VOGONS

slow - slower ---> tie fighter from Lucas Arts

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by debianfan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some Years (nearly 10) Years ago i playes Tie Fighter on my Pentium 100 computer - with 64 MB Ram 😉

It runs well.

I want to play Tie Fighter with Dosbox on my computer:

1. Motherboard - Gigabyte
2. Processor type and speed - AMD Athlon XP 2400+
3. Amount and type of RAM - DDR 1 - 2 Gigabyte
4. Video board w/ RAM amount and type - ATI 9800 SE
5. Sound board - ESS1860 - Standard Sound Chip
6. Operating system - WINDOWS XP - with SP2
7. Game name (and version, if applicable) - Tie Fighter from Lucas Arts
9. Reproducibility of problem - always
10. Sound mode used - sound blaster standard
11. Video mode - standard mode - nothing special - in the time the game was written, there was no opengl or direct x 😉
12. Version of emulator (for VDMSound, probably 2.0.4 or 2.1.0; for DOSBox, 0.58+) - dosbox V.0.72

It was slow - very very slow - it was horrible - i put the grafical details to low - no changes in speed.

What can i do?

Thanx

Reply 3 of 26, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1. read the Readme
2. *really* read the Readme (because if you don't you probably won't get much help here) 🙄
3a. open the file dosbox.conf in your DOSBox directory, look for the entry "core=auto" and change it to "core=dynamic".
3b. change the entry "cycles=auto" to "cycles=max"

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 7 of 26, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, setting "auto" cycles doesn't work very well with this game. I'm playing the collector's CD-ROM, and had to use "max" cycles to make it work well. Another speed boost can be obtained by choosing the fastest "output" mode (depends on the system).

I'm using Gulizoka's build on Windows with the "direct3d" output method, and the game runs perfect in SVGA and full details on my crappy P4/2.6Ghz. After some heavy mapper config, i can play the game with a XBox gamepad, only using the keyboard occasionally for stuff like the map or the "Goals" display. Now, if only the missions weren't so frustratingly difficult... (;

Oh, and btw: the correct game name is "TIE Fighter" (_T_win _I_on _E_ngines).

Reply 11 of 26, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm then max and auto should be identical. Maybe they do some timing when still in real mode then.

Last edited by Qbix on 2009-03-04, 15:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 12 of 26, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I might have this game at home. Will check later.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 14 of 26, by wizzel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can confirm that the first release of Tie Fighter (Disks) runs very slow.
You need to set cpu=dynamic and cycles=max.

Then (depending on your PC's horsepower) it runs absolutely fluid.

The differences between the fist release (Disks) and the CD-ROM Collectors Edition?

Well, i quote mobygames here:

Beside the new missions, some technical improvements are made in the game:

* improved screen resolution to SVGA (640*480)
* added new cut scenes
* full voice mission briefings and radio calls (the so called "Talkie" version)
* improved the interactive mission briefing

Hope that sums it all up. 😁

The future of computation lies in emulation.

Reply 15 of 26, by LaL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Addict,
Could you post the DOSBox joystick settings and the mapper file
you used to run TIE Fighter with XBox controller?

I am myself trying to do the same for TIE Fighter Collector's CD Edition and the results are far from satisfactory (no hat mapping, poor calibration)

thanks,
Al

Reply 16 of 26, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can post the files (have to look for them, i've just recently switched to Vista and couldn't get XBCD working yet), but i doubt they'll be of much use. I've first customized the XBCD settings heavily, and then started to change DOSBox' mapping. This means you'll need the same XBCD version i was using, the XBCD config file (i think XBCD profiles can be exported, but i'm not sure), and the DOSBox mapper file. The result would be my personal config, which you'd have to "learn". If you want to go that route just tell me, i'll upload the files.

The other option would be to enable you to create your own mapping (it's easy once you understand how the mapper is working). What is your problem with mapping? Your calibration problem can probably be solved by changing the ""timed" parameter in dosbox.conf. If you're still having trouble with calibration, try running the game with a fixed cycle count.

Reply 17 of 26, by LaL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Addict,
thanks for the reply. I guess I should start by switching to XBCD driver, as I I've been using the MS default this far (and not being quite happy with it).

I managed to do some remapping Ok, it's really not an issue, but the calibration turned out tricky. Using

[joystick]
joysticktype=2axis
timed=false
autofire=false
swap34=true
buttonwrap=false

is the only option with my current setup (w. MS legacy driver that is) that works at all. Even with that, TIE in DosBOX .072 gets usually messed up with the calibration and there is remaining jitter. And what's more fun, just toggling the main axes seems to randomly trigger BUTTON1 (no explicit mapping according to Dosbox maper) which is not very nice.

I will try with XBCD and fixed cycles first. Thank you for the tip anyhow.

Al

Reply 18 of 26, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, you should check out XBCD. Just make yourself familiar with it and post specific problems or questions once you're set. All i can say now is that i don't have any problems with the game. It doesn't loose calibration, and i can map every button and axis on the controller to my liking in DOSBox.

Reply 19 of 26, by LaL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quick return to the old issue as I finally got it all together:

I think there are some many potential gotchas in the process that I wrote I guide to help setting up this combination:

http://iki.fi/lassial/guides/computers/Play_T … hter_in_Windows

This page also links to an example configuration files for XBox360 controller using XBCD and DOSBox together, including custom mappings for both XBCD and DOSBox mapper.

aL