VOGONS

First post, by dosfriend

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My 5x86 133 machine was working great and stable until I've decided to give the talkie version of Day of the tentacle a try.

It will freeze randomly at some point while playing but the music will continue playing until I reboot. Maybe is sound related because it seems that if I disable speech the freeze doesn't happen. I am using a CT1600.
Tried to disable CPU cache without any improvement. There were 2 patches for the game on Lucas FTP but they don't fix this issue. Also copied the CD monster.sou to HD but it doesn't matter from where I run it, will freeze while playing the intro or game.

Other Lucas talkies work fine on this machine, like Sam&max, Atlantis or unofficial talkie Monkey 1 & 2.

I am out of ideas about what could be causing this and will appreciate any comments 😀

Reply 2 of 8, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's EMS related. I had the NOEMS parameter set up for EMM386 (in config.sys). Removing it solved the problem. My version of the game also warns me "EMS memory under 2mb".

Reply 3 of 8, by dosfriend

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your reply 😀
Have EMS memory enabled but just tried with NOEMS parameter. It certainly needs EMS because it complains with the message you pointed out. I am running DOS 7 with EMM386 & HIMEM.
Crashes with EMS and without, as long as I keep the speech enabled.

Reply 4 of 8, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DoTT seems to access IRQ 7 independently of what you have set. I had the effect that when I had a Soundblaster at IRQ 5 and GUS at 7 the game froze. When I left the GUS uninitialized then it worked fine. DoTT setup was se to IRQ 5...

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 5 of 8, by dosfriend

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You are right, DOTT seems to access IRQ 7 somehow even if it's set to 5 on setup or by command argument.
Even leaving GUS uninitialized the freeze will come sooner or later in the game 🙁

Reply 7 of 8, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Newer SBs and the GUS is software configurable, so IRQ can be changed on the fly...

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 8 of 8, by leolobato

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know this is an old post, but it's the first one on Google searching for DOTT freeze. The issue was the CTMOUSE version.

Because of this other thread (Monkey Island 1 Ultimate Talkie freezes during speech ), I've reverted to CTMOUSE 2.04A and the problem is now fixed.