VOGONS


First post, by revolstar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

So I've almost finished my Dream 97-98 (-actually-more-like-99) Build.

The specs: Pentium II 400Mhz, Aopen 440BX chipset mobo, 64 MB of RAM, Voodoo2 12 MB, Matrox G400 16 MB AGP, Windows 95D.

There's still one problem though. I can't gat OpenGL, specifically Quake 2, to work with the G400. The 3dfx OpenGL mode runs fine. Direct3D games work fine.

I've disabled bus mastering.

I've tried all the driver versions from Phil's website https://www.philscomputerlab.com/drivers-for-matrox.html

I've tried swapping the ICD dll file in the Windows\System folder with the latest one I could find in the VOGONS driver library. The game either crashes or reverts to the software renderer.

I've tried to manually swap the default OpenGL renderer dll file for the TurboGL dll file. I get a black screen with the game running in the background.

I'm out of ideas at this point. I mean, I know I can run OpenGL games with the Voodoo2, but the inability to run them with the G400 triggers my OCD 😜

Win98 rig: Athlon XP 2500+/512MB RAM/Gigabyte GA-7VT600/SB Audigy/GF FX5700/Voodoo2 12MB
WinXP rig: HP RP5800 - Pentium G850/2GB RAM/GF GT530 1GB
Amiga: A600/2MB RAM
PS3: Slim, CFW
PS2: Fat, FMCB
Dreamcast, GDEMU

Reply 1 of 1, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should probably be using Windows 98 on that hardware. Windows 95 did not get AGP support until OSR2 and I believe it also needs the USB Supplement for OSR2 (yes that sounds strange but it's true). If AGP isn't working right the G400's OpenGL ICD is likely to malfunction.

I think you also need to install the Intel INF update for 440BX (ie chipset drivers) in order for it to work properly with 95. Win98 has support built-in.

USB device support is also very limited with 95 even with that supplement.

Oh and it also has problems with CPUs above about 350 MHz. There are a few patches for this, such as:
https://archive.org/details/fix-95-cpu-v3-final