VOGONS

Music out of tempo and crackles in some games (this case it is LSL3&2)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I get this problem using the Munt Win32 driver. In several games I get sometimes those inconsistent tempo (recorded from LSL3) in the music while using DosBox`s midi feature with it set on "intelligent" (I tried to set it on uart but it didn`t fix my problem and it sounded strange and some instruments are muted. I tried to capture the midi commands, but that midi had the normal tempo, tho it didn`t play like in DosBox (yes, I`ve set the output to Munt in Winamp). The other problem is that some crackles appear in some cases (recorded from LSL2). I`ve also attached the recordings, no other programs/processes were running when I recorded those, other than the recorder, other midis from games play at normal tempo when recording with the exact recorder.

My system specifications:

CPU - Intel P4 Celeron D at 2.26GHz
384MB RAM

DosBox 0.71
Munt Win32 Driver 0.1.3

Is there any solution (besides using the Munt CVS?)

Attachments

• Filename
    problem_lsl3.ogg
    File size
    1.5 MiB
    Downloads
    382 downloads
    File comment
    From Cheatem`s offices
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    problem_lsl2.ogg
    File size
    135.21 KiB
    Downloads
    393 downloads
    File comment
    From when the bomb explodes in the Aerodork airport
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 11, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Two things. One, the volume levels are not calculated properly in the non-CVS version (and they might still be bad in CVS, but the are better). Two, that is probably a too slow CPU to properly emulate an MT-32 and DOSBox at the same time. Munt is very CPU-intensive, when I last tested it on an Athlon64 3500+ it could not do both.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Why all the negative vibes? Be happy, there are enough people fighting already all over the world.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 11, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wd wrote:

Contribute in making it faster. It's a shame if you don't contribute, really.

If I could, I would. And I have the intention, after I learn some coding. And I did not accuse the author, I was just saying that it's a shame that I cannot emulate it properly because my computer.

dh4rm4 wrote:

Or you could stop being a tightarse marooned and go and buy a second hand real MT32 and a USB midi adaptor. It's a shame you're a tightarse really.

As a matter of fact my "thightarse-ness" did search upon those e-bays from europe a few weeks ago, and wasn`t lucky to find one (other than a LAPC-I, wich I cannot possibly do anything other than to plug into my old computer, but I`m not interested in that). It`s a shame really that you throw everywhere insults without asking first.

Last edited by marooned_on_mars on 2008-08-29, 11:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 11, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
marooned_on_mars wrote:

As a matter of fact my "thightarse-ness" did search upon those e-bays from europe a few weeks ago, and wasn`t lucky to find one (other than a LAPC-I, wich I cannot possibly do anything other than to plug into my old computer, but I`m not interested in that). It`s a shame really that you throw everywhere insults without asking first.

More looking, less excuses. Keep looking and eventually you'll find one. It took me quite a while.

Reply 9 of 11, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wd wrote:

That's not a shame, and it indeed accuses the people who are/were working
hard on munt. The real shame is on you for your statement.

If it does anything good I edited the post to not cause confusion again.

dh4rm4 wrote:

More looking, less excuses. Keep looking and eventually you'll find one. It took me quite a while.

I will try to keep that in mind.