VOGONS

First post, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an old dell 286 that has an option in the bios to allocate memory for EMS from total memory. I have 6 MB total and wanted to shave off 2mb for EMS. When I increment the EMS memory option in BIOS it does indeed take it away from total available memory. So when I save the settings and reboot the memory count only shows 4MB total RAM, so that extra 2MB is going somewhere for EMS use, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to access it. The MEM command shows 0 available EMS. I am running MS DOS 5.0 since I had an old original 5.25" edition of it. I know that I can't run emm386, but I know there is a emm286, but doesn't this just emulate EMS from XMS? I have also tried numerous SYS files like neatemm, m1207, umbdvr and HT12, but they say either hardware failure or something else like it can't find EMS memory. As far as the chipset on this board there is several faraday chips and a several WDC chips.

Any direction on what driver I actually need to use would be appreciated, or if I should scrap this, use all memory as XMS and emulate the EMS, but since the BIOS seems to have a provision for this I thought it would make more since to utilize it.

Thanks again..

Last edited by lowlytech on 2016-11-10, 22:13. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 13, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a 386SX motherboard with a Headland HT18C chipset. In the CMOS setup, there is also the option to utilise some extended memory as expanded memory.

Apart from using EMM386.exe, was the perhaps also a driver, similar to the one for the HT12 chipset?

Reply 4 of 13, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found a lead at the waybackmachine on Dell's support page, unfortunately there are no support downloads for this that I can find...

https://web.archive.org/web/19970225140919/ht … 10/00000004.htm

Expanded
The driver is called mm.sys and should be loaded as the FIRST file in the config.sys file.
device=mm.sys
/f /z /s=nnn /a=nnn

Where f = the memory manager options will be displayed.
Where z = causes the memory manager to bypass the memory test. (Useful with large amount of memory)
Where s = page-frame address (Default D0000-DFFFF) and n = address, valid options are:
C400
C800
CC00
D000
Where a = Base I/O port address (Default - 208) and n = address range from 100 to 3FF

Doing a quick google for mm.sys is not turning up anything. Now that I know the specific file I am hunting does it ring a bell with anyone?

Reply 5 of 13, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found a MM.SYS file inside Orchid_RamQuest_RQX1632.zip from another reference post from google, however this MM.SYS doesn't work, it complains that it is for M50, M60, or M80 only. So it looks like there is more than one MM.SYS file floating around. Guess I need a Dell specific version of MM.SYS ??

Reply 6 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So you have got a Dell System 210 ?

That's a nice little desktop.

Sadly, I have only found very little information about it.
It's a 12MHz 286 system, made somewhen around ~88, has a Phoenix BIOS, ~2 ISA slots, etc.

But there's apparently no piece of information about its chipset.
If we knew a little bit more about it, perhaps we could help you with that EMS driver.

Video clip

InfoWorld 1. Okt. 1990

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 13, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, a dell SYS 210. There is still a download page under legacy systems, but the only thing is a disklib download that appears to only be a floppy disk creator program, but when you run it, it errors out saying you have no program images to write. So the EMS driver must be another image I need in addition to it. Looking on the motherboard there are 5 substantial chips in addition to the 286 itself if it will help identify a chipset

WDC FE3021-LR
WDC FE3010CJU
FARADAY FE3031-JK
FARADAY FE3001-JU
PARADISE PVGA1A-JK

Reply 8 of 13, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well according to this http://www.vgamuseum.info/images/doc/wd/corpo … w_fall_1988.pdf

WDC FE3010 is a sort of southbridge (peripheral control chipset), and
WDC FE3021 is a memory controller (sort of a northbridge)
Not that this helps you find drivers, sorry. According to that brochure the FE3021 is LIM 4.0 compatible.
The Faraday chips are likely equivalent (second source?) to the WDC FE3001 and FE3031 referenced there (clock generator and data buffer)
The Paradise chip is likely an integrated VGA controller.

More information here http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/wester … ipset_Jun88.pdf (it's the actual chipset manual)

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 9 of 13, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I have had a chance to browse the boneyard FTP and other archived BBS type sites and I am getting discouraged if this driver exists. Looks like in the leading edge model D driver from http://ibm-pc.org/utilities/system/system.htm has an MM.SYS driver and it has the right brand which is for the Western Digital, but it shows FE2011 in the status instead of FE3021. As a side effect, the machine reboots itself in a fraction of a second after the driver loads. Was able to capture the screenshot below before the lock.

Found another reference to this chipset with the umb_drvr + umb_ems4 driver package which states in its readme...

UMB_DRVR.DOC Version 5.22 02/20/92 Page 22

BAD NEWS ( CHIPS THAT WILL NOT BE SUPPORTED )

Chips & Technologies: CS8220(82C201/82C202) [1]
Intel: 82335/82335SX [2]
Sun Electronics ( SUNTAC ): ST62CS02(ST62BC002) [1]
United Microelectronics ( UMC ): UM82C230(UM82C231) [1]
Western Digital: ( Faraday ) FE3021/FE3021A [2] <----------------------- Dell 210's chip

Notes:
[1] - No shadow ram support
[2] - Lock feature prohibits access

So I guess I am not above begging, but it looks like my only saving grace on this is if someone has this particular machine and could copy their MM.SYS or some other device of the time that used the FE3021 chip. I would be happy to paypal anyone 20 dollars if they can come up with a working driver, as I am at a total loss on finding this elusive file.

Help me Vogons, You're my only hope...

Attachments

• IMG_0048.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0048.JPG
    File size
    117.24 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 13, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Matth79,

That first file was it! It loads and does a memory count. I vaguely remember major.butt.care address while doing my searching and since i use chrome it would always give me a failed - network error, but IE downloaded it without issues. PM me your email and I will send you a gift. I have been trying to find this silly file for a solid 3 days..

Reply 13 of 13, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cloudschatze,

Just saw your post. How the heck did you find that in the dell support page? I looked everywhere I thought on the waybackmachine and couldn't find any link at all to binary files for the 210 system. Totally awesome, you rock. Send me your email too via PM and I will send you a gift.

I can't thank this community enough. Thank your for this great resource.