VOGONS


First post, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Targa Gehäuse/Case

Looking for these Mountings!
Any Help appriciated. There is no way to put anything different inside as far as i know
Would love to use my old targa case as rebuild it!
Thank you!

15-39-49.jpg
15-43-43.jpg

Reply 1 of 10, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's these small, insignificant parts that always stop you dead in your tracks. Those standoffs doesn't look too hard to replicate, you may try first making a flat stencil on a thin sheet of metal, fold it by the original shape and if everything fits, transfer it to a thicker spring steel sheet.

Reply 2 of 10, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those were popular with case manufacturers for a few years, then they were gone. Lian Li used them, the Elan Vital case I had used them. You might end up buying/scrounging another case from that period to find some, I know that past searches for those haven't turned up any easy replacements.

A lot of times when you first start out on a project you think, This is never going to be finished. But then it is, and you think, Wow, it wasn't even worth it. - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 10, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Repo Man11 wrote on 2026-07-28, 16:56:

Those were popular with case manufacturers for a few years, then they were gone. Lian Li used them, the Elan Vital case I had used them. You might end up buying/scrounging another case from that period to find some, I know that past searches for those haven't turned up any easy replacements.

I think the ones you're referring to fit in a square hole, these seem to be made for a rectangular hole.
I was also at first thinking about the square ones, and looking at the example and the rectangular punchouts in the case, realized these are different.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 4 of 10, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2026-07-28, 19:48:
Repo Man11 wrote on 2026-07-28, 16:56:

Those were popular with case manufacturers for a few years, then they were gone. Lian Li used them, the Elan Vital case I had used them. You might end up buying/scrounging another case from that period to find some, I know that past searches for those haven't turned up any easy replacements.

I think the ones you're referring to fit in a square hole, these seem to be made for a rectangular hole.
I was also at first thinking about the square ones, and looking at the example and the rectangular punchouts in the case, realized these are different.

One from one of my Lian Li cases looks identical to the OP's, as did one of the ones from another (non Lian Li) case - similar enough that I'm confident they would work even if they aren't identical.

A lot of times when you first start out on a project you think, This is never going to be finished. But then it is, and you think, Wow, it wasn't even worth it. - Jack Handey

Reply 5 of 10, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Repo Man11 wrote on 2026-07-28, 20:59:
weedeewee wrote on 2026-07-28, 19:48:
Repo Man11 wrote on 2026-07-28, 16:56:

Those were popular with case manufacturers for a few years, then they were gone. Lian Li used them, the Elan Vital case I had used them. You might end up buying/scrounging another case from that period to find some, I know that past searches for those haven't turned up any easy replacements.

I think the ones you're referring to fit in a square hole, these seem to be made for a rectangular hole.
I was also at first thinking about the square ones, and looking at the example and the rectangular punchouts in the case, realized these are different.

One from one of my Lian Li cases looks identical to the OP's, as did one of the ones from another (non Lian Li) case - similar enough that I'm confident they would work even if they aren't identical.

Don't you see the difference between the two ?
The top one won't work, the bottom one is the same as OP needs.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 6 of 10, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You're correct, they are different; up until now I'd assumed they were close enough to be interchangeable, but the bottom one (left side in this photo) won't fit in the Lian Li's hole. It could possibly be bent to fit, but the there's also a height difference. This makes it even worse since with the popularity of Lian Li cases it might be fairly easy to find a damaged one to salvage the standoffs.

The Enlight EN-7237 case in this photo is one of the cases I've found that uses the type that the OP needs, so keep an eye out for one of those.

A lot of times when you first start out on a project you think, This is never going to be finished. But then it is, and you think, Wow, it wasn't even worth it. - Jack Handey

Reply 7 of 10, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can´t you use regular standoffs with nuts and washers here?

Reply 8 of 10, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

solutions:
- 3d print replacement posts clipping/press fitting into those rectangular holes
- ordinary metal screw standoffs + big wasters or custom cut sheets of metal to sandwitch backplate + nut on the back side. Edit ha majestyk beat me to it 😀 had post opened in background for too long 😀

https://github.com/raszpl/sigrok-disk FM/MFM/RLL decoder
https://github.com/raszpl/FIC-486-GAC-2-Cache-Module (AT&T Globalyst)
https://github.com/raszpl/386RC-16 ram board
https://github.com/raszpl/Zenith_ZBIOS Zenith Z-386 MFM-300 ZBIOS disassembly

Reply 9 of 10, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Repo Man11 wrote on 2026-07-28, 23:23:

You're correct, they are different; up until now I'd assumed they were close enough to be interchangeable, but the bottom one (left side in this photo) won't fit in the Lian Li's hole. It could possibly be bent to fit, but the there's also a height difference. This makes it even worse since with the popularity of Lian Li cases it might be fairly easy to find a damaged one to salvage the standoffs.

The Enlight EN-7237 case in this photo is one of the cases I've found that uses the type that the OP needs, so keep an eye out for one of those.

Well, it looks worse, both of those shown in your photo don't look like they would work in the targa case.
And, yeah, the height difference, sigh, that's also a thing with those screw in metal standoffs, sometimes it's just a millimeter and it just about fits but it's not the way it's supposed to be.
the mainboard sits in the case but the cards won't fit quite correctly, either it feels like they're sticking out too high or that the mainboard sits just a bit too low.
Very annoying when you're dealing with salvaged & spare parts.

the Enlight EN-7237... I've found some photos on craigslist and it looks like those standoffs are also different. The ones on the left in your photo would fit, but those won't work for the targa case since the middle part seems to go through the mainboardplate while on the enlight case the mainboardplate has these little whatchamecallits... not cutouts, the metal is pressed through to form a little bridge where the middle part of the standoff fits into and the standoff sits on top of the mainboardplate with nothing sticking out on the other side.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 10 of 10, by bjrnx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I found four different types of which one looks like yours (single one with screw in upper row), those in the second row are compatible I think. They are also mounted in the plate from front = the side of the motherboard and have same spacing and functionality, though these will stand out a little more on the backside.
Third and last row are mounted from the back I think, these might not work.
I have no use for any of them...