VOGONS


First post, by myne

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone found working drivers for this in w98?

I can get the ndis2 drivers working, apparently (haven't tested xfers yet) but all attempts to get the official 9x driver working have failed so far.
It's allegedly supported.

I've looked at the inf, played around. No luck.
It is a little confusing that apparently ALL 9x drivers (at least the ones I've looked at) tell the registry that they are ndis 3 a instead of 5.

If anyone knows of some archive of old rtl drivers, I'll go through them.

I built:
Convert old ASUS ASC boardviews to KICAD PCB!
Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11+tcp+vbe_svga auto-install iso template
Script to backup Win9x\ME drivers from a working install
Re: The thing no one asked for: KICAD 440bx reference schematic

Reply 1 of 9, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The RTL8111C was the last Realtek chip with proper Windows 98 support. Rloew posted on another forum about a driver that works with later chips, but only at 100 Mbps.

Unfortunately, I can't find that post at the moment with the driver information (I've used it in the past). You might need to do an internet search when you have the time.

Reply 2 of 9, by myne

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ahhhh patchmem /m might fix it. Cheers

https://github.com/JHRobotics/patcher9x/blob/ … hmem-manual.txt

If the Linux driver is any guide the init routine for D has an extra variable

I built:
Convert old ASUS ASC boardviews to KICAD PCB!
Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11+tcp+vbe_svga auto-install iso template
Script to backup Win9x\ME drivers from a working install
Re: The thing no one asked for: KICAD 440bx reference schematic

Reply 3 of 9, by myne

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nope.
Split8mb failed too

I built:
Convert old ASUS ASC boardviews to KICAD PCB!
Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11+tcp+vbe_svga auto-install iso template
Script to backup Win9x\ME drivers from a working install
Re: The thing no one asked for: KICAD 440bx reference schematic

Reply 4 of 9, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Rloew posted about a beta driver for slightly newer Realtek chips on Msfn.org a while back, but I'm having trouble searching for the post on my phone.

I actually have a copy of the driver at home, but I'm at work for the next few hours.

Reply 6 of 9, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I looked through my driver library, and I found a newer Realtek Win98SE driver for the "SD-EXP24010" dated 10/30/2008, version 5.708.1030.2008 . It has RTL8168D listings (un-remarked).

Maybe that driver could work for you.

Reply 7 of 9, by myne

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

5.7blah is the main one I've tried.
I'll try the tenda, but I think that's likely to just be "leftovers in the inf".

Perhaps it's a red-herring, but I really suspect the linux driver gives a hint
https://github.com/mtorromeo/r8168/blob/master/src/r8168_n.c

        _R("RTL8168CP/8111CP",
CFG_METHOD_7,
RxCfg_128_int_en | RxCfg_fet_multi_en | (RX_DMA_BURST << RxCfgDMAShift),
0xff7e1880,
Jumbo_Frame_6k),

_R("RTL8168CP/8111CP",
CFG_METHOD_8,
RxCfg_128_int_en | RxCfg_fet_multi_en | (RX_DMA_BURST << RxCfgDMAShift),
0xff7e1880,
Jumbo_Frame_6k),

_R("RTL8168D/8111D",
CFG_METHOD_9,
RxCfg_128_int_en | (RX_DMA_BURST << RxCfgDMAShift),
0xff7e1880,
Jumbo_Frame_9k),

_R("RTL8168D/8111D",
CFG_METHOD_10,
RxCfg_128_int_en | (RX_DMA_BURST << RxCfgDMAShift),
0xff7e1880,
Jumbo_Frame_9k),

RxCfg_fet_multi_en is in the C config but not the D
IF somehow this is the problem in the windows driver removing that bit from the init should in theory fix it.
I don't know what exactly this means at the code level.

I built:
Convert old ASUS ASC boardviews to KICAD PCB!
Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11+tcp+vbe_svga auto-install iso template
Script to backup Win9x\ME drivers from a working install
Re: The thing no one asked for: KICAD 440bx reference schematic

Reply 8 of 9, by myne

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The reason I suspect this could be it is simple : human error/laziness.

I suspect it is most likely the 9x driver code was never actually updated or tested.
There was really not much need in 2008 to do so.

Any idiot can add dev ids to an inf, but if the driver itself is sending incorrect init sequences for a prior standard, it'll never work.

There may be a way to fix it with an inf If the equivalent values align with registry keys by shifting the values down one key.

Eg a, b, c, d
Becomes a, c, d, null

I built:
Convert old ASUS ASC boardviews to KICAD PCB!
Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11+tcp+vbe_svga auto-install iso template
Script to backup Win9x\ME drivers from a working install
Re: The thing no one asked for: KICAD 440bx reference schematic

Reply 9 of 9, by myne

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A very quick and dirty glance at a decompile on https://dogbolt.org/

using Reko here

Shows the following things that look like they might do something.
NDIS.SYS!NdisInitUnicodeString(fp - 20, 0x0001B154);
NDIS.SYS!NdisInitUnicodeString(fp - 0x0C, 0x0001B17C);
NDIS.SYS!NdisMRegisterDevice(dwArg04, fp - 20, fp - 0x0C, fp - 0x0080, 171792, 171796);

NDIS.SYS!NdisInitializeWrapper(fp + 8, dwArg04, dwArg08, 0x00);

NDIS.SYS!NdisMRegisterMiniport(0x05, 0x00, 106630, 0x00, 0x00, 111892, 108500, 111120, 0x0001A5A0, 122216, 0x0001AB46, 121500, 0x00022E04, 110338, 107174, dwArg08, fp - 100, 0x60);

Of course, this is all barely above guessing.

I built:
Convert old ASUS ASC boardviews to KICAD PCB!
Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11+tcp+vbe_svga auto-install iso template
Script to backup Win9x\ME drivers from a working install
Re: The thing no one asked for: KICAD 440bx reference schematic