VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought Jedi Knight (Dark Forces 2) for the PC, and discovered something odd about the "MOTS" expansion CD. It didn't have a CD audio soundtrack. From my understanding, and I could be wrong of course, I was led to believe that it did have an audio soundtrack, and you could play it in an ordinary CD player. Well, I came to the conclusion that I may have inadvertantly bought a bootleg/pirate copy, so I bought it again (from ebay). But, I get the same problem with this copy too - no audio tracks on the MOTS CD. Perhaps it doesn't have any audio tracks after all! Anyone care to verify this please? Thanks! 😀

Reply 1 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MOTS expansion? never knew it existed... I recently bought Jedi Knight 2, came in 2 CD's

I did a little research , and I see that the mots expansion ISO is 170MB, so no way it has audio tracks 😊

ooh and I see MOTS comes with an engine update! groovy!

Reply 2 of 10, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

MOTS expansion? never knew it existed... I recently bought Jedi Knight 2, came in 2 CD's

I did a little research , and I see that the mots expansion ISO is 170MB, so no way it has audio tracks 😊

ooh and I see MOTS comes with an engine update! groovy!

Hehe! 😁 I'm glad my post helped you out! Better grab yourself a copy, MOTS is a hoot! It's got coloured lighting in it, and I think it uses DirectX 6, whereas JK used DirectX 5.

Reply 3 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

My version of Mysteries of the Sith has Audio tracks. It's the German version, though. Hmm, at least the cover and backcover of the CD jewel case is in German, it seems all the docs/readme... on the CD are in English. Been a while since I played that 😀
I doubt that it is DX6, since if it differs from the main game, it should include the DX6 installer, which at least my version doesn't...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 10, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:

My version of Mysteries of the Sith has Audio tracks. It's the German version, though. Hmm, at least the cover and backcover of the CD jewel case is in German, it seems all the docs/readme... on the CD are in English. Been a while since I played that 😀
I doubt that it is DX6, since if it differs from the main game, it should include the DX6 installer, which at least my version doesn't...

Hehe, the mystery deepens! 😉 😀

If you've got time, please could you compare the audio tracks on the MOTS disc, with the 2 JK discs? Maybe the MOTS tracks are the same as one of the 2 JK discs? If the MOTS tracks are different, damn, I gonna have to ferret about on ebay for a THIRD copy!

If you think it doesn't use DX6, then it probably doesn't, as I'm usually wrong about most things. 😉

Reply 5 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The DirectX issue, I browsed through the sith.doc on the Cd and it only mentions DirectX 5, so I'm pretty sure it's a DX5 game and not DX6 😀

I'll check the tracks when I have time 😀

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

LucasArts - Jedi Knight Mysteries of the Sith

01. Data 41:55
02. Music Track 1 02:09
03. Music Track 2 03:33
04. Music Track 3 02:01
05. Music Track 4 02:02
06. Music Track 5 02:06
07. Music Track 6 02:27
08. Music Track 7 02:02
09. Music Track 8 02:30
10. Music Track 9 02:02
11. Music Track 10 02:07
12. Music Track 11 03:01
13. Music Track 12 02:13
14. Music Track 13 02:18

That's the information that EAC gives me on the CD. Too lazy to compare this to JK myself now 😀

Reply 7 of 10, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My copy of MotS is the North American release labeled 7101830. The SITH.DOC file indicates the following concerning DirectX:

Mysteries of the Sith needs to have DirectX 5.0 installed to run. During the installation, you will be prompted to install DirectX 5.0 if it is not already installed on your system. You need to have your original Jedi Knight Disk #1 available to install DirectX 5.0.

The same file also indicates the following concerning the game's music:

Pauses in Gameplay Due to CD Music Track Change Some CD-ROM drives may have slower track-to-track access, so when the music reac […]
Show full quote

Pauses in Gameplay Due to CD Music Track Change
Some CD-ROM drives may have slower track-to-track access, so when the music reaches the end of its track, there may be a pause while the music reloads. If you have experienced this problem you may want to turn off the Music option to avoid pauses in the game by going to the Sound section located in the Setup section from the main menu (or the in-game menu).

CD Audio
Please make sure that you have the CD audio cable connected correctly between your sound card and CD-ROM drive to hear music in the game. You can check this by plugging your head phone or speakers into the front of your CD-ROM to see if you hear music playing. If you hear sound from the front of the CD-ROM drive, but do not hear music in the game, then the audio cable is probably not connected and you should contact the manufacturer for assistance in connecting this cable.

Track times in Win98 SE CD Player:

1 41:55 (data)
2 02:09
3 03:33
4 02:01
5 02:02
6 02:06
7 02:27
8 02:02
9 02:30
10 02:02
11 02:07
12 03:01
13 02:13
14 02:18

So this is the same as Dominus' disc.

Reply 9 of 10, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have cross checked the track listing information on the two Jedi Knight CDs, with the audio track listing information on the MotS disc provided by Dominus & Akula65. As the "bodge job" illustration shows, many of the JK discs' audio tracks appear to be reused on the MotS disc. Well, that is just an assumption I suppose.

(The illustration also highlights the fact that I've got too much free time on my hands.)

Edit: The penny has finally dropped. If you "add up" all of the numbers in the extra column that I have added, you get 2 through to 14 inclusive, meaning that it's very likely that all of the MotS tracks have been "borrowed" from both of the two JK discs.

Mystery solved, perhaps? 😉

Attachments

• jk.jpg
    Filename
    jk.jpg
    File size
    38.82 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception