Thanks LSS, you are running another newer version that relied on new symbols, I added those it might work now. I addresses some keyboard mapping issues between OS personalities and other fixes. Also fixed executing across personalities in the different versions.
On the other hand, sound underrun messages still spams the log a bit (as seen in the NDN log), even though sound is working without apparent issues.
I wonder if there are options to mitigate it somehow.
Besides, it seems I cannot launch any other OS ports of NDN from the DPMI32 version of NDN, complaining about "This program must be run under xxx" (xxx being Win32 or OS/2 depending on the port type). Perhaps this is a limitation.
And by the way... I wonder if it's somehow possible to make Windows or OS/2 processes run fullscreen, as "Make window/Make fullscreen" doesn't seem to have any effect on Windows or OS/2 processes (such as NDN ports) at the moment.
EDIT: I noticed something odd with DN/2 Windows version. In the bottom line where it shows the info of the selected file (file name, size, timestamp), only the file name is being shown correctly, while the size and timestamp appear garbled.
I downloaded DN/2 and fixed the issues. garbled text was a windows locale syscall missing. It seems to work for me.
Right now os2, windows and linux are all composited. I should make a fullscreen/resize solution.
I added vga-uni unicode rendering and unicode support for linux,win,os2 and a locale in config.sys. DN/2 should display correctly in Cyrillic (this was the garbled text). Keyboards should also work for different countries.
LOCALE=nl-NL in config.sys, not all combinations are added.
Did a boot test on my H97 system.
Still hangs with cursor blinking on the very first line.
But looks like there are additional messages now, apart from memory range listing.
I wonder if this means an issue with IRQ with Intel 9 series.
Testing this on my B75 system and got a kernel panic when running DN/2 OS/2 version.
Apparently, this kernel panic happens on pretty much everything that switches from native VGA to Framebuffer.
Including both Windows and OS/2 versions of DN/2 and NDN.
In fact, just by pressing F12 to open the host monitor menu is enough to trigger it (system hangs with a black screen, probably a panic whose output is not visible).
Probably a regression as I did not encounter this kind of panic before.
I'm not exactly on 0.8.0 but on your latest commit (d39a418), using build artifact from the CI workflow (retroos-<full commit hash>).
This is a panic when running Windows versions of DN/2 or NDN.
I do not encounter this panic on my X570 system which is booting with UEFI (GOP Framebuffer).
Both Windows and OS/2 versions of DN/2 and NDN launched fine (from DNOSP 6.4.0 Real-mode).
Windows version of DN/2 still has the garbled info line despite the UI language is already set to English. Not sure why.
The OS/2 version of DN/2 seems to use Russian by default (probably because I'm using en-US locale so it can't render Cyrillic), switching to English and everything (including the info line) looks fine.
@LSS it looks like physical memory exhaustion allocating the buffer for compositing. The full klog would be helpful, then I can see what mode (how much mem for the framebuffer) and how much memory is available.
I'll try to shore up some mem inefficiencies. I need to refactor the allocator and page sharing some more.
I improved the memory / page allocation, it should now have access to all memory available. I added more diagnostics on booting that might shine some light on the h97 problem.
I improved the memory / page allocation, it should now have access to all memory available. I added more diagnostics on booting that might shine some light on the h97 problem.
Some quick test results with the latest commit.
On my B75 the OOM is no longer there. However, it seems for some reasons, both Windows and OS/2 versions of DN/2 hang on launch and has to be killed via F12 menu.
The klog doesn't show much info apart from quite a few sound underrun spams.
After killing DN/2 the keyboard feels sluggish. However, I'm able to subsequently run both Windows and OS/2 versions of NDN fine, and after exiting from those versions, keyboard responsiveness restored to normal.
And as for the H97 system. This time it booted.
From the klog I'm able to see it correctly initialized the dISAppointment and performed ISA PnP.
However, it's not picking up my card (ESS1869) despite it's listed in the ISA PnP output, probably because it's not an official Creative Sound Blaster card.
I'm using hkzlab's ES1868_ISA8 card that I assembled. I'm using an ES1869F chip which also works, though with other OSes I still need to use ES1868 drivers. UNISOUND (using the /XEA option as suggested by the board author) can configure the card without any issue.
Though I'd like to know if there's a way to somehow store the active klog back to the USB stick even in Protected Disk mode.
As on some systems that I'm initially testing booting RetroOS with, there may not be any partition immediately available that I could let RetroOS use as backing partition for storing persistent klog files.
On my B75 the OOM is no longer there. However, it seems for some reasons, both Windows and OS/2 versions of DN/2 hang on launch and has to be killed via F12 menu.
After killing DN/2 the keyboard feels sluggish. However, I'm able to subsequently run both Windows and OS/2 versions of NDN fine, and after exiting from those versions, keyboard responsiveness restored to normal.
This used to work before right? So this is a regression? Keyboard responsiveness is very weird, I have no idea at moment, how apps could influence that.
LSS10999wrote on Today, 00:49:And as for the H97 system. This time it booted.
From the klog I'm able to see it correctly initialized the dISAppointment and pe […] Show full quote
And as for the H97 system. This time it booted.
From the klog I'm able to see it correctly initialized the dISAppointment and performed ISA PnP.
However, it's not picking up my card (ESS1869) despite it's listed in the ISA PnP output, probably because it's not an official Creative Sound Blaster card.
I'm using hkzlab's ES1868_ISA8 card that I assembled. I'm using an ES1869F chip which also works, though with other OSes I still need to use ES1868 drivers. UNISOUND (using the /XEA option as suggested by the board author) can configure the card without any issue.
Huh?!? It now works, wow. Maybe it's the memory. I added ESS detection/initialization. Note: kernel mixing requites 16bit so only sb16, but sound blaster pro 2.0 should still allow for native use by dos apps. So if it now logs detection games should work with it.
Though I'd like to know if there's a way to somehow store the active klog back to the USB stick even in Protected Disk mode.
As on some systems that I'm initially testing booting RetroOS with, there may not be any partition immediately available that I could let RetroOS use as backing partition for storing persistent klog files.
Yes, I realize next important thing is to have usb storage driver added. The usb stick workflow is the most convenient for starting so I'll add this. Thank you for testing.
This used to work before right? So this is a regression? Keyboard responsiveness is very weird, I have no idea at moment, how apps could influence that.
Yes this does appear as a regression, and I'm not sure what might have influenced the keyboard responsiveness.
- When launching OS/2 version I got a completely black screen but F12 can be called out to kill it.
- When launching Windows version I get a window and working mouse cursor but it seems to be stuck on loading for some reasons (a small white rectangle in the upper left) so I had to kill it.
When I went to launch Windows and OS/2 versions of NDN, however, they both started fine, and keyboard responsiveness returned to normal while inside NDN and after exit.
Maybe install fresh/delete dn.cfg or so. Maybe something wrong, i cant repro locally.
Questions:
- On your setup with SB16 (dISApointment) and HDA together, does live toggling while running a game playing on sound blaster between "kernel emulated" and native work?
- Does the new release work on your H97 with correct sb detection?
- Does the H97 boot now deterministically? Or was it a lucky boot, where some irq didn't happen in a critical section.