VOGONS

First post, by smevans526

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can a voodoo1 (something like the Diamond Monster 3D 3dfx Voodoo1 4MB PCI) be installed/operate on a pure DOS system? Be aware that I am not too familiar with Voodoo. Every guide (and driver installation) I find involves installation under Windows 95 and then booting into DOS. But the system I'm considering would be DOS only -- maybe windows 3.x as well...

Reply 1 of 9, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It can be done. Here's some reading for you:
Revised list of Voodoo games for DOS.
Voodoo 1 in only MS DOS Environment
Good luck! I'm sure others will chime in with more...

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 9, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, for glide dos games you don't even need a driver. Just the right .ovl file for the card in the game directory is enough. Most glide supporting games already have the right files so just install the game in dos and off you go... sometimes games came out before the voodoo and got a 3dfx patch later that needs to be installed to support 3dfx cards.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 3 of 9, by smevans526

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think a better way to ask is will it work for *all* DOS games. That above mentioned thread discusses MDK as needing Windows and the .dll.

BLOOD looks to be another example; I got lost in the subsequent technical lingo, though. So maybe it would work on a DOS only system. GTA looks to be the only game I'm interested in that would work under pure DOS.

If what I wrote is flawed, let me know

Reply 4 of 9, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ANY 3dfx card can be used in pure DOS.
You need the card and glide2x.ovl in any %path% directory.
Glide2x.ovl is included in Win9x drivers. Use last retail drivers for the specific card and pkunzip.

The compatibility isn't perfect. As the example - Voodoo2 + fast CPU = statically linked games not work.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 5 of 9, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A 3dfx Voodoo 1 and 2 can not be used in any system as the only video card. It is a 3d card only, You need a 2d card for dos/windows and a passthrough
cable going between the 2d card and the voodoo card.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 6 of 9, by CHiLL72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

True, but that was not the question here I believe.

Imperious wrote:

A 3dfx Voodoo 1 and 2 can not be used in any system as the only video card. It is a 3d card only, You need a 2d card for dos/windows and a passthrough

Waveblaster MIDI boards: https://waveblaster.nl - online now!

Reply 7 of 9, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
smevans526 wrote:

I think a better way to ask is will it work for *all* DOS games.

For all DOS games that have Glide support, yes. There are no compatibility issues with a Voodoo1. Note, however, that the number of DOS games with Glide support isn't that high.

Reply 8 of 9, by smevans526

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Imperious wrote:

???? Um... Thanks?

If the game has a DOS executable, and is known to have glide support, will the game operate with glide on DOS?

We'll keep it simple with the Voodoo1. There is a thread concerning Voodoo2 compatibility (Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix), and yes, it seems to mostly work.

I'll keep focused on MDK, though. This game is a DOS/Win95 game -- but my understanding is that glide will only operate with the Windows version. Am I correct?

Sometimes claims of glide compatibility are misleading. There is much talk of a glide version of Dungeon Keeper. The gold version even has a 3dfx logo on the box. But it is just D3D, which can then coincidentally talk to a Voodoo card.