DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 681 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everybody,

So, some two months ago I decided it would be nice to have the ability to change a profile's DOSBox association such that only the _differences_ from the default configuration would be taken into account for the new association.

For example, suppose that a profile exists on DOSBox version 0.65 which only has the cycles setting different from the defaults. In DBGL, one could only 'set' another association, meaning as many settings as possible would be migrated onto the new association. In this example, the gus would thus remain enabled, and all mixer rates would stay on 22050. But there are times you don't want that behavior. You just want the alterations to be saved (only the cycles setting). That I tried to implement; how hard could it be? Well, a lot harder than I imagined, most of the code to read and parse configuration settings had gotten so overly complicated that I simply had to rewrite big parts of it.

Thus, while this is yet another test-build named 0.69c, I might just as well have called it 0.72c because really a lot of (core) code has changed this time. Users are once again strongly encouraged to make backups of their data prior to testing this new build.

What's new in testing build 0.69c:

- added the possibility to 'switch' to another DOSBox version
- implemented multiprofile deletion
- implemented 3rd booter image (Neville)
- implemented desktop shortcut creation for Linux (KDE and Gnome)
- added preliminary support for the new ems settings (emsboard and emm386)
- added Korean translation from Tae-woong
- tweaked template values a bit
- upgraded SWT to 3.6.1

No other changes are planned for the coming release, I just want to make sure everything still works as it should so that - in the meantime - the translators have some time to keep up (hint hint 😉) with their work. Please report any strange behavior or bugs when you find them.

All the latest files, to upgrade just grab the jar as usual.

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 682 of 1962, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Latest ykhwong's SVN introduces some changes regarding Glide emulation that may affect frontends:

SVN build for Windows: 2010-11-10 SVN build for Linux: 2010-10-30 […]
Show full quote

SVN build for Windows: 2010-11-10
SVN build for Linux: 2010-10-30

WHAT'S NEW
------------------
1. Based on SVN r3659
As of this update, some config settings were changed.
For instance, you must use "config -set scaler=hq2x" instead of "scaler hq2x" on the shell prompt of DOSBox.
2. Added kekko's 3dfx voodoo chip emulation.
According to kekko's description:
- higher compatibility with titles (even those with integrated .ovl)
- portability
- integration with dosbox internal renderer: full-screen, different output modes and video capture would be supported
- no need of external libs
- d3d support for win9x games
Set glide=emu in config if you want to use this. It will use glide2x_emu.ovl instead.
For more information, go to 3dfx voodoo chip emulation
Do not ask how to build or how to speed up there.
NOTE: Read USAGE_EN.TXT for details.
3. Updated openglide patch (Thanks, gulikoza)
Fixed a text output problem caused by my error in GTA1.
4. Fixed Save & Load state a bit
5. Fixed some minor bugs

BTW, if there are changes to be made to the translations I'll need to be reminded of the necessary steps. I downloaded the required files from the homepage but didn'd notice any new strings.

Reply 684 of 1962, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the update, rcblanke. Do you have a plan to convert the existing java application file to executable (.exe)? I googled around and found some free jar to exe conversion utilities. (dunno if they still depend on java runtime) Some people do not like to install Java Runtime on their machines.

I downloaded the required files from the homepage but didn'd notice any new strings.

I found something like this according to rcblanke's update description.

dialog.template.switch = Switch

This was not intended

I thought it was intended due to the favor of "config -set" 😉 Thanks for the fix.

Reply 685 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Neville wrote:

...I downloaded the required files from the homepage but didn'd notice any new strings.

The i18n.zip file is updated, look in the end part of the translation file(s) for new stuff.

ykhwong wrote:

Do you have a plan to convert the existing java application file to executable (.exe)? I googled around and found some free jar to exe conversion utilities. (dunno if they still depend on java runtime) Some people do not like to install Java Runtime on their machines.

Not really. The main DBGL.JAR can now be executed directly, and the native code compilers that I could find are either commercial or technically lacking (GCJ). I've made an exe wrapper (Launch4J) for convenience, but that still depends on a JVM though. If you can find a java to native code generator that you think can work for DBGL, please let me know.

Reply 686 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DBGL 0.70 is available on the website; some last fixes:

- "exit afterwards" is enabled by default for new profiles, as it should
- fixed regression (crash) for 'send to' functionality
- fixed crash when using the 'old-style' swt.jar, just take the new dbgl.jar to update
- Spanish translation update from Neville

regards,
Ronald

Reply 689 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi CJ,

Pixelshader is an unofficial feature in Gulikoza's and YKHWong's DOSBox builds. The setting in DBGL will get enabled if you associate the current profile to one of these DOSBox versions.

Reply 690 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all,

A new test-build 0.70a is up:

* implemented MobyGames image querying (requested by many)
* auto filter creation when using multi-select; the newly created filter will store the currently selected profiles
* fixed a crash-bug when 'switching' or 'setting' a DOSBox version when multi-editing profiles with mixed DOSBox associations (Ken)
- fixed 'machine' setting when multi-editing profiles with mixed DOSBox associations (prevents "machine=" in .conf)
* fixed dbgl shell script for OpenSuse systems (Armin)
* fixed some minor memory leaks

Regards,
Ronald

Attachments

• Filename
    moby.jpg
    File size
    189.14 KiB
    Downloads
    530 downloads
    File comment
    MobyGames cover art and screenshots; simply select the ones you'd like to save
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 691 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since I consider the issues that were fixed in the latest test-build important enough, the new release is up. The only thing changed is the button height for the retrieved images on Mac systems. Go easy on the MobyGames server, everyone 😉

Reply 692 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another issue was found; imported games did not get a relative .conf file path (regression since 0.69c). Fixed in this test-build, 0.71a.

Ronald

Reply 693 of 1962, by Bzzz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
DBGL 0.71 crashes when saving a new game profile. Same thing happens when just selecting an imported one...any ideas? 😀

Console output is attached. Please let me know if you need further debug information.

Attachments

• Filename
    debug.txt
    File size
    3.4 KiB
    Downloads
    264 downloads
    File comment
    console output of ./dbgl
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 694 of 1962, by chrstphr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The DBGL page for legacy builds (http://members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/legacy.html) leads to an entire dead website. I wished to back off a
few versions, but clearly cannot. Perhaps you can put it in Sourceforge or
some well known open-source site?

Reply 696 of 1962, by code120

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I noticed that when a profile is exported, custom key mappings are not (the configuration of the profile refers to the custom file, but the file itself (.map in the /profiles dir) isn't exported).

### Cosmic Supremacy ### --- a free 3D space MMO for Civilization and Master of Orion fans!!!

Reply 698 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all,

A new test-build is up (0.71c), with the following changes:

* Using database transactions to prevent invalid profile entries from being created in rare cases (which could cause crashes as reported by Bzzz)
* Startup database scan to remove invalid profile entries if necessary (Bzzz)
* Error-handling improvements (Bzzz)
* Keep main exe, params, etc when loading a template, fixing a regression since 0.69c
* Added 'forced scaler' support (leileilol, Qbix et al.)
* Added launch.exe (launch4j Java wrapper) for Windows package to (hopefully) work around issues regarding the Java installer which causes people to have trouble starting DBGL (Neville)

Regards,
Ronald