First post, by Lylat1an
- Rank
- Member
My plan is to use Arctic Silver's thermal epoxy to bond a small tower cooler to an AMD K6-II, specifically an Argon THRML 60:
https://argon40.com/products/argon-thrml-50mm … radiator-cooler
It has about the same dimensions as the CPU, thus it won't interfere with the socket's release lever nor nearby components.
What I'm not clear on is whether I should also put a copper "shim" between the cooler and the CPU, and whether I should also install a thermal probe in the process.
De-lidded images of K6-IIs show that the silicon is small and centered, but I think the lid is aluminum.
Would the cooler's dual direct-touch heat pipe design benefit from having a copper heat spreader?
And where might the best place to wedge/tape a front panel thermal probe?
(I know the probe won't be "accurate", but a rough idea is better than nothing.)