VOGONS


First post, by Art Vandelay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Hi everyone,

I recently acquired an AT&T Globalyst 363TPC in a trade. I don't know a ton about the machine, and information has been rather sparse online. I know that the machine posts, includes the proprietary riser card and the TPC sound card / modem combo, and has a 75MHz Pentium. It has a 1.7GB Seagate hard drive that I don't know the contents of, but will be imaging if it has anything on it.

My big question is, does anyone know if this computer uses the same motherboard as the Globalyst 630? There's a lot more info out there on the 630... and from what I can tell, the 363TPC is largely the same machine. It uses the same case design, both machines are a part of the 3348 family, and both largely have the same base specs.

Marketing materials from AT&T further add to the confusion: https://web.archive.org/web/19961029135559/ht … 1/globalyst.pdf

In the link above, the 630 is shown in a desktop form factor rather than the tower that appears everywhere else. It also offers no information on any differences between the 363TPC and the 630.

My theory is that the 363TPC was just a pared down 630 without some of the bells and whistles, lower-priced, and renamed as a marketing maneuver. The remaining selling point, after stripping other features out, was the TPC card; thus the name 363TPC.

The 630 uses the FIC PSK-2000 LPX motherboard. It supports up to 192MB of (presumably FP) ram, and has a slot for a cache stick. From what I can tell, the motherboard in my 363TPC is exactly the same.

All in all, I wanted to know if anyone has any better information on this, or even better yet, a brochure or spec sheet for the 363TPC. I'm also looking for drivers, though if my theory is true I should be able to use the 630 drivers from here: https://web.archive.org/web/20240603070131/ht … pc_library_3348

I will update this post if I find anything interesting on the hard drive. After that I'll be installing Windows 95 and attempting to track down the original telecom software it shipped with.

Also, here's some interesting links for any other 363TPC/630 owner looking to go down this proprietary AT&T/NCR rabbit hole.

Globalyst 630 Brochure / Spec Sheet: https://www.1000bit.it/js/web/viewer.html?fil … f#zoom=page-fit
Memory Upgrades from Kahlon for the 363TPC (and probably the 630): https://www.kahlon.com/rm974_AT&T_NCR_Globaly … E1-LPfMy_eHSd5E
VOGONS Post about the Globalyst 630 (and its PSK-2000 mobo): FIC PSK-2000 LPX Mainboard (AT&T Globalyst 630) proprietary hell
3348 Family Drivers (also linked above): https://web.archive.org/web/20240603070131/ht … pc_library_3348
Very Period Paper from Bell and Lucent on ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode), featuring the Globalyst 630: https://files.justobjects.nl/doc/hpdc96.pdf

Bonus:
Globalyst 730 Brochure. https://www.1000bit.it/js/web/viewer.html?fil … f#zoom=page-fit
1995 Bloomberg Article about the Globalyst 720 and 730. Use archive.ph to un-paywall: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/1995- … office-computer

Thanks for reading!