VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 53, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The console only tells you that this is your real joystick and how many buttons it has, the emulation is still only up to four buttons. Look at it as if the console tells you what graphics card your PC has, Dosbox will still only emulate what you set in the config file.
Or asked differently, does the Windows 95 in Dosbox install drivers for your real sound card or the one that is set in the config? Get it now? But don't believe me, go on searching and installing drivers. Have fun

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 41 of 53, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

@davros, this is the way of the future.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 43 of 53, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

cant you run xwing under xp ?

from the page below
I found the patch, actually, was called "X-Wing & TIE Fighter 95 Compatibility Fix" created by "Cwagle the Jedi", according to the readme file. I know it works with my old XP machine.

http://boards.theforce.net/games_videogames/b … 05/30733849/p1/

patch
http://www.lucasfiles.com/index.php?file=653

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 44 of 53, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you read my first post in this topic?

OSH wrote:
Well... I'm playing X-Wing 95 for 7 years. And I hadn't any problem until I've bought Asus NVidia GeForce GT 440. On my old Gefo […]
Show full quote

Well...
I'm playing X-Wing 95 for 7 years. And I hadn't any problem until I've bought Asus NVidia GeForce GT 440. On my old Geforce 6100 and Radeon X1550 game worked perfectly with 3D hardware acceleration graphic turned on (of course, I've installed compatibility fix for XP/2000). But after buying this card I see such image:
xwing.png.

This "triangle" is actually an ISD.
I can't beat this problem. I've turned off all options in NVidia settings panel, but it doesn't help. On NVidia forums I see, not only me I have such problem. Turning off 3d acceleration solves problem, but game looks much better with hardware acceleration. Using DGVoodoo doesn't help (game ignore this). DOSBOX 3DFX is still not functional (at least for this game).
System specification:
Windows XP SP3
2 GB RAM
Athlon64 2 GHz
ASUS NVidia GeForce GT 440

Any suggestions?

Reply 46 of 53, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

have you tried different drivers maybe the omega drivers
can xwing 95 use the updated models from the xwa ugrade project ?
if so upgrade the isv

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 47 of 53, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not a real solution, but I think you're better off playing the DOS version of this game, to be honest.

He wants to play with hardware acceleration. Playing the DOS version would be basically the same if he turned D3D off (everything works fine if he does so). Now I'm curious of what else is affected by this.

Reply 48 of 53, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's true but if you use ykhwong's DOSBOX build you can use scalers and filters which give arguably better graphics than the 3d-accelerated version, plus the interstitial cutscenes and iMUSE music. I daresay it would be easier to set that up than trying to run Win98 inside DOSBOX with Glide emulation. I touched on this in a previous post.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 49 of 53, by Good Ol' TarviS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DonutKing wrote:

That's true but if you use ykhwong's DOSBOX build you can use scalers and filters which give arguably better graphics than the 3d-accelerated version, plus the interstitial cutscenes and iMUSE music. I daresay it would be easier to set that up than trying to run Win98 inside DOSBOX with Glide emulation. I touched on this in a previous post.

I would disagree with this. I agree that, due to iMUSE, that the DOS version is superior.

But the 3d-accelerated Windows version has texture-mapped objects, which do significantly make the game look better than the DOS version, even with the scalers. If I recall, the same textures were used with most objects in X-Wing Alliance.

As for actual solutions, here are a few:

1) Copy ddraw.dll from your Windows folder to the gamedir. Make sure you rename the old one first, in case the newer version is completely incompatible with the game.

2) XWA Hacker: http://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3008/download/ … 5ac08563c2110f7
Fixes common graphics problems in X-Wing Alliance, which also includes the Windows versions of X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and XvT as well.

If the batch files mentioned in the readme don't work, use a hex editor and follow instructions in otherfixes.txt.

Reply 50 of 53, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nothing helps. Where I can set for NVidia? Z-Buffer??? I can't find any options to make this.

and:

Dominus wrote:

Windows 95 might support more thatn 4 buttons but Dosbox only emulates 4. You might get somewhere by playing with the joystick modes in the conf

Is it possible to force DOSBOX to detect more than 4 buttons? Will be this change very hard to make?

Reply 53 of 53, by CrisGer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The best advice from the remaining SW community who play X wing is on the X Wing Alliance Upgrade forum for several projects have been done recently to find fixes for some of the problems caused by Nvida cards on the older SW games...you will find many posts about it on the forum on the XWAU forum if you dig a bit.

Admin
3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com/