VOGONS

First post, by kiwa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

anyone can help me with this? i found my old Disney sound source device, only the actual dac part, not the speaker part. for what i have found online i could use 3 pins to connect this to a amp, 5v and gnd. but i don't know with cable does what.

Covox-large.jpg

Anyone have any information about this?

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, that's simple (in theory). Just get a datasheet of the DAC and follow the traces. 😉
If you have got an ohm meter or a multi meter, you can also check which trace or wire has contact with the IC's power pin.
Normally, red an black should be for plus and minus. And yellow/green for the amp/speaker part.
But I'm speaking under correction. I don't own a Speech Thing myself and so this just pure guessing.
So it's probably better to wait until a Speech Thing owner will answer you question.
And I also think it's better to try with passive head phones first, before connecting a speaker or an amp - sometimes the power of such a DAC is sufficient to drive sensitive head phones (depending on the impedance and other factors of the DAC and the head phones).

Good luck! 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

there is more to it in the Disney Sound Source speaker part as it is self-powered with a 9v battery:

Tz8KDRh.jpg

4l7y6gz.jpg

I'd say your best bet is to use a multimeter to isolate the 5v wire and not use it at all. Then attach a passive speaker/headphones and try to find the pair that carries the audio. If you need to build an amp then use an external power source like the original design, over-drawing current from the LPT is not a good idea...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 6, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The whole Sound Source, parallel port dongle and speaker, is powered by the battery. The four lines represent power, GND, audio out and status LED. The parallel port was not intended to provide a source of current. The schematic in the Sound Source Programmer's Guide would confirm this. One thing the schematic does not tell you is whether the power to the IC is +5v or +9v.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 4 of 6, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Rail voltage should be discernible by pulling a spec sheet for the IC, so that shouldn't pose a challenge.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 6, by kiwa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the info everyone!, i can't find the datasheet, probably because is some random custom part from that time, i did found the programmer guide, that says that there are 4 pins in the cable and gave me the same info that keropi said, power, gnd, sound and "Power Control" that turns on the amplifier.

keropi wrote:
there is more to it in the Disney Sound Source speaker part as it is self-powered with a 9v battery: […]
Show full quote

there is more to it in the Disney Sound Source speaker part as it is self-powered with a 9v battery:

Tz8KDRh.jpg

4l7y6gz.jpg

I'd say your best bet is to use a multimeter to isolate the 5v wire and not use it at all. Then attach a passive speaker/headphones and try to find the pair that carries the audio. If you need to build an amp then use an external power source like the original design, over-drawing current from the LPT is not a good idea...

I think i can do something with the photos! thanks!