VOGONS

Voodoo 1 CPU & VGA Limitations

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 46, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The p2 450 is still a 100mhz fsb cpu but i think it will work fine with a v1. (i only use mine with p1 systems but have worked great with 100mhz fsb k6-3+)

This 450 cpu will work fine with a v3 if you use it at 1024x768, at lower resolutions you are better off with a faster cpu that can make more use of the potential of the v3.

Imho the v3 is best when used with a 600-800mhz cpu (v3 3000). At this level, if you need a faster cpu you will also need a faster graphics card because the v3 will fall short also in games that need that much horsepower.

1ghz+ is for voodoo5 cards or maximizing maybe a v3 at 640x480....

Ti500 is a nice match for Tualatins or athlons around 1300mhz i guess.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 21 of 46, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, somehow I read the info on CPU World wrong and had the mistaken idea that the fastest 66mhz FSB CPU was a 450mhz deschutes P2. In truth, the fastest would be a 333mhz P2.

This brings me back to my original idea of using a P3 coppermine 850mhz CPU at 100mhz. If problems arise, would it be possible to underclock that CPU and PC100 RAM to 561mhz at 66mhz FSB using the BH6?

From what I've gathered, there is no way to unlock the P3 850 coppermine's multiplier. However, I should be able to underclock it by setting the FSB to 66mhz. In this fashion, I can run regularly at 850mhz and then underclock should I feel the need to use the Voodoo 1 card.

Edit:
meljor, I didn't see your post before writing the above. Thank you for your advice. I agree with you totally. In hindsight, it was probably a mistake to build my 1ghz NetVista with the Voodoo 3 3000. I should have used my Ti500 instead and paired it with a V2. If I ever manage to kill my ghetto-rific V3 in that system, I'll probably rebuild it with the Ti500.

I still maintain that the Voodoo 3 + Voodoo 1 in a P3 850mhz system seems optimal. It will outperform a V2 SLI setup while providing a greater level of overall compatibility. If I ever get around to finishing this system, I'll be sure to benchmark it as compared to my 1ghz coppermine. That is, unless Mau1wurf1977 beats me to it, and I think he's probably going to beat me to it.

Reply 22 of 46, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't wait to play with V3 for the first time in my life. Never had one so I'm uber excited 😀

With the V1 I'm more worried that such a fast CPU could break these old games. With Descent for example there is some mouse issue on faster machines. I can't remember if there was a workaround.

Under Windows, how would you switch between the V1 and V3? Let us say in an old game like G-Police or Turok?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 23 of 46, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KT7AGuy wrote:

Well, somehow I read the info on CPU World wrong and had the mistaken idea that the fastest 66mhz FSB CPU was a 450mhz deschutes P2. In truth, the fastest would be a 333mhz P2.

I would say that the fastest 66mhz FSB CPU was a 766mhz Celeron (Coppermine-128). Don't know if that would work on your BH6 board, though.

Reply 24 of 46, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Had a go at testing V1 on a fast machine.

On a Tualatin 1400 I can't get any game to run. I either get a weird screen with an image corruption (bunch of rectangles) or it crashes at the 3dfx logo. Machine hard locks.

I have more luck with a PIII Coppermine 500, but in two games I also get weird textures like this:

8b6QtQV.png

465YL7T.png

Also make sure to add the environment variable to disable V-sync.

This is on a totally different motherboard however, so that could be a factor. Will try my good old AOpen slot 1 board next...

My YouTube channel

Reply 25 of 46, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've used V1 on 440BX no problem, CPU used was P3-450 Katmai (FSB 100MHz). 😀
PCI speed shouldn't be affected by FSB either 66 or 100MHz (unless it's overclocked or non-standard and there's no option to lock PCI speed).

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 26 of 46, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea works fine on my AOpen Slot 1 board now. This is with a slow Pentium II 233 MHz though. Will check if a faster processor breaks things 😀

EDIT:

What driver is everyone using?

The latest reference driver for V1 seems to work well for me. When I use the Diamond driver it doesn't install the OpenGL driver for MDK2.

My YouTube channel

Reply 27 of 46, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok the display corruption is indeed processor related.

On a Pentium II 233: all good.

Pentium III 900: Display corruption in Incoming and Expendable.

Will try slower CPUs to try and find the limit.

EDIT: Results so far

PII 233: All good
Deschutes 400: All good
Katmai 500: Corruption in Incoming and Expendable
Coppermine 500: Corruption in Incoming and Expendable

Please note that not all games are displaying this behaviour. GLQuake seems fine.

It seems to me that somewhere between 400 and 500 MHz things get a little bit too fast for the Voodoo 1.

Any ideas?

My YouTube channel

Reply 28 of 46, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm I used the V1 mostly for DOS/early GLide games (didn't try Incoming, MDK2 etc) since I wasn't trying to do tests/benchmarks. It was with Diamond drivers IIRC. I even had both Diamond Monster 3D and DM3DII in the machine at one time, just for being goofy. 😁

Interesting results though. If you can set FSB in the BIOS, how about trying 5x90MHz (450MHz) with your Katmai, just for curiosity's sake? But watch for options to lock/keep PCI clock as close to normal (33MHz).

Sorry, typo edited.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 29 of 46, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found this reference to the same issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_Waxt8n3LM

There is one reply:

Igorsov1 year ago
For Voodoo 1 you want to stay under 450 MHz.

So I will do my V1 vs. V2 project with a Pentium II 400 MHz.

My YouTube channel

Reply 30 of 46, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This poster suggested 450MHz:

shspvr wrote:

When it come to old 3dfx Voodoo cards.
3Dfx Voodoo Graphics PCI You want low end 450Mhz P2 or 450Mhz P3 CPU.

CPU limited
Though 400 is alright too. 😀

Reply 31 of 46, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another thing worth mentioning. Incoming and Expendable are both from the same company: Rage. I couldn't see any glitches in other games with a fast P III.

My YouTube channel

Reply 32 of 46, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How about just excluding these titles for the V1 tests then?

Reply 33 of 46, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
archsan wrote:

How about just excluding these titles for the V1 tests then?

Because they benchmark fine (just look weird) and are error free on V2. It is possible that their game engine has an issue with processors that are too fast. Why the V2 isn't affected is beyond me however...

It seems that apart from Expendable, there was almost zero gain with a V1 going from 400 MHz to 900. V2 on the other hand benefited greatly.

My YouTube channel

Reply 34 of 46, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's possible that the reason for both the errors and the fact that the V1 isn't scaling past these processor speeds is due to some bits rolling over or "into" other parts of the card's memory.

Mau1wurf1977, can you confirm is this graphic glitch is still an issue if you use a slowdown app before launching the program?

Reply 35 of 46, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote:

Mau1wurf1977, can you confirm is this graphic glitch is still an issue if you use a slowdown app before launching the program?

I can test this. What should I use?

My YouTube channel

Reply 37 of 46, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote:

Have you actually tried this application or just searched it? Doesn't seem to work for Windows stuff, needs PIF files.

My YouTube channel