VOGONS

Reply 20 of 31, by DeltaK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote:

The 2MB trick may be a possiblility for the wrapper now. Edit the OpenGLid.INI file and change the texture memory setting from 16 to 2. It will cause it run a bit more lumpy, and it may not cure the texture drop out, but its worth a go.

Ok, after some quick spotchecks:

2 mb: No corruption; fps too low
4 mb: No corruption; fps resonable
6 mb: Corruption, but dissappearing; fps resonable
8 mb: Corruption; fps resonable

More testing tomorrow, it 01:00h a.m. cet. 😉

Reply 21 of 31, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DeltaK wrote:
Ok, after some quick spotchecks: […]
Show full quote

Ok, after some quick spotchecks:

2 mb: No corruption; fps too low
4 mb: No corruption; fps resonable
6 mb: Corruption, but dissappearing; fps resonable
8 mb: Corruption; fps resonable

More testing tomorrow, it 01:00h a.m. cet. 😉

Interesting!

FPS no better than reasonable on any test? Has performance worsened, or is reasonable as good as it has ever been?

Reply 23 of 31, by DeltaK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote:

Oh, and is this the latest version v007b2 released on 13/10/2002?

Sorry for not being precise enough, but it was late last night! 😀

My specs are: AMD 1,4; 512mb RAM; Geforce 2-MX 400; DirectX 8.1; Detonator Drivers 30.88; Wrapper version v007b2-13/10/02

Patches loaded were: Western Front Patch +WFPDK add on and the PL-Superpatch.

Based on the posted versions, I have the impression that the latest version is faster by about 5-10 fps depending on texture load. It spreads between 15 and 50; most of the time between 30 and 40.

However my rating is rather based on minimum fps than on maximum performance.

too slow: game slows dowm below 15 fps regularly

slow: game slows dowm below 24 fps regularly

resonable: game in general runs at 24+ (movie-fps); occasional slowdowns to 15 are tolerated.

good: always 24+

excellent: always 30+

My test mission is a balloon attack with 5 Dr 1 and a subsequent dogfight with a couple of Camels.

Unfortanately I have to revise my judgement about the 4 MB setting. At return to homebase the game slows down to 5 to nine 9 fps during final approach. Landing is no joy but rather a lottery.

Cosequently I returned to the standard setting using my experimental lite effects add on patch.

Critical situations for fps in general are:

Take off/landing; i.e. when you are close to the ground.

Any fire/explosion/ smoke effects (also for corruption)

When lots of groud objects/building are displayed on the sreen

When you use the F5/E/T/L/........... keys to focus on something.

My overall opinion about the OpenGLide technology and your input: 😁 😁 😁

BTW, Kessler has anounced a lite version of the PL-superpatch for mmp and low end machines.

Reply 24 of 31, by DeltaK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After some days of testing the Promised Land Superpatch with Paul's Glide wrapper I came to the conclusion, that -for the time being- the only workaround to reduce graphics corruption is to reduce most of the special effects graphics (smoke/fire/explosions) in size.
With the permission of the Promised Land I can now offer two redux patches, which you might want to try out. They work exclusively with the PL-patch and are based on original PL-artwork. PL-copyright regulations apply.

Unzip the file into your cm11/patches folder by using the folder names option. Add either redux128 or redux64 to patches in use and find out which one works better for you; if they work on your sys at all . 😉

Redux128 will provide better graphics quality. Try this one first!
Please give feedback on the SWWISA forum.

Download here:

http://www.swwisa.net/~deltak/downloads/corredux.zip

Last edited by DeltaK on 2002-10-15, 10:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 26 of 31, by Sundancer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yesterday I DL'd the two new files for OpenGL, released on 10/13...I am using them with my fresh install of RB3D and I have not as yet loaded the Promised Land super patch add-on.

I can tell you that I am very happy with these new files...everything is once again working VERY well...the only anomalie I now have is a small & slight "flash" to the side of my screen...by this I mean -

for example...when I am flying over the mud...I may get a momentary "flash", approx. 2 inches long and 1 inch wide where the mud(brown) textures suddenly look like the green ground textures. When this happens, it "flashes" a couple of times then stops....then it may happen again later on. This always happens to the side of my screen(has happened on both sides)...it does not interfere with the main part of my screen picture. I have noticed no other anomolies so far and I flew quite a bit last nite.

I should add that I always fly "on-line" with many other pilots in the sky...and...I have very acceptable FPS although I have not actually measured this.

Reply 27 of 31, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I think I've seen the flashes too. Also the long distant cloud line seems to lose a bit at the edge sometimes. This may be something we can figure out eventually.

Reply 28 of 31, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Damn, I am watching all threads without being able to work on it... I need TIME, please, if someone would donate some time to me I would appreciate, well a good video board is also welcome.... 😀

Reply 30 of 31, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This problem may not actually be with GliDOS, but rather with the way the terrain is built. (eg. two overlapping textures on the same Y-Z axis will cause jittering as the engine figures out which one to display.) However, that's a big 'may'.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 31 of 31, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

This problem may not actually be with GliDOS, but rather with the way the terrain is built. (eg. two overlapping textures on the same Y-Z axis will cause jittering as the engine figures out which one to display.) However, that's a big 'may'.

Could be. Also I think RB pulls in more detailed textures as you get closer to an area of ground; a bit like manual mipmapping, but the new detail may at timed be quite different to what was there previously.