VOGONS


First post, by Peter z80.eu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

For example, the ATI Wonder VGA have two video output connector, VGA and EGA, same for some Trident 8900, Genoa and Paradise VGA cards.
I need a possibility using the VGA mode with any kind of software, but sending the video picture to an EGA monitor (which can display not only 640x350 resolution, but also 640x480 resolution in special Super EGA mode).
Because I didn't find any single device which can convert VGA to EGA signals, I thought may be the card itself can use an EGA monitor with VGA modes.
Are there any ideas about this ?

Reply 1 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do not know if that exists in general terms (converting all VGA modes for output to an EGA monitor) but, even if it does, I would not expect it to do a great job of it for, especially for mode 13h.

I do seem to recall some SuperEGA cards supporting VGA mode 12h and/or VGA text mode and outputting it through the the EGA (digital RGB) port at the actual VGA resolution. I could be wrong, of course.

I am curious about your use case for needing to do this and whether you would also be using software that uses EGA modes.

If you need to use EGA modes and VGA modes and can live with some EGA modes being forced to 70Hz, using a VGA card, with its EGA compatibility, and a VGA monitor might work. I suspect you have reasons why you do not want to do that (or even simply cannot).

Reply 3 of 6, by Peter z80.eu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

It's for a Siemens PG750/386 and its internal Monitor. Unfortunately it depends if it's a 386-based PG750 (with TTL Monitor) or a 486-based PG750 (with a more flexible Monitor), so I thought just replacing the TIGA card with another card may be is also an option. I would stay with the TIGA card if there would be Windows 95 driver, but no, there are no drivers at all for Win 95 (and so also no TIGA driver which can support at least DirectX 3, which I need for some specific software).

Reply 4 of 6, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As far as I know, you can only run 16-colour VGA modes on "super" EGA card if you have a special multi-sync monitor. I think some cards claim as high as 800x560. I believe those modes can also choose the 16 colours from a 64 colour palette. I am not aware of any devices that can convert 256 colour modes to something that can display on a standard EGA display. It's probably possible to build an adapter. Sierra had a driver that could display 320x200x256 using 16 colour dithering at 640x200.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 6, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2026-09-29, 01:34:

As far as I know, you can only run 16-colour VGA modes on "super" EGA card if you have a special multi-sync monitor. I think some cards claim as high as 800x560. I believe those modes can also choose the 16 colours from a 64 colour palette. I am not aware of any devices that can convert 256 colour modes to something that can display on a standard EGA display. It's probably possible to build an adapter. Sierra had a driver that could display 320x200x256 using 16 colour dithering at 640x200.

right, you can still only use the ega-pal for the 16 colors afaik.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines