warrior?

Is there any possibility I could distribute dxwnd and dgvoodoo's ddraw? I really don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Not sure what I need to do to license it.

Reply 94 of 1660, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Show full quote

myth has to be 1.3

How did you fix the infamous "swap memory" issue?

file.php?mode=view&id=171312

DxWnd either manages stuff before the program launches, or when a window is initialised. The Early hook option is necessary for such cases where the window is cornered or not windowed at all. At that point, it is necessary to launch using DxWnd

sharangad wrote on 2023-08-17, 08:00:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-08-16, 21:02:
Show full quote

Actually it didn't get to an rready logo. It crashed before loading rready.

Yes I was saying whenever it switched to Glide

sharangad wrote on 2023-08-17, 10:17:
Wirh dxwnd: What settings do you use for interstate 76 and vhexen.? […]
Show full quote
sharangad wrote on 2023-08-17, 05:14:
@Been_Nath , @RobertMo: […]
Show full quote

myth has to be 1.3

@Been_Nath , @RobertMo:

Wirh dxwnd:
What settings do you use for interstate 76 and vhexen.?

Also how do you enable scaling for mech warrior?

Is there any possibility I could distribute dxwnd and dgvoodoo's ddraw? I really don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Not sure what I need to do to license it.

dgVoodoo2's ddraw is distributable. Note that dgVoodoo2 renders game at D3D11 (best and default at Fl11.0). This will ramp up the system requirements (say someone using an Nvidia GTX 280 or similar may fail, idk).

DxWnd uses whatever DDraw is called, no conversion is involved.

Both have advantages and disadvantages. dgVoodoo2 also fixes games on D3D9On12 hardware because they have incomplete legacy D3D support. DxWnd fixes games on ancient hardware too (fortunately Intel is releasing proper drivers so reliance on D3D9On12 could change). dgVoodoo2 does stuffs more accurately (such as changing the driver behaviour in .dll to match visual similarities, e.g. modern Nvidia bilinear filter is replaced with NVIDIA TNT bilinear filter). DxWnd uses the results returned by native driver and doesn't change driver behaviour inside it. dgVoodoo2 doesn't have an exception handler. DxWnd has an exception handler, so robust that it was the reason why Mechwarrior 2 works. dgVoodoo2 has a better D3D handling that DxWnd, DxWnd has a better GDI handling than dgVoodoo2.

DxWnd is GNU GPL2.0, I am not sure how open-source software is distributed for profit (nor do I know if I get a cut for my efforts of figuring out how to configure through DxWnd😀)

BUG REPORT: With RReady, in Mechawarrior 2 Titanium Mercenaries, if you play a Mission in Mercenary section, the game locks up after less than a minute. This wouldn't happen with D3D mode.

Attachments

• mytherror.png
    Filename
    mytherror.png
    File size
    5.69 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 95 of 1660, by robertmo3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-08-17, 10:57:

right click the myth executable, choose properties -> compatibility tab >"compatibility mode->run this program in compatibility mode for: any Windows"
now you can run myth executable.
you can combine that with having Rlauncher working in the background

if you want to start directly from Rlauncher you have to set old windows compatibility directly in Rlauncher settings

Reply 96 of 1660, by sharangad

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
How did you fix the infamous "swap memory" issue? […]
Show full quote

I run with WinXP2 compatibility, that's probably why.

dgVoodoo2's ddraw is distributable. Note that dgVoodoo2 renders game at D3D11 (best and default at Fl11.0). This will ramp up the system requirements (say someone using an Nvidia GTX 280 or similar may fail, idk).

Sounds promising

DxWnd uses whatever DDraw is called, no conversion is involved. […]
Show full quote

Both have advantages and disadvantages. dgVoodoo2 also fixes games on D3D9On12 hardware because they have incomplete legacy D3D support. DxWnd fixes games on ancient hardware too (fortunately Intel is releasing proper drivers so reliance on D3D9On12 could change). dgVoodoo2 does stuffs more accurately (such as changing the driver behaviour in .dll to match visual similarities, e.g. modern Nvidia bilinear filter is replaced with NVIDIA TNT bilinear filter). DxWnd uses the results returned by native driver and doesn't change driver behaviour inside it. dgVoodoo2 doesn't have an exception handler. DxWnd has an exception handler, so robust that it was the reason why Mechwarrior 2 works. dgVoodoo2 has a better D3D handling that DxWnd, DxWnd has a better GDI handling than dgVoodoo2.

DxWnd is GNU GPL2.0, I am not sure how open-source software is distributed for profit (nor do I know if I get a cut for my efforts of figuring out how to configure through DxWnd😀)

BUG REPORT: With RReady, in Mechawarrior 2 Titanium Mercenaries, if you play a Mission in Mercenary section, the game locks up after less than a minute. This wouldn't happen with D3D mode.

The first two missions run ok when I tested it. They lasted more than a minute each.

Also, I think you can commercially license GPL 2.0 stuff. The seller is liable for distributing the source to customers on demand.. Individual contributors need separate licensing agreements. I know that's how x264 was licensed. Each and every contributor has to agree to it and sign a separate license.

I'm interested in shipping both dgvoodoo and dxwnd with rready.

But first I need a functional wrapper and I would like things to be cheap.

Last edited by sharangad on 2023-08-17, 11:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 97 of 1660, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robertmo3 wrote on 2023-08-17, 11:26:
right click the myth executable, choose properties -> compatibility tab >"compatibility mode->run this program in compatibility […]
Show full quote

right click the myth executable, choose properties -> compatibility tab >"compatibility mode->run this program in compatibility mode for: any Windows"
now you can run myth executable.
you can combine that with having Rlauncher working in the background

if you want to start directly from Rlauncher you have to set old windows compatibility directly in Rlauncher settings

sharangad wrote on 2023-08-17, 11:27:
How did you fix the infamous "swap memory" issue? […]
Show full quote

I run with WinXP2 compatibility, that's probably why.

Okay WinXP SP2 shouldn't have much problems on its own, or with Windows. Not sure how it behaves with DxWnd though, but atleast WinXPSP2 won't crash games.

Sounds promising […]
Show full quote

Sounds promising

DxWnd uses whatever DDraw is called, no conversion is involved. […]
Show full quote

The first two missions run ok when I tested it. They lasted more than a minute each.

Also, I think you can commercially license GPL 2.0 stuff. The seller is liable for distributing the source to customers on demand.. Individual contributors need separate licensing agreements. I know that's how x264 was licensed. Each and every contributor has to agree to it and sign a separate license.

I'm interested in shipping both dgvoodoo and dxwnd with rready.

For dgVoodoo2, you should make a thread in the in the dgVoodoo2 forum in Vogons. For DxWnd, SF should be fine.

Reply 98 of 1660, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But first I need a functional wrapper and I would like things to be cheap.

AMD (400, 500, Vega series, etc) has pretty bad bugs with dgVoodoo2. Maybe you'll have to force DxWnd usage on AMD. Old dgVoodoo2 using a less efficient code works with AMD. Also new dgVoodoo2 works on the basis of blacklisting problematic hardware and reverting to the old code path, but the work there is incomplete.

DxWnd is going through a regression fixing period, so you'll have to wait a little bit again.