VOGONS

First post, by redblade7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I mentioned in this old post that I was porting stuff to DJGPP/DOSbox and suggested uploading the results to VOGONS.

I mentioned this is tougher to accomplish due to a lack of LFN support messing up parts of DJGPP, which according to DOSbox developers is unlikely to happen, due to their focus on non-text-based gaming. Thus the greater effort needed for ports.

This thread is intended to allow VOGONS members to post sources and binaries of DJGPP-compiled FOSS applications and games.

Note that this is an unofficial thread and started by VOGONS user RedBlade7, with no connection to the forum admins or DOSbox developers.

Have fun,

-redblade7

Rogue Central @ coredumpcentral.org

Reply 1 of 9, by redblade7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Attached here is:

batlship.zip: ESR's Battleship
wumpus.zip: ESR's Wumpus & Superhack

ISSUE: Wumpus does not offer a quit option, and since DOSbox lacks Ctrl-C you need to close the DOSbox window when finished.

Attachments

• Filename
    batlship.zip
    File size
    90.51 KiB
    Downloads
    448 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    wumpus.zip
    File size
    106.81 KiB
    Downloads
    439 downloads
    File license

-redblade7

Reply 2 of 9, by redblade7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

eights.zip: Text-based Crazy Eights game of unknown authorship. Downloaded from Freshmeat, who lists it as Public Domain.

hodie.zip: Latin date and time according to ancient Roman calendar system.

nibbles.zip: Simple Nibbles game by Luke Th. Bullock and Nils Magnus Englund. Color ASCII characters, three speeds.

Attachments

• Filename
    eights.zip
    File size
    53.19 KiB
    Downloads
    422 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    hodie.zip
    File size
    70.82 KiB
    Downloads
    431 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    nibbles.zip
    File size
    59 KiB
    Downloads
    420 downloads
    File license

-redblade7

Reply 3 of 9, by redblade7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

atrogue is an obscure roguelike game, color ASCII characters.

Official site

It seems to resemble the Roguelike Restoration Project games. (I will not post the RRP games here as they have released their own DJGPP ports on their Web site)

atrog030.zip: Version 0.3.0

Notes:

I have renamed contents of the "docu/" documentation folder from *.html to *.htm, plus run Cygwin's unix2dos on the files (which I run on most of the source and readme files as well) and shortened the HTM files to 8 characters.

I checked for missed changes to the documentation a few times, and I should have gotten all of them renamed, but I might be wrong. Let me know if I missed something.

Part of the documentation depends on README.TXT and INSTALL.TXT, which are case sensitive and must be in the source folder below it.

Attachments

• Filename
    atrog030.zip
    File size
    597.75 KiB
    Downloads
    466 downloads
    File license

-redblade7

Reply 4 of 9, by redblade7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

linrog37.zip: LinuxRogue for DOS 😀

This is LinuxRogue 0.3.7, the modern descendant of the Rogue Clone.

The current maintainers are Greg Kennedy and Jesse Printz.

Changes I made for porting included shortening filenames to 8x3, unix2dos, ./ROGUE.SCO instead of ./.roguescores, and changing from ncurses to pdcurses.

There is no documentation included in 0.3.7 - I have included documentation from 0.3.4.

--ATTACHMENT HERE IS AN OLDER COPY WITH BUGS: SEE REPLIES BELOW FOR BETTER ONE--

Attachments

Last edited by redblade7 on 2012-01-17, 03:18. Edited 2 times in total.

-redblade7

Reply 5 of 9, by redblade7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

ESR recently released version 2.8 of his Battleship game. The Freshmeat release page states "This version is a port to modern C."

bs28dos.zip: ESR's Battleship (version 2.8 )

BTW the Roguelike Restoration Project (mentioned above) page is down, but all the downloads (including the DJGPP ports) are at SourceForge. The Web site, rogue.rogueforge.net, is accessible via the Internet Archive (BBCode doesn't like the IA's "two links in a row" format so I can't post the address here). If you like roguelikes, I strongly recommend you download these games while you can.

Attachments

• Filename
    bs28dos.zip
    File size
    91.39 KiB
    Downloads
    416 downloads
    File license

-redblade7

Reply 6 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bet a lot of these could be compiled as native win32 console apps using Cygwin or Mingw32 and would run fine on modern systems unless they have timing issues.

Also, I believe the DJGPP port of UMoria (roguelike, parent of better-known Angband) that I made around 15 years ago may still be the "official" one 😀

Reply 7 of 9, by redblade7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bet a lot of these could be compiled as native win32 console apps using Cygwin or Mingw32 and would run fine on modern systems unless they have timing issues.

Yes they are all fine on Cygwin.

I don't play any of the later DOS games the developers here say they are targeting, but the games with ASCII (e.g. Roguelikes) and/or simple graphics (e.g. Jill of the Jungle, Capture the Flag) I play look very sharp under DOSbox due to the modern video rendering and that's why I prefer it over Cygwin.

-redblade7

Reply 9 of 9, by redblade7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

From the resurrected Rogue Central @ coredumpcentral.org:

LINUXROGUE REPACKAGED & WIZARDIZED! […]
Show full quote

LINUXROGUE REPACKAGED & WIZARDIZED!

1. Nicer directory structure.
2. Includes patchfile: Two wizard mode commands changed for compatibility & functionality.
3. Includes patchfile: 'v' now shows the proper v0.3.7.
4. Additional documentation, including that of wizard mode.

LINUXROGUE FOR DOS ADDITIONAL CHANGES:

1. Broken link fixed - now you can actually download it! 😀
2. Both patches listed above have been already applied to the DOS version.
3. Before applying the patches, the DOS modifications were redone (and a bit less messy)
4. Major cleanup of directory structure. All development and source files are now in a subdirectory, making the program easier to use and see.
5. Includes the additional documentation as stated above, as well as DOS-specific documentation.

I have attached the new LinuxRogue for DOS v0.3.7 to this message, or you may download the program (with the GnuPG signature) at Rogue Central @ coredumpcentral.org.

Attachments

-redblade7