VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 2520 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just tested AIM 2 (forgot to mention last time it's the Steam version) with WIP26, default settings, with the same problem as before. I feel I can't stress enough it looks like the game uses both DirectX 7 (maybe lower) and DirectX 8.

For visual reference, here's what the game should look like at the main menu:
s!An2E1T9BjROMhxRb0hvvCGOSj6ba

Instead, this is what the game looks like with dgVoodoo 2 WIP26:
s!An2E1T9BjROMhxWCRrDrnnTj1fvs

Reply 2521 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:
OK, here is the new WIP but it doesn't contain everything I wanted to do: […]
Show full quote

OK, here is the new WIP but it doesn't contain everything I wanted to do:

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP26.zip

- The setup app is now per-monitor DPI-aware for sharp appearance
- Some games were broken due to the new vertex-buffering algorythm, fixed
- Some D3D bugs are fixed:
* reflection vector calculation in fixed function vertex pipeline
* interpreting ps1.x instruction pairing in some cases, fixed
* other small pixel shading incompatibilities are fixed
- Some D3D8 bugs are also fixed (I was an Atomic Mutant, Giants, Silent Hill 3, Postal 2)

Sorry for still not responding to private messages (and others), I will.

Finally I was managed to reproduce the mipmapping bug in PSOBB.
According to the logs coning from dgVoodoo and native DX8, this game utilizes one of the internal MS DX8 behavior/trait for texture data uploading (non-standard driving the D3D8 API).
It isn't currently compatible with dgVoodoo (can even cause crash!), but I think I understand what the game does.
However, I don't want to include the "fix" in the next version because it'd involve refactoring some code, what'd endanger stabitilty.

Thanks man!
Will test!

Reply 2527 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Expack3 wrote:
Just tested AIM 2 (forgot to mention last time it's the Steam version) with WIP26, default settings, with the same problem as be […]
Show full quote

Just tested AIM 2 (forgot to mention last time it's the Steam version) with WIP26, default settings, with the same problem as before. I feel I can't stress enough it looks like the game uses both DirectX 7 (maybe lower) and DirectX 8.

For visual reference, here's what the game should look like at the main menu:
s!An2E1T9BjROMhxRb0hvvCGOSj6ba

Instead, this is what the game looks like with dgVoodoo 2 WIP26:
s!An2E1T9BjROMhxWCRrDrnnTj1fvs

Menu screen is corrupt because of a problem when loading .dds surfaces through into D3D8.
It's fixed, but indeed, the game uses D3D8 for menus and DDraw/D3D for ingame and that part doesn't show up.

I can't fix it in the next version. 🙁
Shared devices/surfaces between different type of D3D components has been amongst my plans but I'd never thought (so far) that something would need them.

lowenz wrote:

Thanks dege! What was the cause of the problem (AF not applied)?

I don't really know, maybe the game(s) in question check for the capability flags of anisotropic tex filtering and those weren't exposed through dgVoodoo.

----

I'm going to examine some other reported issues but regarding any new report, they will be omitted till the next version (otherwise I'll never release a new one 😀 ).
Then, I also start re-testing the wrapper with the existing test base.

Reply 2529 of 3949, by Question

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried version 2.52 with mechwarrior 2 mercenaries titanium installed through mechvm. I copied over the 3 dlls into the game folder, set the game to run in 3dfx mode and used mostly default settings in the setup file except that the 3dfx watermark is unticked.

Everything works fine, until i enter a mission. The 3dfx watermark is always displayed in the bottom right corner of the screen even though i have it unchecked in the setup file. The game will also crash everytime i exit a mission with the error saying that the game is trying to shut down from an unexpected fault.

I tried the game with nglide 1.05, and it won't crash 100% of the time when exiting a mission, but has a high tedency to do so shortly afterwards when switching menus. nglide also has an issue where the screen will keep flickering (going black for a split second) in missions at random intervals, and after playing a mission, the game's colors will turn rainbow and distorted.

I already have desktop composition and visual themes disabled, the game running in win95 compatability mode and 256 colors.

System is win 7 64 bit.

Why is dgvoodoo causing the game to crash all the time when exiting a mission, while nglide only does it some of the time?

Reply 2530 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd like to check out two reported games:

- Jane's F-15

1. problem: switches back to windowed mode at startup; the game places an EditText window over the DX one so DXGI watchdog thread throws it back to windowed mode - it could be solved by fake fullscreen which is not yet supported by dgVoodoo.
2. problem: mouse offset at menu screens: windowed mode isn't guaranteed to work perfectly with all games (I think the game assumes its window at position (0,0) on the desktop); can't it be forced back to fullscreen manually (Alt-Enter)?
3. rendering issues ingame: would be nice to fix them

Unfortunately I can only try the demo of this game which freezes before the menu screen on Win10. I'll check it on Win7 too.

- The Red Odyssey

I have problems installing it. On Win7, installer of BattleZone gets stuck for me, so I installed it all in a virtual machine (XP), and the game seems to run fine inside it (sw rendering).
However when I copied the registry keys into Win7 that the installer wrote into the registry, Red Odyssey still sees BattleZone uninstalled. I still couldn't figure out what I missed.

Question wrote:
I tried version 2.52 with mechwarrior 2 mercenaries titanium installed through mechvm. I copied over the 3 dlls into the game fo […]
Show full quote

I tried version 2.52 with mechwarrior 2 mercenaries titanium installed through mechvm. I copied over the 3 dlls into the game folder, set the game to run in 3dfx mode and used mostly default settings in the setup file except that the 3dfx watermark is unticked.

Everything works fine, until i enter a mission. The 3dfx watermark is always displayed in the bottom right corner of the screen even though i have it unchecked in the setup file. The game will also crash everytime i exit a mission with the error saying that the game is trying to shut down from an unexpected fault.

I tried the game with nglide 1.05, and it won't crash 100% of the time when exiting a mission, but has a high tedency to do so shortly afterwards when switching menus. nglide also has an issue where the screen will keep flickering (going black for a split second) in missions at random intervals, and after playing a mission, the game's colors will turn rainbow and distorted.

I already have desktop composition and visual themes disabled, the game running in win95 compatability mode and 256 colors.

System is win 7 64 bit.

Why is dgvoodoo causing the game to crash all the time when exiting a mission, while nglide only does it some of the time?

I cannot tell what the problem is, I should check it myself. Isn't it a threading thing maybe (setting the affinity of the game to one processor)?

Edit: "Red Odyssey still sees BattleZone uninstalled"

Last edited by Dege on 2016-09-01, 13:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2531 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:
Heavy Gear 2 is working but the graphics menu got this corrupted screen (the game is working fine, the problem is only related t […]
Show full quote

Heavy Gear 2 is working but the graphics menu got this corrupted screen (the game is working fine, the problem is only related to graphic options screen)

Heavy_Gear_2_2016_08_30_03_22_08_547.png

Is this a regression bug? Or, the game is GoG/Steam?
HG2 works fine for me with the latest WIP.

Reply 2533 of 3949, by Vivien

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

-The Red Odyssey

I have problems installing it. On Win7, installer of BattleZone gets stuck for me, so I installed it all in a virtual machine (XP), and the game seems to run fine inside it (sw rendering).
However when I copied the registry keys into Win7 that the installer wrote into the registry, Red Odyssey still sees BattleZone uninstalled. I still couldn't figure out what I missed.

Odd. I just uninstalled and reinstalled from the original CDs and both the Battlezone and Red Odyssey installers work fine on my Win 7 64-bit machine. The BZ setup.exe is dated 1998-01-28.

Are you using a demo version or the original CD?

Edit: Where does it get stuck? There is a radio news report that plays during the installation. It should be possible to simply click past it, but perhaps it needs to complete?

Reply 2535 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deadalus wrote:

Stunt GP - Rendering issues in D3D mode. Glide works fine.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but what OS are you using? Neither D3D nor Glide mode works at all here on Win10 64 bit.

Works fine here (Win10 64-bit). Maybe copy protection, try finding a crack.

Anyway, some screenshots, first off Z Steel Soldiers which isn't drawing the ground letting us see the skybox instead:

z2_2016_09_03_09_29_19_059.png
Filename
z2_2016_09_03_09_29_19_059.png
File size
455.72 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Second we have Stunt GP which looks to have some palette corruption issue?:

StuntGP_D3D_2016_09_03_08_53_05_258.png
Filename
StuntGP_D3D_2016_09_03_08_53_05_258.png
File size
495.79 KiB
Views
File license

Finally The Creed, which has some texture corruption problem, look at the two white and blue police cars at the bottom:

Creed_2016_09_03_09_16_08_646.png
Filename
Creed_2016_09_03_09_16_08_646.png
File size
166.13 KiB
Views
File license

Just in case any of the screenshots makes you go "oh I know what that is". For The Creed, maybe gho's comments are helpful:
https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discussion/ge … hread/e9e923db/

Reply 2536 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey Dege, any luck with SC1 shiny texture bug?

I have seen something strange with the options inside the SC1 game.
If i go to the Video options inside the game i can only see the video option up to medium preset. I have tested with GF4 and i can see High and Very High options when using buffer mode.

Is it a bug? If i/can use the ini from the GF4 machine and play without any change, will the game use the High and very High preset? Or the game will use whatever it thinks it can handle?

I'm afraid we limit the details because of the above issue.

Reply 2537 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
daniel_u wrote:
I have seen something strange with the options inside the SC1 game. If i go to the Video options inside the game i can only see […]
Show full quote

If i go to the Video options inside the game i can only see the video option up to medium preset. I have tested with GF4 and i can see High and Very High options when using buffer mode.

Is it a bug? If i/can use the ini from the GF4 machine and play without any change, will the game use the High and very High preset? Or the game will use whatever it thinks it can handle?

As an experienced beta-tester, and having tinkered with SC1 myself (in a non-programming capacity), play around with the INI settings and see. Also, make sure that 1) you're using the dgVoodoo2 Accelerated 3D Card and not the emulated ATI card, and 2) ensure the emulated card has at least 256 MB of VRAM or more since that's how much is required to unlock the Very High presets, GF4 or not.

Reply 2538 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Expack3 wrote:
daniel_u wrote:
I have seen something strange with the options inside the SC1 game. If i go to the Video options inside the game i can only see […]
Show full quote

As an experienced beta-tester, and having tinkered with SC1 myself (in a non-programming capacity), play around with the INI settings and see. Also, make sure that 1) you're using the dgVoodoo2 Accelerated 3D Card and not the emulated ATI card, and 2) ensure the emulated card has at least 256 MB of VRAM or more since that's how much is required to unlock the Very High presets, GF4 or not.

I already tried. The same. 🙁

Reply 2539 of 3949, by De-M-oN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
De-M-oN wrote:
any idea why every game is forced vsync on? dgvoodoo has it off, graphics driver has it forced off, still forced vsync for NFS 4 […]
Show full quote

any idea why every game is forced vsync on?
dgvoodoo has it off, graphics driver has it forced off, still forced vsync for NFS 4, NFS 2 SE and every other game is vsynched.

NFS 4 doesnt force to use vsync though. It has just a framelimiter of 64 while driving. ESC menu is uncapped, main menu I remember being uncapped too.
NFS 2 was completely uncapped, even ingame.

Why is now every game with glide forced to use vsync now? And nGlide has the same problem. What is going on here?

Any word on this??

This happens for Glide. I tried NFS 2 non-SE with DirectX8 and there it was uncapped.