First post, by pshipkov
One of the ISA graphics cards here started showing the next issue:
On power-up, standard 80x25 text mode displays incorrectly.
The screen geometry is fine, but the characters themselves are wrong.
Graphics modes, including Windows 3.1 GUI modes, display without any issues.
At first I assumed it was a hardware fault - the usual "something just broke" scenario. Checked pin contacts and continuity, swapped BIOS chips and microcode versions, changed RAMDACs, and replaced half of the VRAM chips - the socketed ones.
I was about to move on to the other half of the VRAM - the soldered chips - but by chance I found that running SCANDISK.EXE actually fixes the 80x25 text mode. Both soft and hard resets make it bad again. Video/BIOS shadowing does not seem to be a factor.
That makes me suspect incorrect BIOS initialization, possibly related to font loading.
I still suspect a VRAM-related issue, but before I swap the soldered chips and put more wear on the card, I figured I'd ask here in case anyone has a better idea.
Any hints?