VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 1483 of 3949, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lowenz wrote:

Dege, about the video scaling problem, you can take a look here: https://www.dxgl.info/Downloads (source)

Technically he cannot, DXGL is licensed GPL 2.1, while dgVoodoo2 is closed source. To actually use code from a GPL-licensed source in a closed-source project would be a license violation.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 1485 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:
lowenz wrote:

Dege, about the video scaling problem, you can take a look here: https://www.dxgl.info/Downloads (source)

Technically he cannot, DXGL is licensed GPL 2.1, while dgVoodoo2 is closed source. To actually use code from a GPL-licensed source in a closed-source project would be a license violation.

You're right! But maybe some form of "inspiration" for a workaround 😁

Reply 1486 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From what I read earlier it's not really a scaling problem, but a input handling one (if he scales the image, he'll also have to scale mouse input) and then I think DxWnd would be more interesting to look at. That's not released under any license though.

Off-topic, but DXGL just had another release that adds support for windows and borderless fullscreen which supposedly is better for dealing with GDI interaction.

Dege: have you considered adding an option for borderless fullscreen and an option for changing desktop resolution to match game resolution? That would probably work for AMD users, at the cost of more options you don't want.

Reply 1487 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote:

From what I read earlier it's not really a scaling problem, but a input handling one (if he scales the image, he'll also have to scale mouse input) and then I think DxWnd would be more interesting to look at. That's not released under any license though.

Off-topic, but DXGL just had another release that adds support for windows and borderless fullscreen which supposedly is better for dealing with GDI interaction.

Yes, stretching the output with proper aspect ratio itself is not a big deal: let's set the display to fullscreen in native resolution (it's the only one that can be trusted) and output the properly stretched image to that. dgVoodoo already has this cap inside but can't be reached through the setup.
It's the same, in the aspect of the image appearance, as if one overrides the display mode to 'stretched with aspect ratio' on the driver control panel.
However, in other respects, it's not the same at all.
For example, if a game sets its display mode to 640x480 then it expects that size of its window is 640x480 too, that's the area where the mouse can move (the side black bars are not even parts of the desktop since the scaling is done on the GPU).
But when the native resolution is used then its window has to be stretched to, say, 1920x1080 so the extent of mouse area stretched too, the cursor can even be moved to the blank areas.
So it all needs mouse emulation, scaling and excluding the cursor from the blank area. As for the perfect solution, it doesn't only mean overriding some mouse messages (altough it would sure work for most games) but some winapi hooking too (which can even conflict with the application). So I feel this solution is not a 'sterling one', not equivalent to GPU-scaling available on nVidias.

ZellSF wrote:

Dege: have you considered adding an option for borderless fullscreen

As for borderless fullscreen, I was planning it: once this native-resolution-fullscreen solution is available then the only difference between that and the borderless case is not switching to 'true fullscreen' through DXGI.

ZellSF wrote:

and an option for changing desktop resolution to match game resolution? That would probably work for AMD users, at the cost of more options you don't want.

Desktop resolution is already changed to game resolution. The problem is that if it doesn't match the native resolution of the monitor then its appearance is either stretched or centered (but logically it appears correctly as part of the desktop. On a two-monitor system, if you switch one display to say 800x600, and look at the display layout on the Windows system dialog on another monitor then you'll see that monitor area as 800x600. Shortly, a logical display layout and its appearance can be different).

Reply 1491 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Desktop resolution is already changed to game resolution. The problem is that if it doesn't match the native resolution of the monitor then its appearance is either stretched or centered (but logically it appears correctly as part of the desktop. On a two-monitor system, if you switch one display to say 800x600, and look at the display layout on the Windows system dialog on another monitor then you'll see that monitor area as 800x600. Shortly, a logical display layout and its appearance can be different).

What I mean is actually change desktop resolution from a non-D3D11 API and just render in a borderless window.

It's already possible to do this with dgVoodoo2, but requires external tools for both borderless and setting desktop resolution. A builtin option could be helpful to AMD users.

Reply 1493 of 3949, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Silanda wrote:

Just another quick report.

Tender Loving Care (Windows DVD-ROM version):
This FMV game does not work on Windows 10 (or 8 I'd assume) due to graphic corruption in the game sections. Those work dgVoodoo, however, the bulk of the video plays back using MCI I believe (and in a separate, overlayed window unless an option is changed in the game's ini), and just displays as a small white window. Would I be right in thinking that's due to the lack of GDI hooking?

Just going to follow up on this. The game does actually work with dgVoodoo, but with a couple of caveats: dgVoodoo doesn't seem to get along well with Windows 10's own MPEG 2 codec, in this game at least. Installing LAV filters gets around this problem as long as they're not set to use CUDA for decoding. Secondly, the game's .exe needs to either be hacked so that it ignores a particular error (when using LAV in combination with dgVoodoo the game complains about an MCI error to do with setting the MPEG time format), or the .exe from the CD version of the game needs to be used.

The only problem I've really encountered is that the game seems to be using the desktop resolution after playing a video sequence, therefore displaying in the wrong aspect ratio. This can be mitigated by switching the desktop to a 4:3 resolution.

Incidentally, the CD version works fine natively. I guess that the DVD version's method of displaying video clashes somehow with Windows 10's own implementation of Direct Draw.

And a couple of compatibility reports:

Resident Evil: Seems to switch to low resolution and doesn't render properly. Videos display a black screen.

Resident Evil 2: Renders fine in software mode except the videos display a black screen. Complains about Direct X initialisation failure if trying to play with a hardware mode.

Reply 1496 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lowenz wrote:
Windows 7 64 / Radeon HD 7850 / Catalyst 16.1 […]
Show full quote

Windows 7 64 / Radeon HD 7850 / Catalyst 16.1

Native MS D3D8: no problem
Commandos3_2016_01_08_23_44_55_128.png

dgVoodoo: some artifacts (1):
Commandos3_2016_01_08_23_42_14_681.jpg

And look at the brightness difference (it's the Normandy Campaign first mission intro sequence)

Up for this (and Steam Aquanox not working 😁 )

Reply 1497 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lowenz wrote:
Some problems with dgVoodoo and original renderer of UT and Unreal Gold (DirectDraw / D3D7? ), from Unreal Anthology (2006) + un […]
Show full quote

Some problems with dgVoodoo and original renderer of UT and Unreal Gold (DirectDraw / D3D7? ), from Unreal Anthology (2006) + unofficial patch ( http://ego-creations.de/scripts/download.php?DownID=26 )

Unreal:
Unreal.jpg

Post Scriptum: The "GeForce 4800" preset can run the game flyby (the infamous Nali Castle 😁 ) but it crashes loading a new map. With the other presets there's simply a crash at start.

Reply 1498 of 3949, by speeder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally decided to make an account...

I've been for a while trying to figure how to make SimCity 4 run decently on modern machines (not just mine, it would be great if I could help other people too!)

I gave dgVoodoo 2 a try, and it ALMOST works.

The almost part is for two reasons:

1) The more advanced fake 3D card is great to fix the nVidia Optimus bug (nVidia Optimus drivers have a bug where they report the wrong card to DDraw, one of the reasons SC4 break on modern laptops). But, it also passes completely crazy info (like device id 0, device name 0, and so on).

If you could configure this (ie: the values that the fake device pass, at least the device id and whatnot), it already would help a lot... I know the game can also emulate a nVidia and an ATI card, but those were not the most powerful cards the game could detect.

2) lots of Z fighting 🙁 although there are other graphical glithes (like completely black buildings, like if they weren't being rendered at all), the z fighting is too obvious, stuff flickers on and off existance, beaches crap out (as the game is unsure if the sand or the water renders on top) and you see in almost every road the cars rendering on top of the buildings, it is very surreal.

Fixing those 2 issues in particular would already help a lot I guess.

Reply 1499 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

EDIT: Worth noting this occurs both with and without D3DCompiler_43.dll.

Tested the DirectX 7-based Radeon's Ark tech demo v1.3, which won't run on my GeForce GTX 970 normally since it sees the OS doesn't report it as an ATI card, with dgVoodoo2 2.5. It runs so long as the videocard is set to "ATI Radeon 8500"...but then all but certain, seemingly-unlit textures are black.

Radeon%27sArk1.3_BlankTextures.png

I also see the following errors in the demo's error log:

; radiATIon Error Log
; Created Mon Feb 01 20:47:31 2016

Error finding starting portal for character "coral3"! Deleting object...
Error finding starting portal for character "rock1"! Deleting object...
Error finding starting portal for character "rock2"! Deleting object...
Error: Couldn't set current viewport to device in d3dViewport
; Exiting Mon Feb 01 20:47:47 2016