VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 2540 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I intend this WIP to be the last before the next version.
I'm going to start extensive testing and if no regression bug(s) found or reported then I release it as the new version.

What I changed:

- Some D3D8 bugs fixed (Z Steel soldiers, AIM2)
- A general bug from code refactoring is fixed (can cause crash at startup or exit in some app)
- Some general and D3D5 bug is fixed (Stunt GP, The Creed)
- Revised the readme content and converted from txt to html
- Introduced option 'No filtering' for DX
- Config changes:
- MSAA option 'Auto' is renamed to 'App driven' and made to be the default instead of 'Off'
- Option 'Capture mouse' is enabled by default (not yet sure if it's a good idea, I revert it)

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP27.zip

daniel_u wrote:
Hey Dege, any luck with SC1 shiny texture bug? […]
Show full quote

Hey Dege, any luck with SC1 shiny texture bug?

I have seen something strange with the options inside the SC1 game.
If i go to the Video options inside the game i can only see the video option up to medium preset. I have tested with GF4 and i can see High and Very High options when using buffer mode.

Is it a bug? If i/can use the ini from the GF4 machine and play without any change, will the game use the High and very High preset? Or the game will use whatever it thinks it can handle?

I'm afraid we limit the details because of the above issue.

Maybe some day I figure it out as I did with shadow buffering... 😐
However, I checked this option issue but found nothing... 'High' and 'Very high' is available for me from main menu and ingame too, and seems to be working, even with 64MB of emulated VRAM.

ZellSF wrote:
Works fine here (Win10 64-bit). Maybe copy protection, try finding a crack. […]
Show full quote
Deadalus wrote:

Stunt GP - Rendering issues in D3D mode. Glide works fine.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but what OS are you using? Neither D3D nor Glide mode works at all here on Win10 64 bit.

Works fine here (Win10 64-bit). Maybe copy protection, try finding a crack.

Anyway, some screenshots, first off Z Steel Soldiers which isn't drawing the ground letting us see the skybox instead:

z2_2016_09_03_09_29_19_059.png

Second we have Stunt GP which looks to have some palette corruption issue?:

StuntGP_D3D_2016_09_03_08_53_05_258.png

Finally The Creed, which has some texture corruption problem, look at the two white and blue police cars at the bottom:

Creed_2016_09_03_09_16_08_646.png

Just in case any of the screenshots makes you go "oh I know what that is". For The Creed, maybe gho's comments are helpful:
https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discussion/ge … hread/e9e923db/

Fixed, thanks.
StuntGP worked for me out of the box on both Win7 and Win10.

Vivien wrote:
Odd. I just uninstalled and reinstalled from the original CDs and both the Battlezone and Red Odyssey installers work fine on my […]
Show full quote
Dege wrote:

-The Red Odyssey

I have problems installing it. On Win7, installer of BattleZone gets stuck for me, so I installed it all in a virtual machine (XP), and the game seems to run fine inside it (sw rendering).
However when I copied the registry keys into Win7 that the installer wrote into the registry, Red Odyssey still sees BattleZone uninstalled. I still couldn't figure out what I missed.

Odd. I just uninstalled and reinstalled from the original CDs and both the Battlezone and Red Odyssey installers work fine on my Win 7 64-bit machine. The BZ setup.exe is dated 1998-01-28.

Are you using a demo version or the original CD?

Edit: Where does it get stuck? There is a radio news report that plays during the installation. It should be possible to simply click past it, but perhaps it needs to complete?

Uhmm, it's just the usual for me: InstallShield sends a broadcast message at startup to all app windows with infinite timeout, and something (an app) doesn't pump its message queue to respond, so InstallShield gets stuck (congratulation goes to the...). I just can't figure it out what it can be as I don't have any special app or pre-installed crap on my computers. Others reported that Logitech mouse can cause this but for me, it's definitely not the case.
Anyway, I was managed to install Red Odyssey on a 3rd computer with Win7 x64 and importing the reg keys from there seems to work.
I checked it, and indeed main menu is rendered in windowed mode (must be a real window placed over the DX one which isn't compatible with DXGI), but the game is usable. I can enter a mission, in true fullscreen, as you wrote, and going back to main menu is not a problem. Saving/loading works. I'll check it on Win10 tomorrow.
I installed BattleZone, then Patch 1.4 and Red Odyssey itself.

De-M-oN wrote:
De-M-oN wrote:
any idea why every game is forced vsync on? dgvoodoo has it off, graphics driver has it forced off, still forced vsync for NFS 4 […]
Show full quote

any idea why every game is forced vsync on?
dgvoodoo has it off, graphics driver has it forced off, still forced vsync for NFS 4, NFS 2 SE and every other game is vsynched.

NFS 4 doesnt force to use vsync though. It has just a framelimiter of 64 while driving. ESC menu is uncapped, main menu I remember being uncapped too.
NFS 2 was completely uncapped, even ingame.

Why is now every game with glide forced to use vsync now? And nGlide has the same problem. What is going on here?

Any word on this??

This happens for Glide. I tried NFS 2 non-SE with DirectX8 and there it was uncapped.

That's weird. If it happens with nglide too then it must be some global setting somewhere.
What about other, non wrapped games?

---

Edit: new WIP version doesn't read the old config files with version 2.53 from previous WIPs. Sorry for the inconvenience....

Reply 2542 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
daniel_u wrote:
daniel_u wrote: Hey Dege, any luck with SC1 shiny texture bug? […]
Show full quote

daniel_u wrote:
Hey Dege, any luck with SC1 shiny texture bug?

I have seen something strange with the options inside the SC1 game.
If i go to the Video options inside the game i can only see the video option up to medium preset. I have tested with GF4 and i can see High and Very High options when using buffer mode.

Is it a bug? If i/can use the ini from the GF4 machine and play without any change, will the game use the High and very High preset? Or the game will use whatever it thinks it can handle?

I'm afraid we limit the details because of the above issue.

Maybe some day I figure it out as I did with shadow buffering... 😐
However, I checked this option issue but found nothing... 'High' and 'Very high' is available for me from main menu and ingame too, and seems to be working, even with 64MB of emulated VRAM.

Hope so. It would be great to have a issue free SC.

I reinstalled the game all seems ok now. It seems my configs were broken somehow. Thanks.

Reply 2543 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:

Capture mouse ON by default is a good idea in centered/stretched 4:3 games.
And the option in the configurator? It is wrong now :p

Hmm, yes, I just wanted to change 'capture mouse' to enabled...
Now I really changed but it only affects the default config, not the already saved ones.

The Red Odyssey work the same on Win10 for me.

Also, I forgot one change to mention in the WIP:

- Since 'Unspecified' scaling mode is the recommended one, dynamic resolution calculation is now also affecgts this mode, and modified to behavior in the same way as 'Centered'

Reply 2547 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lowenz wrote:

MXAO for Ambient Occlusion is perfectly working too 😄

Off topic but what's the point of adding AO to a game that is already dark. ? 😀

While AF working, would be nice i would love more to see the color of the light fixed one day. .(yes, this is a subtle reminder..🤣). For me is ruining the gameplay.

Reply 2549 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:
When you have some time, try to solve this :D […]
Show full quote

When you have some time, try to solve this 😁

White shadows in Sacred:
sacred_2016_09_06_11_42_36_364.png

Does the repro need a special version of game patch, or a given location at some level?
From a quick try, shadows are perfect for me, no white parts and they're paling with distance.

Reply 2551 of 3949, by Vivien

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

Anyway, I was managed to install Red Odyssey on a 3rd computer with Win7 x64 and importing the reg keys from there seems to work.
I checked it, and indeed main menu is rendered in windowed mode (must be a real window placed over the DX one which isn't compatible with DXGI), but the game is usable. I can enter a mission, in true fullscreen, as you wrote, and going back to main menu is not a problem. Saving/loading works. I'll check it on Win10 tomorrow.

Just checking: Saving/Loading works in hardware mode (3D card on) at resolutions higher than 640x480?

Reply 2552 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just tested Space Rangers 2: Reboot with dgVoodoo2 WIP 27, which also uses both DX7 and DX8, and it won't even show the menu, just the cursor, if I use all the dgVoodoo2 DX DLLs. DX8 only just causes the game to crash outright; DX7 works fine...though the RTS battles require DX8. I've attached logs which show the game's error output when using "All DX" (both the DX7 and DX8 dgVoodoo2 DLLs) and DX8 only.

Attachments

• Filename
    06092016_AllDX.log
    File size
    17.98 KiB
    Downloads
    72 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    06092016_DX8only.log
    File size
    13.67 KiB
    Downloads
    71 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2553 of 3949, by UltimaPlayer12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, so I'm trying to play Shogo: MAD from GOG with dgVoodoo 2 (latest build) and I am experiencing an issue where no matter what resolution I play at, I either get a flickering mouse cursor or a cursor locked to the center of my screen. I've been playing with it over a couple of hours now and can't get it to work with the cursor being hidden. This isn't going to stop me from playing the game, but it would be nice if anyone here could help me with a solution? If one was posted earlier, I'm sorry, there was a ton to read here and I didn't exactly look through it all, just did some quick searches to see if there were any fixes. I tried with and without Vsync to no avail.

The Beast 2.0:
CPU: AMD K6-III 450MHz GPU: Nvidia FX 5600 128MB HDD: 20GB (Seagate?) Mobo: ASUS P5A-B RAM: 512MB Sound Card: SB 16 PnP ISA OS: Windows 98 SE

Reply 2555 of 3949, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lowenz wrote:

Ah Dege, maybe it's a good thing to update the first post (with some new images too 😁 )

The first post in the thread? The first post in the thread was not posted by Dege but by robertmo.

...This can be changed so long as robertmo doesn't mind...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2556 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:

🤣, found the culprit!

It's the 32bit depth option in configurator......can you investigate why?

Yes, I think I found it.

Vivien wrote:
Dege wrote:

Just checking: Saving/Loading works in hardware mode (3D card on) at resolutions higher than 640x480?

Hmm... no...
You're right, at larger resolutions the menu window become inresponsive.
I played the game at resolution 640x480 upscaled to higher ones through dgVoodoo. I'm not sure if I can do anything to fix it in the next version. But at least, at forced resolutions it's usable for the time being.

Expack3 wrote:

Just tested Space Rangers 2: Reboot with dgVoodoo2 WIP 27, which also uses both DX7 and DX8, and it won't even show the menu, just the cursor, if I use all the dgVoodoo2 DX DLLs. DX8 only just causes the game to crash outright; DX7 works fine...though the RTS battles require DX8. I've attached logs which show the game's error output when using "All DX" (both the DX7 and DX8 dgVoodoo2 DLLs) and DX8 only.

I cannot even get through the main menu, and even it's appearance is distorted.
I debugged it and revealed that this game mixes DX7 and DX8 unabashedly which causes all this. It will need feature 'shared devices', to fix it.

UltimaPlayer12 wrote:

Hey guys, so I'm trying to play Shogo: MAD from GOG with dgVoodoo 2 (latest build) and I am experiencing an issue where no matter what resolution I play at, I either get a flickering mouse cursor or a cursor locked to the center of my screen. I've been playing with it over a couple of hours now and can't get it to work with the cursor being hidden. This isn't going to stop me from playing the game, but it would be nice if anyone here could help me with a solution? If one was posted earlier, I'm sorry, there was a ton to read here and I didn't exactly look through it all, just did some quick searches to see if there were any fixes. I tried with and without Vsync to no avail.

Does this happen with 'Stretched with AR' scaling mode? Typical symptom of that. But I'm going to re-test it all.

Stiletto wrote:
lowenz wrote:

Ah Dege, maybe it's a good thing to update the first post (with some new images too 😁 )

The first post in the thread? The first post in the thread was not posted by Dege but by robertmo.

...This can be changed so long as robertmo doesn't mind...

Yes, what post do you think about?

Reply 2558 of 3949, by UltimaPlayer12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

Does this happen with 'Stretched with AR' scaling mode? Typical symptom of that. But I'm going to re-test it all.

Yeah it seems to happen with any scaling mode, I have the cursor staying (mostly) invisible now but it flickers on once in a while. The game is playable, but that tidbit is a little annoying! This software is excellent though, seriously appreciative of the work on it!

The Beast 2.0:
CPU: AMD K6-III 450MHz GPU: Nvidia FX 5600 128MB HDD: 20GB (Seagate?) Mobo: ASUS P5A-B RAM: 512MB Sound Card: SB 16 PnP ISA OS: Windows 98 SE

Reply 2559 of 3949, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lowenz wrote:

The first!

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

It badly needs an update 😁

I dunno. Most threads on VOGONS are NOT "first post is main post which is updated by the original poster", they're more like discussions. But I'll change this thread if Dege wants it and robertmo allows it 😉

Next you'll be asking to mark threads as "SOLVED" 🤣 😜

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto