VOGONS


First post, by nitro2k01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I have an old generic Pentium laptop. The label on the bottom says Multimedia Notebook Computer, model number 86 and FCC ID: FMA86T. The Swedish reseller's label says LapLine 8630T, although it was sold under many names. It's one of those with a little LCD indicator display below the screen for indicating battery status, caps/num ock and such. The BIOS screen says SystemSoft BIOS for UMC8890 version 1.01 (2487-10), NoteBook Computer Version 1.20.1.01 07-05-96-39C.

The symptoms of the patient: it starts to the BIOS screen that I mentioned, and gets no further and seems crashed. No RAM count, drive enumeration etc. I've tried various things to look for a sign of life, like pressing caps and num lock (no reaction) or mashing keys in the hopes that it would fill up the key buffer and beep. But no beep was heard. I've also tried reseating the two 8 MB RAM sticks, and booting without the RAM sticks in, but still no difference. There's also a jumper next to the (absolutely tiny) BIOS battery which I've removed in case that would help somehow, but still nothing.

Additional information:
It has no battery and runs from an external 12 V DC adapter. I know laptops, even ones marked 15 V can often run on 12 V, just not charge the battery. But the label explicitly says 10-20 VDC, so that's not likely to be an issue either way.

It also has no HDD or HDD caddy. (Never had while in my possession.) There's some history of how I've solved that in the past. I removed the CD drive a long time ago and placed an IDE to CF card adapter there instead. The BIOS wouldn't recognize this "HDD" since it was on the CD drive's IDE channel, but I found a software that would scan all IDE channels and detect the CF card and add it to the BIOS drive table. I put this on a boot floppy which I then set up to chainload the HDD using osme method, probably GRUB4DOS. But I can't find the boot floppy now. I would like to find this software again, if I get this laptop working again in general. Or better yet, another solution like it that doesn't rely on the flaky floppy drive, like a BIOS hack.

Another potential thing I could try if it could help is that I have PCMCIA network cards that I might be able to burn an option ROM to, but I think I've tried that in the past and the laptop just wouldn't detect the option ROM at all. So maybe this BIOS just doesn't support option ROM?

I could also potentially build a POST code display for the LPT port if this BIOS is known to output POST codes.

It's frustrating though because the laptop apparently isn't 100% dead since it does show something on screen and it has worked in the past. I just don't know what to try next at this point. Grateful for any help.

Reply 1 of 13, by MagefromAntares

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Hi,

I have no knowledge of this exact computer and a quick online search doesn't give me relevant results for "LapLine 8630T", however if I understand correctly both the BIOS battery and the regular battery of the laptop is not installed now?

There are some laptops which refuse to boot if both of them are missing. Maybe if you can replace the BIOS battery it can boot, just an idea however.

"A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it." - Dune

Reply 2 of 13, by nitro2k01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

The laptop has definitely worked without the main battery in the past so that shouldn't be an issue. (It never had the battery while in my ownership.) The BIOS battery is still physically in the laptop because it's soldered in. I checked continuity which tells me the jumper I removed was NOT for the BIOS battery, or at least it's not directly connected to it. However, it's also very dead. But given the comically small size for the job it's supposed to do (CR1225) I suspect it has been dead for pretty much the whole 15 or so years I've owned the laptop. And shouldn't that show a BIOS error anyway, as opposed to locking and being completely unresponsive?

Reply 3 of 13, by MagefromAntares

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Hmm yes that seems to be unlikely to be the cause, the laptops with which I experienced this issue of not booting when neither battery is present had a completely blank screen not even showing a single line message.

What happens if you try to enter the BIOS using a key combination(del, F11, other usual key combinations) while turning the computer on, right after pressing the power button?

EDIT: Also re-reading your first post, you mention that you have tried reseating the two RAM sticks and trying without RAM sticks, but have you tried it with a single RAM stick? Maybe one of them gone wrong and the computer cannot boot without a single one, so trying it with a single RAM stick might work.

"A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it." - Dune

Reply 4 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nitro2k01 wrote on 2026-05-28, 16:25:

The laptop has definitely worked without the main battery in the past so that shouldn't be an issue. (It never had the battery while in my ownership.) The BIOS battery is still physically in the laptop because it's soldered in. I checked continuity which tells me the jumper I removed was NOT for the BIOS battery, or at least it's not directly connected to it. However, it's also very dead. But given the comically small size for the job it's supposed to do (CR1225) I suspect it has been dead for pretty much the whole 15 or so years I've owned the laptop. And shouldn't that show a BIOS error anyway, as opposed to locking and being completely unresponsive?

Every other year I get a surprise with new behaviours from a dead CMOS battery. From boards acting dead, then various kinds of flaky half functional, telling me the HDD was bad and stalling at POST screen, no matter how many times I entered HDD and warm booted... so, I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 13, by nitro2k01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Some new things tried.

Key combo: I've tried everything I can think of. After doing a dump of the BIOS (see notes below) and looking at strings, I was reminded of the correct combination: ctrl+alt+S. This however didn't work. And I remember now that normally a hint for this combo would display on the screen, which doesn't happen now of course.

One RAM stick as per suggestion: no change.

I tried with no drives attached. (Suggested by someone in private.) No change.

CMOS battery: I will first say that given both that the battery was soldered in, kind of difficult to access to desolder and tiny in size (so bound to run out quickly) it would be a cruel act of planned obsolescence if that also prevented the computer from starting. I soldered in a new battery. Unfortunately I briefly connected it with inverse polarity. From previous experience, I will say that this was likely actually fine. CMOS battery circuits often have a series resistor and/or protection diode. The chip would shunt the reverse current through its ESD protection diodes, and unless there's enough juice available to blow the chip from essentially thermal failure, it can usually tolerat this briefly. The potential series resistor combined with the limited current available from a 3V primary cell could be enough to protect the chip. It's possible I ruined in this way, but I can report that it still behaves in the exact same way.

POST codes: I realized I had a homemade LPT port POST code indicator, which is just 8 LEDs and 8 resistors connected to a DB25 male connector. No output. Either this BIOS doesn't output any POST codes in this way, or maybe the BIOS hangs before getting that far.

Another avenue I noticed is that the BIOS flash chip is socketed. I tried dumping it using my MiniPro TL866. I had issues with mirroring initially. This could indicate a chip error, but it could just as well happen due to the somewhat flaky PLCC32 to DIL adapter that came with the programmer. I've tried reseating the chip and squeezing the socket while dumping the ROM. I made a tool to analyze the address patterns for mirroring, and after getting a dump that both passes this test and dumps identically after removing and reinserting the chip, I'm reasonably sure I have a clean dump. If allowed by the forum rules (fair use exception?) I can share the dump. I've tried messing with how the BIOS chip sits in the laptop's socket, but still no luck.

The BIOS chip opens up new potential steps. I could maybe try to find a replacement chip. (I have various PLCC32 flash chip lying around somwhere.) And also, are there any different BIOSes I could try burning and using with this laptop? Maybe diagnostic ones that could heko troubleshoot.

All for now.

Reply 6 of 13, by RetroAddict

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Following this with interest! I too have a machine with SystemSoft bios that appears lifeless! What’s the basic spec of your machine?

Reply 7 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Think I found a video of a related model,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fALZTke4tLw
Think this one is substantially similar with a faster CPU.

Anyway, can see the POST screen come up, maybe giving a better clue to where exactly yours gets stuck. Occurs to me it might be keyboard initialisation. On a desktop you'd get numlock capslock scrolllock lights flash together and go out if there was no problem, but maybe stay on if there was. Now if an external keyboard were plugged in, you might see this pass or not, or it could bypass internal keyboard fault and get you further.

Also if you enlarge the vid and freeze frame, possibly there might be a clue as the manual is flicked through, but not the first as it's just Windows manual.

Edit:
Found more nameplates... https://macdat.net/laptops/nantan/86.php also Sager / Clevo Model 86 is finding hits.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 13, by nitro2k01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

The laptop seems to be identical Nan Tan 86 linked above. Mine is a 100 MHz model from memory.

I could post a photo of the screen if you really want to, but you can look at the photo in the Nan Tan page linked above as well. Basically it's identical to photo 11, just that only the lines SystemSoft... down to NoteBook... are shown, and everything from the warning lines down is empty. And also, the last part of the version string says 07-05-96-39C instead of what that photo is saying. I also mentioned everything shown on the screen in the original post.

I've located a PS2 keyboard and plugged in. The lock lights are flashing twice. So what I would suspect is that they blink once from powering up and then again after being sent a reset command over the PS2 bus from the computer, so it would at least have detected the keyboard. There's nothing else interesting to report though. The machine doesn't boot further or react to any key presses including lock keys.

I've looked around and I've seen people post BIOS files here before, so I'm guessing it's allowed. So I'm attaching what I think is a good dump. For anyone finding this in the future, I can't 100% guaranteed that this is a clean dump. It would be useful to have a BIOS dump or update file for a similar laptop to compare with, even just to study the overall structure. I'll try a few things with this, like loading it into IDA and Bochs. Maybe it leads to something, maybe not. For example, I might be able to figure out approximately where the BIOS locks up and hook it, or somehow mod the bios to add some crude POST code functionality.

I'll repeat the question from the previous post, knowing that the answer is most likely no. Is there anything like a BIOS diag ROM for x86 PCs? You know how there are diag ROMs for Amiga and other systems that you can burn onto a EEPROM/flash chip and put in the machine. For example Adrian's Digital Basement was working with someone on something like that in his last video, for an Amiga with a "yellow screen of death". Does that exist for x86 PCs? I'm going to assume probably not since PCs are much more diverse and people probably wouldn't pop the BIOS chip out for the most part, but who knows...

Reply 9 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was the Landmark diagnostic ROMs for early PC/XT class, but nothing I know of really that will make any sense on a Pentium machine.

If the keyboard inits okay, I think you've maybe got a situation where the first 64kb of RAM is okay or it wouldn't get to the POST screen, then KB resets usually immediately before the RAM count. Tends to make me suspicious of the RAM module, thinking it's got errors in first 640k or lower address lines.

Edit: I see you did a single RAM stick test, did you try another module or just one? Inspect socket for problems also.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 10 of 13, by nitro2k01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I have tried both stick individually. I don't have any other sticks of the same type to test with. My worry right now is that the laptop has soldered in RAM which may have gone bad, which would be a tougher nut to crack. The Nan Tan page specifies "Standard: 8MB - Maximum: 40MB" which implies it may have 8 MB on board, and 2x 16 MB expansion capability in the two slots.

Reply 11 of 13, by DaveDDS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nitro2k01 wrote on 2026-05-29, 10:13:

... CMOS battery: I will first say that given both that the battery was soldered in, kind of difficult to access ...

Probably worth trying a normal one ... I've seen some strange behaviour over the years that didn't seem to make obvious sense.

In cases with soldered in batteries with limited space, I sometimes place a new battery on "flying leads" connected to the original battery position on the board (and in a couple cases I had to cut the origional battery leads to remove it)

You can make a servicable holder for a new coin-cell battery - cut two thin cardboard disks the same diameter as the battery - put small holes in the center of each - run wires through the holes and form small coils of stripped leads (use solder to make flex leads sturdy enough to coil) - mark the disk '+' and '-' indication where the attached wire goes to the original bettery conneectiond - assemble with wire coils against corect sides of battery and use stripss of flexibe plastic tape (ie "black" tape) to close/insulate it. You should be able to find a place to tuck it. Obviously - check the original battery terminaks and verify that they are powered now.

https://dunfield.themindfactory.com ; "Daves Old Computers" ; SW dev addict best known:
ImageDisk: rd/wr ANY floppy PChw can ; Micro-C: compiler for DOS+ManySmallCPU ; DDLINK: simple/small filetransfer(w/o netSW)via Lan/Lpt/Com

Reply 12 of 13, by nitro2k01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Still no real progress, but I can give some updates on what I've been up to.

The CMOS battery: The 3V battery has already been installed, using a flying lead setup similar to what Dave described above. In my case I have a stockpile of tabbed batteries that I use for game cartridge repair, so I soldered wires to it and wrapped the cell in kapton tape. I have no problem doing this kind of repair (except for inverting the polarity briefly -- oops!) but my comment was more lamenting that if a dead CMOS battery would cause the described issue, wile using such a small battery, it would really be a bad design. Essentially a laptop designed to fail, if that were the case.

The flash chip: I didn't want to erase and reprogram the flash before I was reasonably sure I had a clean dump so I wouldn't lose an opportunity to extract any data. I had dumped it multiple times and could get the same readout multiple times that didn't have any apparently stuck address lines. I was just about to do it when I thought of something. I've heard about EPROMs being essentially analog devices where the value gradually reset over time as the trapped charge leaks. This is why, sometimes EPROM are verified with a Vcc that's slightly above 5V. So, could this flash chip start to see bit rot that could be provoked by reading out it out with a different Vcc voltage? I tried doing this using my Minipro, and it turned out I couldn't get the programmer to output anything but 5V when using David Griffith's minipro command line utility. This led to a side quest where I reported this as a potential bug with the minipro utility. I managed to read out the flash chip with Vcc=3.3 V using the Minipro Windows utility from the manufacturer, and the file was identical. However, I'm still not ruling out bit rot as a potential explanation for the hang.

BIOS analysis: I would've loved a second source of any SystemSoft BIOS for a Pentium class machine to compare with. I tried briefly to try to follow the execution path of the BIOS using Bochs and IDA Pro, as I mentioned before that I might. Nothing much to report there. Work like that takes time.

BIOS variants: I'm also toying with the idea of replacing the BIOS entirely with a different BIOS (temporarily) to get something happening. This is where try different things, and bang the drum until I hear a sound. I'm mindful of the fact that the chip socket can't tolerate infinite insertions and removals, so I try to have good sense that it might work before trying. I tried the "PCChips M912 V1.7 BIOS" uploaded to VogonsDrivers, both which I merged with the C&T VGA BIOS the dump I made. (It seems this machine stores the BIOS and VGA BIOS in the same chip.) One of the BIOSes in the dual BIOS combo did nothing, while the other just made a solid beep, presumably signaling a critical failure. Then I realized those were 486 BIOSes. No chance they would work. Then I found UMC UM8890 Pentium Chipset Info Collection here on the forums. Might try that next to see what happens. Not the exact same chip as on my laptop, but right CPU class, so it might just work by accident. I've also considered trying to put osmething like a XT/AT BIOS to see what happens and if I can at least get a BASIC prompt up and running or something. But initial testing in Bochs made me think that this would just straight up not work on a Pentium machine.

So to summarize:

CMOS battery: I briefly installed the battery the wrong way. If I have the worst of luck, the initial boot screen hang was because of the empty battery, and now I've fried something and permanently get the exact same failure mode. Hopefully not.

Flash chip: I think bit rot is a potential cause of the crash, but needs further research to confirm.

BIOS replacement: didn't find one that works yet.

So long for now, and hopefully I have better news next time.

Reply 13 of 13, by nitro2k01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I tried the Pine PT733A BIOS from the UMC BIOS link above. On power-up, it gave one long beep, then 3 short beeps. Then a moment later, a two note "sad fanfare". Nothing on the screen, no POST codes on the LPT port. Although something I haven't done yet is plug in a VGA monitor and see if something comes out that way. (I don't have a VGA monitor handy at the moment.) But at least it's running and doing something even if that something is an error.