VOGONS

Reply 20 of 50, by RagingSquirrel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yes it worked a few days ago.. i have 2 different cables i tested with both and because i taught that the mouse got broke i ordered a second one but that also not working .. the board have two com port .. i tried both of it..
in the bios its setted like this :

423619706-1151597766203736-7315863891807052333-n.jpg

Unfortunately i don't have a measuring tool to check if it gets the right voltage.. so at this point i eighter could get a pci or isa com port extension, or just buy an other board...

Reply 21 of 50, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RagingSquirrel wrote on 2024-02-23, 13:12:

Hi Unfortunately due to unforeseen events i wasn't able to run the test. As it turned out i need to buy a new motherboard after all, because none of my com ports seems to work on the current board (so no mouse for me 🙁((...). Also i am struggling to install a dual boot system with dos 6.22 and Win 95 osr 2.5.. But hopefully i will be able to run the test on the weekend, but it kind a defeat the purpose since i will have to replace the mobo anyway..

1) You don't need a mouse for that tests.
2) What if both cables have same and wrong type (either type A or type B according to the vogonswiki pictures)
3) Have you plugged in the cables in correct orientation?
4) Have you enabled or disabled the COM-ports in your BIOS?
5) You may add an ISA card to either add or replace COM-ports

Reply 22 of 50, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

weird.

Are the mainboard connectors connected correctly ? ie cable connector pin1 to mainboard pin1 ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 23 of 50, by RagingSquirrel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Disruptor wrote on 2024-02-23, 14:49:
1) You don't need a mouse for that tests. 2) What if both cables have same and wrong type (either type A or type B according to […]
Show full quote

Hi Unfortunately due to unforeseen events i wasn't able to run the test. As it turned out i need to buy a new motherboard after all, because none of my com ports seems to work on the current board (so no mouse for me 🙁((...). Also i am struggling to install a dual boot system with dos 6.22 and Win 95 osr 2.5.. But hopefully i will be able to run the test on the weekend, but it kind a defeat the purpose since i will have to replace the mobo anyway..

2) What if both cables have same and wrong type (either type A or type B according to the vogonswiki pictures)

I know .. sorry that i didn't runned the test yesterday after work i was to busy trying to figure out the dual booting issue.. i will run the test as soon i get home.. Well i tried almost everything i can think of.. The problem is that i didn't even touched and it just stopped working at some point. I changed the on board serial port from one to an other but none of it make it work unfortunately.. I couldn't fount any isa com port extension card so at this point its easier to just buy a new mobo..

Reply 26 of 50, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

that looks correct. pin 1 is marked by the white corner on the mainboard, and the colored wire on the cable, and a little arrow on the connector.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 28 of 50, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I doubt it too. other possibility would be mouse driver, though I doubt you changed driver between time it worked and now that it doesn't work.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 29 of 50, by RagingSquirrel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

no i did not changed.. and also i have two different mouse now and non of them works.. other thing could be that i have 2 non functionating mouse.. but i ordered the second one as tested and working.. so theres a slight chances for that.. but tbh knowing my luck recently .. it could be that .. will see if they working with the new motherboard.. xD

Reply 30 of 50, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

good luck.
Might I suggest your next purchase be a multimeter that can do voltage, resistance, continuity measurements.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 32 of 50, by RagingSquirrel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Disruptor wrote on 2024-02-23, 14:49:
1) You don't need a mouse for that tests. 2) What if both cables have same and wrong type (either type A or type B according to […]
Show full quote

Hey i managged to do the test heres are the resaults :

423686654-936267854889245-356395698363465027-n.jpg

423422260-713293954285131-4137288175101779548-n.jpg

Reply 33 of 50, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RagingSquirrel wrote on 2024-02-23, 19:31:

Thank you.
Have you got your serial mouse running?
I'm sad your board offers no PS/2 mouse connector.

To your benchmark results.
Yes, they look very like unoptimized default values. In a 486 optimizing them makes a huge difference!

Reply 34 of 50, by RagingSquirrel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Disruptor wrote on 2024-02-24, 00:39:
Thank you. Have you got your serial mouse running? I'm sad your board offers no PS/2 mouse connector. […]
Show full quote
RagingSquirrel wrote on 2024-02-23, 19:31:

Thank you.
Have you got your serial mouse running?
I'm sad your board offers no PS/2 mouse connector.

To your benchmark results.
Yes, they look very like unoptimized default values. In a 486 optimizing them makes a huge difference!

Hi .. Thank you for your reply.. well i got some developement on the issue.. so basicly that motherboard is pretty much done.. after i finished that test the very next day .. it didnt booted to Win 95 .. only in safe mode.. so i checked the bootlog.txt and noticed, that it didnt get trough initializing the serial ports.. so i had to disable the com port in the bios after that it booted.. than today the at keyboard input stopped working ..Anyway yesterday i went to buy an other mobo the Lucy star Ls-486 rev c2 ... in defence to the seller, he told me that he got it from an other guy and didnt had time to test it, but it also do weird things.. it doesnt recognise cd roms for one.. i tried to connect olny the cd rom in primari master it doesnt recognise .. if i connect two hard drives it recognise both so its not the cables fault, also the jumper settings are right as well .. because if i connectit back to my previous mobo both get recognise.. It could be some bios settings idk.. because there are other problems.. namely about the cache chips, it recognise 256k, but doesn not boot unless i disable external cache .. than it boots perfectly in to win 95 and recognise both mouses trough com port.. But yes its quite a bummer.. I gonna return it to the seller tomorrow, and might try to buy an other one https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/rectron-rt-4s3 this one.. But i am a bit worried, because this seller said that he tested trough boot, but theres no buyback option if its not working.. so yes its quite complicated, but gonna go for it as a last atempt..
Anyway i wonder what do you mean it is unoptimized? how could i optimize it? Is there a program to it? Or do i have to set it in bios.. I noticed that there are a lot of settings about cache timing in bios, but i run it as auto, because i dont really know what is what there, and i dont want to mess things up xD

Reply 36 of 50, by RagingSquirrel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Disruptor wrote on 2024-02-25, 18:48:

So the cache chips are the problem?

I dont know tbh. I am pretty sure that eighter one of the cache chip is faulty, or maybe the tag chip… but i dont have any spear one to test, and even than i dont know why the board doesnt recognise any cd rom drive … could it be caused by the caches? If you have a look at the board the tag chip is right next to the ide port, maybe the board has some problem in that area. But i just feel to tired to debug it. I reather just return it and get an other one , hoping that that will work.

Reply 38 of 50, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As it turned out i need to buy a new motherboard after all, because none of my com ports seems to work on the current board

I suspect weedeewee is correct in suspecting that you might use the wrong type of cable. But even if the com ports are completely dead, you can still use the board with a standard AT multi-I/O board in one of the ISA slots. Just make sure to disable conflicting components either on the main board or on the I/O board.

Reply 39 of 50, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mkarcher wrote on 2024-02-25, 21:40:

As it turned out i need to buy a new motherboard after all, because none of my com ports seems to work on the current board

I suspect weedeewee is correct in suspecting that you might use the wrong type of cable. But even if the com ports are completely dead, you can still use the board with a standard AT multi-I/O board in one of the ISA slots. Just make sure to disable conflicting components either on the main board or on the I/O board.

He mentioned they were working before, so unless he switched cables somewhere, I doubt that it's the cables.

Do not ask Why !