VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

I have a couple 16mhz 286 motherboards with the Headland HT12/A chipset and I was wondering if there is a UMB driver for it.
I have tried "The Last Byte Manager" that provides up to 64kb of UMBs for the HT12 chipset but all it does is hard-lock both machines... 😢
Perhaps there is a HT12 chipset without the /A and that's why it doesn't work 😕

The HT12MM.SYS EMS driver does work and provides EMS RAM but no UMBs. Is it even possible?
Here are some photos from the chipset, BIOS screen and TLB manager:

sJjQYoul.jpg

DyM4EIol.jpg

XLQVuWll.jpg

and here is the MEM output with HT12MM.SYS loaded to provide EMS:

di2Bfonl.jpg

Any ideas/tips?
TIA for any help/info! 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 20, by dieymir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try disabling memory relocaton in BIOS setup. As last resort you can have UMBs using the generic EMS 4.0 support of TLBMM, QRAM or Invisible RAM. I have used all of them successfully with my 286 mainboard and a SUNTAC Chipset.

Reply 2 of 20, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a 386SX PC with a Headland HT18 chipset, but have not been able to locate any EMS driver for it.
In the BIOS, there is an option to allocate some memory as EMS, so I'm assuming there must be a driver for it as well.

Reply 3 of 20, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wait, there's an EMS driver ? I'm also having a Headland-based machine! Where can I find it ?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 20, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am attaching the HT12MM.SYS driver , it's the hardware EMS driver for the HT12 chipset, don't know if it will work with others

supposedly there is also a "ht12-umb.lzh" but noone seems to be able to locate it...
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?275 … and-EMS-drivers

Attachments

• Filename
    ht12.zip
    File size
    10.83 KiB
    Downloads
    207 downloads
    File comment
    HEADLAND HT12 EMS Memory Manager
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 20, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thank you very much! ^^

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 20, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The solution was here all along 🤣 according to this post:

With The Last Byte Memory Manager 2.11 version works the umb (i can get 62kb umb), only you should delete the frame=d000 options at the config.sys lastbyte.sys command line. The olny problem is the program is sharware (wait 30sec, works only 30days), and you couldn't use ems/umb at the same time (because the ems page frame uses as umb).

So I downloaded the older v2.11 version of TLB and it actually works! Apparently the latest v2.52 broke something - at least on the chipset program.

Y5REWTml.jpg

DOS 6.22 cannot recognize the UMBs that TLB creates, programs do load fine though in that region but you have to use TLB's HIGHTSR loader, LH does not work:

QqYG4hKl.jpg

8opO394l.jpg

5s2haiVl.jpg

So unless that special HT12 UMB driver is found TLB is the only way that works and creates UMBs, at least on my systems.
Thanks everyone for their help!

edit:

turns out that the problematic part is the CHIPSET.EXE detection program that TLB v2.52 comes with... the driver is loading fine:

QTzEuTql.jpg

this is the config.sys command for the HT12 chipset: DEVICE=C:\TLBMM\LASTBYTE.SYS Physical=HT12,NOEMS,OVERRIDE

doing a full install of TLB v2.52 with "INSTALL HT12" (so that chipset.exe that is problematic does not run) takes care of the UMB integration in DOS, MEM reports UMBs and LH works.

Reply 8 of 20, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

HT12 has hardware EMS support, you set the size in BIOS and then use the driver I attached in a previous post.
EMS though won't give you UMBs, that's a different story and you need The Last Byte for that.

Reply 10 of 20, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

no idea what's the deal then... see my BIOS screen in the first post - both HT12 boards I own are the same

Reply 14 of 20, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

well is seems EMS function is disabled for some reason... no idea if there is a chance to work with any trick

Reply 15 of 20, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote:

Interesting, my TowerAT also had a HT Chipset, but no EMS was possible.

The Tower AT does not have a HT12 chipset. It's using the GC102, but EMS is only supported with the GC103.

Reply 18 of 20, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FreddyV wrote on 2023-01-06, 16:07:

Hi,

@keropi

I know it is an old post but where I can get all these memory management tools ?

what tools are you referring to?

Reply 19 of 20, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote on 2023-01-06, 16:17:
FreddyV wrote on 2023-01-06, 16:07:

Hi,

@keropi

I know it is an old post but where I can get all these memory management tools ?

what tools are you referring to?

The Memory management / diagnostic tools, like Manifest