VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 1940 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dege, GREAT NEWS!

I tested dgVoodoo2 2.52 on a multi-gpu system: Win7 SP1 with a GeForce 960 and the CPU-integrated Intel HD4400 forced-active, with *ONLY* the first connected to the monitor but setting "extend the desktop" option for the second (in the same way used to activate QuickSync support in several video compression softwares -> https://mirillis.com/en/products/tutorials/ac … r_desktops.html )

Well, dgVoodoo2 can work with the iGPU (choosing it in the configurator) letting the dGPU connected! The game (Unreal, DDRAW->D3D11 feat. level 10.0) is correctly executed by the iGPU and the frames passed to the dGPU and then to the monitor!

IT'S AWESOME, man! But have you already tested this scenario (perfect for old games) or is it totally accidental?

Reply 1941 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Uhhmm, cool!! 😎

I didn't tested THIS scenario you mentioned however multi GPU/multimonitor support is not accidental, it was introduced in 2.45 for DX emulation and I continuously test it since then on a real multiGPU system with 2 monitors.
I suppose using the dGPU as an output is virtually the same (to dgVoodoo) as an ordinary monitor, so it's not so surprising if it works, in this respect. 😀

Reply 1942 of 3949, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Offtopic(without the wrapper), but i've noticed the Radeon GCN cards have better legacy D3D compatibility than the Radeon HD5-6 series with the recent crimson drivers, in Win7 at least. For two things, I can play an unpatched 1998-dated Blood 2 in 1920x1080x16 and can properly see the fog not covering everything in Episode I Racer.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1944 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

I can play an unpatched 1998-dated Blood 2 in 1920x1080x16

The bug in unpatched Blood2 executable is not driver-related. It's a buffer overrun bug on the stack, depending on the vertical resolution.
It allocates some kind of scanline data on the stack for 1000 lines in one of its functions.

Reply 1945 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About Blood 2, it *really* benefits from trilinear filter forcing with dgVoodoo2 😁
Ah, the power of memories 😁

Blood 2 (with Res Patch) + dgVoodoo2 + Trilinear + AF 16x + MSAA 4x (original resolution 1920x1080): you can see the perfectly filtered terrain

https://youtu.be/U99nk1dsijw

Reply 1949 of 3949, by sam767

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did anyone managed to run Jane's Longbow Gold from (Anthology version) under Windows 7 x64 Dgvoodoo 2.5 ?
game almost run , i did patched GoldFX
the two intro video worked , However the game crashed when i click on Tutorial (walk around) with message DDInit failed!
any help please ?

Reply 1950 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quick reply: thx for the reports, Guys!

I'm going to release a new WIP soon, but now, I've been kinda busy with tying up loose ends on resolution overriding for DX emulation.
(The code was already more or less ready for that feature so I decided to finish it.)

There are some cases where it doesn't work (well) (8-bit ddraw stuffs) or causes serious glitches (software mouse cursors in some game) but otherwise it's quite good so far.
I mostly tried it on some demos fixed to 640x480, they looked beautifully in high resolutions with MSAA. 😁

Reply 1953 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found a problem with Jedi Knight and v2.51. When you untick "Disable Alt-Enter" the game will either crash immediately you press Esc to go from 3D mode to the menu or it will crash when you press Esc after using Alt-Enter.
This seems to happen with or without the -"windowgui" switch.

v2.45 still works fine. I didn't test 2.5.

Reply 1955 of 3949, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lowenz wrote:

HG1 too, but only in centered mode (with Stretched with fixed AR the cursor goes mad, but hey, it's a miracle to see HG1 working today! 😁 Mech 2 Merc technology!)

It works but i have three problems.

Blue screen on videos. SMK videos (background stuff, hud interactive animations and so on) works but intro and other cgis dont. They are Intel Indeo video and it plays fine with LAV filters, i dont understand where is the problem. I have tried the latest beta with DirectShow support, no change.
DP.DLL Error (Bug Negative Threads) at the beginning. Not a big deal since you can accept it and continue with the game.
Game goes to Windows while changing DirectDraw screens to Direct3D5 engine, even with software. You have to enter the game again.

Windows 10 64-bit.

This game have the worst control configuration screen ever seen 😵

Reply 1956 of 3949, by Tarvis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it possible for the emulated cursor in stretched mode to update independent of the game's framerate/screen draws?

In Jedi Knight in particular, the menu only redraws if something changes (e.g. another menu option is moused over) so the cursor in the stretched mode only updates during then, effectively meaning you don't see the cursor move.

I understand if it can't be done, it's just that Jedi Knight is one of those games that could really use the stretched modes to avoid the resolution changing every time the menu is opened, and the stretched mode works fine save for that issue

I also noticed that Steam recently updated the game, and whatever it did uses some kind of alternate method for drawing the menu screens, one which DgVoodoo doesn't emulate. (meaning scaling, windowed modes, resolution forcing, watermark, etc don't have any effect until getting into a level) I can upload the exe if you want to take a look at it (I don't think it requires Steam running)

Even more of a longshot, do you think there will ever be a custom framerate cap option? Perhaps specifying an FPS for Vsync? Reason is Jedi Knight's optimal fps is 47, anything higher causes the game to cap itself to 30fps. I can use a modified Aqrit's ddwrapper which loads DgVoodoo's ddraw to do the same effect, but it would be nice to have it all in one place.

teleguy wrote:

Found a problem with Jedi Knight and v2.51. When you untick "Disable Alt-Enter" the game will either crash immediately you press Esc to go from 3D mode to the menu or it will crash when you press Esc after using Alt-Enter.

I find the "Backbuffer in system memory" option in Jedi Knight tends to cause crashes going to the Esc menu and back, try turning it off

Reply 1957 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tarvis wrote:
teleguy wrote:

I find the "Backbuffer in system memory" option in Jedi Knight tends to cause crashes going to the Esc menu and back, try turning it off

That was turned off.

The fault module is dxgi.dll btw.