VOGONS

First post, by Lassar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I programming a dos program, and need to know if DosBox Turbo supports MMX OR SSE?

If it doesn't then, I will avoid using those assembly instructions.

Conquer the FCC GROL, & Amatuer Radio test

Reply 1 of 9, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It should support everything that DOSBox 0.74 does, except the features removed due to limitations of the Android OS (like General MIDI support).
Best to ask the DTurbo dev, though, as this port isn't officially supported here.

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 2 of 9, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No offical version of DOSBox yet supports MMX or SSE instructions.

Future SSE is unlikely as no DOS game I'm aware of uses such (it came out too long after the demise of DOS). MMX is also generally unsupported, though the Yhkwong version of DOSBox does include a pentium_mmx CPU type. It theoretically supports the full MMX instruction set, but may also be buggy.

Old, further discussion of MMX support at...
Pentium MMX emulation - possible?
MMX

Reply 6 of 9, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote:

i thought the mmx patch only adds mmx detection support

I'm not sure. The MMX patch from the other thread I posted states...

kekko wrote:

I made this patch few days ago, it's the complete mmx instruction set for the dosbox interpreter.

...I'm not fully clear it's the patch in Yhkwong's build though.

Reply 7 of 9, by yahma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are only a handful of games that use MMX. So I'm just wondering (out loud) what the purpose of MMX in DosBox would be other than to run those few titles? Emulating MMX would not make existing games any faster.

Reply 9 of 9, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yahma wrote:

There are only a handful of games that use MMX. So I'm just wondering (out loud) what the purpose of MMX in DosBox would be other than to run those few titles? Emulating MMX would not make existing games any faster.

I think there are few games that offer additional functionality/graphics features on MMX CPUs.
-Extreme Assault (For bilinear additive explosion sprite filtering)

And various titles won't run without it, though mostly on Windows.
Windows Titles:
-Virtual On
-Rebel Moon
-Serious Sam

DOS Demoscene productions:
Dead Flowers by Haujobb

I'm guessing this list is not comprehensive.