VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can anyone post some pictures showing the items used and how to remove those glued on heatsinks?

I have 2 or 3 such tall fins heatsink which I want to use on other cpus, mainly in terms of avoiding the cpu fans. All are Pentium cpus (Pentium 75 - P166MMX), with the ceramic base and one black plastic base P200MMX cpu.

(I'll try fixing a huge LGA based heatsink on a P54c or P55c cpu and put up the pictures in the mean time. I have those extra Socket 7 heatsink clips which I may somehow fix it with the bigga pappa heatsink. This is crazy, but then, it'll be cool checking out the temp.😀)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 1 of 13, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

putty knife + twist = problem solved (or, well.... cpu ruined, 🤣)

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 2 of 13, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Throw it in the freezer. The glue will become brittle when it's cold 😀

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 3 of 13, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, let me put this in another way : Can anyone post some pictures showing the items used and how to remove those glued on heatsinks,without ruining the cpu? 🤣

Reply 4 of 13, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's a not so nice way of removing the glued heatsink :

img01979iy.jpg

img01947ab.jpg

img01938lm.jpg

img02042en.jpg

No. This is not my trial.

Here's the source if anyone feels like venting anger on the person who did this to the 486 cpu! 😁 :

http://www.hard2mano.com/index.php?showtopic=12322

Reply 5 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

extreme temperature conditions... I would pick the freezer though ...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 13, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So'd you put a wide blade putty knife between the CPU and HS and twist yet?

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 9 of 13, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mike 01Hawk wrote:

putty knife + twist = problem solved (or, well.... cpu ruined, 🤣)

I thought you're not supposed to twist the knife. It'll damage the chip, no?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 10 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got a related question. I have a couple cpu's I removed the HSF from, but theres a large thick piece of glue left on them which is impossible to remove with alcohol. Anyone have any idea on how I can get the thick layer of (white/yellowish) glue from the cpu without damaging it too much?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 13, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Kreshna, I wouldn't think so if the blade is the width of the chip. <shrug>

Tetrium, straight edge razor blade.

Reply 12 of 13, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I recall correctly, someone on 3dfxZone forum said it's better to use a pencil (or other cylindrical object) as the knife's leverage instead of twisting the knife. If you're using leverage, you won't put pressure on the chip (as opposed to twisting).

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 13 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mike 01Hawk wrote:

So'd you put a wide blade putty knife between the CPU and HS and twist yet?

Whenever I (try to) remove a heatsink from a PCB using something to use as a lever, I'll put a small plastic card (like an old telephone card or old credit card or so) and hold it on the PCB to prevent damage to the PCB.
The very 1st time I twisted off a heatsink from an old graphics card, I accidentally broke off one of those tiny resistors 😦
Still seemed to work though but I'd rather not take any chances of damaging something