VOGONS

First post, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey all,

I'm trying to run Tomb Raider in 3dfx/Glide mode, but performance is abysmal. I remember that I played Tomb Raider some years ago at high cycle rates, and in an old thread from 2006, Great Hierophant says that "Tomb Raider is fluid at 25,000 cycles when in software mode it was choppy regardless of setting."

Now, on my system (Core i5), it runs fluid in SVGA (>100.000 cycles), but extremely choppy in 3dfx (6.000-15.000 cycles ingame, 2000 in start menu). I can't for the life of me figure out why that is. I'm using ykhwong's latest build, but also tried some of his older ones. I've also tried to copy the glide2x.ovl file to the game directory, but to no avail. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance, guys... 😀

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 3 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, back then in 2006 you used the glide wrapper. These days you haveby default the built in voodoo emulation in daum builds... And that is costly.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 12, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think that Tomb Raider does not run with Wrapper because of the static linked exe?

Btw, the last daum version from 2015 is broken here... it did not use the wrapper, even if set glide to true.

Reply 5 of 12, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

These days you haveby default the built in voodoo emulation in daum builds... And that is costly.

Thanks for the info. That certainly explains the issues I'm having. 😉
But it's a shame, really, that I get only 10% performance with the latest 2015 build compared to a build from 2006, which was based on Dosbox 0.65, IIRC. 3dfx/Glide used to speed Dosbox up, whereas now, it slows everything down to a crawl. 😕
Is there no way to use an old Glide wrapper? Or will I simply have to scan the internet for a 2006 Daum build?

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 6 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Look for the 2014 build of daum. The 2015 is broken in multiple ways.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

And don't use glide=emu, this is likely the slower all software glide emulation.

Reply 8 of 12, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is so weird... I've tried Dosbox-G, and it works - great performance (which is good news 😀 ). But the Daum builds seem to be fundamentally flawed. Even if I copy the Daum dosbox.exe into the Dosbox-G directory, so it's using the same files, it's still terribly slow. Damn, I'd really like to have access to the menu bar of the Daum builds, but one cannot have everything, right? 😉

Some curious things I've noticed:

Dosbox-G exe:
- 3dfx only works with glide=emu
- 3dfx splash screen is choppy, while
- Game menu and the game itself are running smooth as silk

Daum exe:
- 3dfx also works with glide=true, but only in its own install directory; when executed in the Dosbox-G dir, only glide=emu works
- 3dfx splash screen is super smooth, but
- game menu and the game itself are choppy as hell.

Ah well, I'll use Dosbox-G for now, too much bother trying to figure out what's broken in ykhwong's builds. Thanks for your help!

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 9 of 12, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sammy wrote:

I think that Tomb Raider does not run with Wrapper because of the static linked exe?

No, as Tomb Raider exists in nglide support list

Xelasarg wrote:

I'd really like to have access to the menu bar of the Daum builds

You may try to use nglide, the last 2014 version of Daum build, its configuration file and correct settings to activate the wrapper.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 10 of 12, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tomb Raider have two 3dfx executables. One (1114 kB) is statically linked, the other (874 kB) uses glide2x.ovl.
To use a wrapper (glide=true) you must use the second one.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 11 of 12, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try daum build from Jan 2014.
There should glide=true work. (uses wrapper)

copy the glide2x.ovl from the dosbox dir to the tomb-raider directory (where the 3dfx-tomb.exe is)
and delete glide2x.dll from dosbox directory.

Reply 12 of 12, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh man, I finally figured it out...
I was using output=ddraw and direct3d (both are incredibly slow in Daum), because opengl didn't work. But as it turns out, I had windowresolution set to custom size (1280x960), which breaks Glide along with opengl. Now, with windowresolution=original and output=opengl, I got the following result:

23272826si.jpg
(To be honest, 760.000 is a show-off value, in the menu, I even reached >1.000.000 cycles.
In open spaces filled with enemies, this value drops to 120.000, but that's terrific nonetheless 😁 ).

All the time, I thought my issue couldn't be output related, because Dosbox-G was running fast no matter which video system I chose. I was using ddraw and direct3d parameters for both Daum and Dosbox-G, and opengl wasn't working for me in Daum. The only one I didn't try was surface, because I never use it (no scalers etc).
But as it turns out (by taking a closer look at the console window), ddraw and direct3d are actually deactivated in Dosbox-G, and it switches to openglnb automatically if direct3d or ddraw are selected in dosbox.conf. When I set output=surface, both Daum and Dosbox-G run slow. Holy mother of crap... 😉

Anyway, thanks for all your help, guys! 😀

"What's a paladin?!"