VOGONS


Socket A: Aiming for the Stars!!!

Topic actions

Reply 640 of 657, by SlowA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I guess too it is a VDIMM limit problem, because on 1.7VDD it is the same situation. I tried CH-5 and Infineon BE5 also in dual channel. Infineon BE5 breaks at around 220 MHz (3-4-4-11 2x 1GB), and CH5 goes for 235 MHz (3-4-4-11 2x 512MB).

Reply 641 of 657, by Tzk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

It’s either lacking Vdimm or the chipset doesn’t like dual rank modules. The way to go on Nforce 2 is single sided modules. So BH and CH as 256mb modules.

If your CH sticks run 235Mhz that’s a good start.

Reply 642 of 657, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got my Abit AN7. Too bad i'm only home long enough to do laundry and yard work. I was able to see if it posted tho. It was missing its bios chip and all the jumpers. Not bad for $80 so far.

Reply 643 of 657, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

just as an aside: i got the original nuked-sc55 project to compile and run in linux (debian bookworm) on a 32bit athlon system with no sse2 instruction set. my palomino core isn't fast enough to keep up, but it's far from the fastest athlon. maybe with the less cpu intensive sc55mk1 or scc1a rom the upper echelon barton cpus could keep up.

Reply 644 of 657, by The Sandman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

You guys mind if we add 3DMARk03 to the list? Later AGP Cards with the bridge chip will win anyways. It's the CPU test that I'm interested in (you will get a 3DM score without it, though)

If it will be added please do it like this: 3DM03 overall score and next to it the CPU score

Reply 645 of 657, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ill add both 03 score and CPU score. But not right now. Ill do it when i get home.

Reply 647 of 657, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VooDooMan wrote on 2026-09-29, 22:43:

Here is my second attempt, this time featuring a Radeon HD 3850 😀

No tweaking this time, just aggressive RAM timings and some OC on the card.

Gotta try a different BIOS to move further....

Nice score. In the future please show the first screen for CPU Z.

Reply 648 of 657, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Sandman wrote on 2026-09-25, 16:53:

You guys mind if we add 3DMARk03 to the list? Later AGP Cards with the bridge chip will win anyways. It's the CPU test that I'm interested in (you will get a 3DM score without it, though)

If it will be added please do it like this: 3DM03 overall score and next to it the CPU score

Added new scores to board.

Reply 649 of 657, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VooDooMan wrote on 2026-09-29, 22:43:

Here is my second attempt, this time featuring a Radeon HD 3850 😀

No tweaking this time, just aggressive RAM timings and some OC on the card.

Gotta try a different BIOS to move further....

250 FSB on a NF7-S AND 512MB sticks!!! I can't believe it. Well done! Out of curiously, do you have the NF7-S with black or blue dimms? What exact BIOS are you currently using?

Reply 650 of 657, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zuldan wrote on 2026-09-30, 00:55:
VooDooMan wrote on 2026-09-29, 22:43:

Here is my second attempt, this time featuring a Radeon HD 3850 😀

No tweaking this time, just aggressive RAM timings and some OC on the card.

Gotta try a different BIOS to move further....

250 FSB on a NF7-S AND 512MB sticks!!! I can't believe it. Well done! Out of curiously, do you have the NF7-S with black or blue dimms? What exact BIOS are you currently using?

Hes running T2

Reply 651 of 657, by _digitalbath

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

@VooDooMan great score!
I wonder what dram sticks you used. I guess not Winbond.

Reply 652 of 657, by SlowA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

What drivers and versions do you use for 3850&nForce 2?

Reply 653 of 657, by The Sandman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Thanx for updating the list. But it's not over.

Reply 654 of 657, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
supercordo wrote on 2026-09-30, 00:00:
VooDooMan wrote on 2026-09-29, 22:43:

Here is my second attempt, this time featuring a Radeon HD 3850 😀

No tweaking this time, just aggressive RAM timings and some OC on the card.

Gotta try a different BIOS to move further....

Nice score. In the future please show the first screen for CPU Z.

Whoops, sorry! There you go:
HEREITIS.jpg

zuldan wrote on 2026-09-30, 00:55:
VooDooMan wrote on 2026-09-29, 22:43:

Here is my second attempt, this time featuring a Radeon HD 3850 😀

No tweaking this time, just aggressive RAM timings and some OC on the card.

Gotta try a different BIOS to move further....

250 FSB on a NF7-S AND 512MB sticks!!! I can't believe it. Well done! Out of curiously, do you have the NF7-S with black or blue dimms? What exact BIOS are you currently using?

Thanks!

Nahh... those aren't rare 512 MB sticks, just regular 1 GB ones - take a closer look 😉

The board is reddish and all the other components are in different colors.
The AGP port is brown, the PCI slots are white, and the DIMM slots are black, so there are lots of colors in here – I like it 😀

The BIOS is by Merlin. I've only tried one so far...

_digitalbath wrote on 2026-09-30, 05:18:

@VooDooMan great score!
I wonder what dram sticks you used. I guess not Winbond.

Thank you 😀 Hmmm... I think you know what these are 😜 I don't want to hype them up too much, but these are the 'fresh ones', you know... 😉 Innodisk did a great job here 😁

SlowA wrote on 2026-09-30, 05:28:

What drivers and versions do you use for 3850&nForce 2?

TBH, the very first ones I tried that actually worked! 😁 Catalyst 9.1 something, + AGP hotfix patch of course...

And now a serious question: How much tweaking is allowed here? I could have easily scored about 500 more points if I had dug deep enough into the Windows registry, but I don't want to cross the line...

Best Tualatin Motherboard
ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 655 of 657, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@supercordo and @tehsiggI any news with your AN7’s?

Reply 656 of 657, by tehsiggi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zuldan wrote on 2026-10-02, 07:50:

@supercordo and @tehsiggI any news with your AN7’s?

My A7N8X - codename "oldie" is waiting for it's re-cap.. waiting for my INA226 to arrive, then I can continue. I've got two new CPUs ready for testing, which at least look promising. The other A7N8X "phoenix" is a bit of an annoyance.. It sometimes works fine, and sometimes it refuses to post. So that re-cap of oldie will have to happen first.. Then I'll come back here for a swing 😀

VooDooMan wrote on 2026-09-30, 22:13:

And now a serious question: How much tweaking is allowed here? I could have easily scored about 500 more points if I had dug deep enough into the Windows registry, but I don't want to cross the line...

Imho find what works best.. there are no restrictions.. apart I guess from running the benches in a way that manipulates their workload and results.

AGP Card Real Power Consumption
AGP Power monitor - diagnostic hardware tool
Graphics card repair collection

Reply 657 of 657, by Zydar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Hello,
I'm new here but several weeks ago I find this new hobby to research potencial of my student PC. Below is my first result before fine tune, I waiting for better cooler (now Copper silent V1 + P8Max), case (now original Eurocase), heatsinks for mosfets, re paste all etc.