VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 3280 of 3949, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, so why does it overwrite it with a binary version? What purpose does that serve other than to make you reliant upon the GUI for any changes you want to make?

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 3281 of 3949, by MS7XWDC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
According to mobygames this is only a d3d7 game. Mobygames could be wrong though. […]
Show full quote

According to mobygames this is only a d3d7 game. Mobygames could be wrong though.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/f1-2000/techinfo

I've tested the game in the following: 2000,XP 32bit,2003 32bit,2003 64bit,XP 64bit, Vista 32bit. Likely not working on later OS's or even these listed nowadays due to video drivers

See this post F1 2000 & F1 Championship Season 2000 (EA) - crashes for either running the game in software mode or mabye in D3D using dgvoodoo2 WIP (in 2015).

when you say you tested it, did the game work ? i wasn't sure by your post. it would seem it did not work in those listed [due to driver issues]

did you test it in compatibility mode, or on various operating systems with dgV2 ?

thx

Reply 3282 of 3949, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The game worked on those operating systems at the time of testing without compatibility mode. Likely tested in 2014 and below with Intel graphics. No third party applications used.
IIRC, Wine had issues with the game as well around 2014. I haven't tested the game since.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3283 of 3949, by galneon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
franpa wrote:

Yeah, so why does it overwrite it with a binary version? What purpose does that serve other than to make you reliant upon the GUI for any changes you want to make?

Please stop the hand-wringing.

I'm not talking about the binary dgVoodoo.conf in your roaming directory. Use a local copy of the plain text conf from the archive by placing it in the directory of the game executable. You can then make other changes in the GUI if you need to and it will never overwrite this local copy of the plain text conf.

Reply 3284 of 3949, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
galneon wrote:
franpa wrote:

I'm not talking about the binary dgVoodoo.conf in your roaming directory. Use a local copy of the plain text conf from the archive by placing it in the directory of the game executable. You can then make other changes in the GUI if you need to and it will never overwrite this local copy of the plain text conf.

I copy the plain text .conf file to the same place as dgVoodooCpl.exe.
I make a change via dgVoodooCpl.exe
I apply the change and close the GUI.
The .conf file is now in binary and I can no longer edit it manually since I don't understand binary code.

If it can read the plain text file, why does it write the file in binary? What purpose does that serve other than to protect the configuration file from tampering?

Last edited by franpa on 2017-09-19, 17:28. Edited 1 time in total.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 3285 of 3949, by galneon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
franpa wrote:
I copy the plain text .conf file to the same place as dgVoodooCpl.exe. I make a change via dgVoodooCpl.exe I apply the change an […]
Show full quote
galneon wrote:
franpa wrote:

The .conf file is now in binary.

In the pull-down on the GUI, change the config folder/running instance to your roaming folder (global profile) or another directory where the plain text conf is not located. Because the binary conf and plain text conf have the same name, you're overwriting the plain text conf with the binary conf when you apply changes in the GUI. The plain text conf is a WIP feature and I'm sure this is probably only an oversight which will be worked around in the future, but for now, the solution is simply to change the config directory in the GUI like I mentioned. Then your global settings will be applied but be overriden by the local conf as necessary.

To be clear, these seem to be two totally different kinds of configuration files. The binary file is not simply a binary version of the advanced plain text conf, to the best of my knowledge at least.

Reply 3286 of 3949, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
galneon wrote:
franpa wrote:
I copy the plain text .conf file to the same place as dgVoodooCpl.exe. I make a change via dgVoodooCpl.exe I apply the change an […]
Show full quote

The .conf file is now in binary.

In the pull-down on the GUI, change the config folder/running instance to your roaming folder (global profile) or another directory where the plain text conf is not located. Because the binary conf and plain text conf have the same name, you're overwriting the plain text conf with the binary conf when you apply changes in the GUI. The plain text conf is a WIP feature and I'm sure this is probably only an oversight which will be worked around in the future, but for now, the solution is simply to change the config directory in the GUI like I mentioned. Then your global settings will be applied but be overriden by the local conf as necessary.

To be clear, these are two totally different kinds of configuration files. The binary file is not simply a binary version of the advanced plain text conf.

Okay, so that's how it works. Thank you.

my website

Reply 3287 of 3949, by MS7XWDC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

The game worked on those operating systems at the time of testing without compatibility mode. Likely tested in 2014 and below with Intel graphics. No third party applications used.
IIRC, Wine had issues with the game as well around 2014. I haven't tested the game since.

understood, thx !!

Reply 3288 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
franpa wrote:

What use cases do you have that requires mixing using the GUI and editing the text file?

Reply 3289 of 3949, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

What use cases do you have that requires mixing using the GUI and editing the text file?

There shouldn't need to be specific use cases that "require" mixing the GUI and manual editing for it to be a desirable feature. It's just a nice feature and users have come to expect that, if a program uses a plain text file, it'll remain a plain text file.

Reply 3290 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Osprey wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

There shouldn't need to be specific use cases that "require" mixing the GUI and manual editing for it to be a desirable feature. It's just a nice feature and users have come to expect that, if a program uses a plain text file, it'll remain a plain text file.

Well there are two possible scenarios here:

A: franpa is just making a general feature request.
B: franpa is having an actual problem with the current implementation, in which case asking him what he's trying to achieve might present a solution. And in fact, might present him with a better way to do what he's trying to do even if/when dgVoodoo2 can write text configuration files.

Reply 3291 of 3949, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

Well there are two possible scenarios here:

A: franpa is just making a general feature request.
B: franpa is having an actual problem with the current implementation, in which case asking him what he's trying to achieve might present a solution. And in fact, might present him with a better way to do what he's trying to do even if/when dgVoodoo2 can write text configuration files.

Ok. I mistakenly thought that your question was more rhetorical and you were questioning the usefulness of the requested feature. I'd like to see it, too. I simply posted in the WIP thread, instead.

Reply 3292 of 3949, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a hostile Option A >.>" "<.<

The GUI is useful because it has explanations for a lot of the settings where as the plain text file does not (it suggests you use the GUI to understand the settings). What was suggested to me to fix the mouse input for the game requires me to do something not possible in the GUI so I have to switch from what I was using (the GUI) to the config file, but the config file is now in binary.

But now I understand the system in place is basically the same idea as the Nvidia Control Panel's Global Profile and Application Specific Profiles scheme. So I can have a binary file that the GUI uses (global profile in the "Home" folder) and a plain text file in the applications folder (Application Specific) and have the plain text file override some of the Binary files settings. So the situation isn't ideal but it is workable.

Having the GUI output plain text files would negate the need to have 2 different types of config files to configure all settings, having the GUI provide options for all settings would achieve this too and of course negate the need to make it output plain text configuration files.

I'm simply not a fan of binary configuration files though because their purpose afaik is to obfuscate its contents, Japanese developers love them and it is frustrating if you want to configure something without the GUI or have access to settings that aren't accessible within the GUI (having the GUI provide the ability to configure all options will again, negate the need to modify the config file by hand and avoid the dilemma entirely but I still don't like binary configs).

my website

Reply 3293 of 3949, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
franpa wrote:

But now I understand the system in place is basically the same idea as the Nvidia Control Panel's Global Profile and Application Specific Profiles scheme. So I can have a binary file that the GUI uses (global profile in the "Home" folder) and a plain text file (Application Specific) and have the plain text file override some of the Binary files settings. So the situation isn't ideal but it is workable.

I think that the way that Dege has, so far, intended for his program to work isn't how most people use it. He seems to intend for people to keep one copy of dgVoodooCPL.exe somewhere on their system, then copy only the DLLs (DDraw.dll and D3DImm.dll, usually) to each game folder and switch between settings for each game with the dropdown box in the CPL. I think that most people, instead, copy dgVoodooCPL.exe (and dgVoodoo.conf) to the game folder, as well, for an entirely localized use. That's what I do and that's what I've seen all instructions on the internet suggest to do. I think that that's preferable because, then, it's portable. I can backup a game, save it to my backup drive and restore it on another computer without having to copy dgVoodooCPL.exe to the computer and configure global settings again. The profile system is a nice feature that I'm sure some people use, but the portability of dgVoodoo is just as valuable of a feature, IMO, if not more so. In fact, I think that that's why GOG is interested in it and that improving portability even further by having a readable and writeable plain text config file would make that adoption more likely and quicker.

Reply 3294 of 3949, by MS7XWDC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

sorry to be a pain, you didnt need dgV2 [3rd party app] to run F1 2000 ?

if i gather correctly, it worked for you and you did not use software mode, either.

thx again

Reply 3295 of 3949, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the game uses Safedisc or SecuROM DRM and you're using Windows 10 than the DRM won't work and the game will either show an error message or crash. In this case the only solution is to install a crack for the game to remove the DRM. A good example of this is Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2006.

Microsoft has implemented a block for various DRM schemes that were implemented in old games.

my website

Reply 3296 of 3949, by CoolGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"The 7th Guest" Official DirectX port

There are some glitches in "The 7th Guest" Official DirectX port when played via dgVoodoo WIP 37.

The game starts in windowed mode. dgVoodoo logo is missing in the windowed mode. Resolution upscaling settings do not seem to have any effect in windowed mode. Probably dgVoodoo is not getting hooked-up in windowed mode.

You need to press Alt+Enter to enter fullscreen mode. The game plays fine using the default settings of dgVoodoo in fullscreen mode and the logo is also displayed correctly. V-sync also works, which is absolutely essential for this game.

When I choose "Max Resolution" upscaling setting of dgVoodoo in fullscreen mode, textures disappear. Some textures re-appear temporarily when I move the mouse (see screenshot below). Just move around the house to trigger this bug, if it does not instantly happen.

v32tng_2017-09-21_22-05-21-79_-_Copy.png

Installation instructions for "The 7th Guest" are the following:
1) Insert CD 2 of "The 7th Guest" game and copy the contents of the "T7G\INSTALL" folder to C:\7thGuest

2) Download Official Patch v1.30 from the link below. Use 7-zip to extract the contents of T7G-130.EXE to C:\7thGuest.
http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Reviews/T7G/Do … -Patch-1-30.zip

3) Download the official Directx Port from the link below and extract it into the C:\7thGuest folder.
https://www.tbyte.com/downloads/t7gwinnv.zip

4) Place dgVoodoo2 files into the C:\7thGuest folder.
5) Insert CD 1 into your drive and run "v32tng.exe" located in C:\7thGuest folder.
6) You need to press Alt+Enter to switch between windowed and fullscreen modes.

"The 11th Hour" Official DirectX Port

I did not encounter any glitches while playing "The 11th Hour" Official DirectX Port via dgVoodoo WIP 37. Resolution forcing and vsync works. I wrote the instructions below in case anybody wants to test it.

Installation instructions for "The 11th Hour" are the following:
1) Insert CD 1 of "The 11th Hour" game and copy the contents of the "SYSTEM" folder to C:\11thHour

2) Download the official Directx Port from the link below and extract it into the C:\11thHour folder.
https://www.tbyte.com/downloads/11hwin.zip

3) Place dgVoodoo2 files into the C:\11thHour folder.
4) Keep CD 1 in your drive and run "v32win.exe" located in C:\11thHour folder.
5) Game will start in fullscreen

Reply 3297 of 3949, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote:
Diduz wrote:

Hi, I can't download v.2.54 from the website. Browsers tell me the file is "dangerous" 😵
Seems a false positive to me. Should I deactivate my firewall?
BTW, this thing is great, I'm managing to play Donald Duck Goin' Quackers vith v. 2.53 almost without issues (except for fmvs, which don't run at all), so thanks a lot. 😀

FMVs should work, they do on my computer. Also the game looks pretty great with resolution forcing. It's included options for resolution are "low", "medium" and "high". With dgVoodoo2 resolution forcing it only determines the size of movie clips (set resolution to "low" for best results). "Disable Alt-Enter to toggle screen state" must be on or the game will go into window mode during startup.

Donald_2017_07_08_00_14_45_168.jpg

Someone recently rediscovered the prototype demo Disney distributed of Donald Duck Goin' Quackers and has provided a download link. Got it up and running on my real Win98SE system, but I have had no luck getting it to run in Windows 7 64 even with dgVoodoo2. Here is the site you can grab it from and maybe one of you can enlighten me of how to get this working. From what I have been reading there is quite a bit of difference between this demo and the final product which makes it of some interest and why, I guess, it is now being a called a prototype demo rather than just a demo of the game.

http://kuribo64.net/board/thread.php?id=3352

Reply 3298 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote:
ZellSF wrote:
Diduz wrote:

Hi, I can't download v.2.54 from the website. Browsers tell me the file is "dangerous" 😵
Seems a false positive to me. Should I deactivate my firewall?
BTW, this thing is great, I'm managing to play Donald Duck Goin' Quackers vith v. 2.53 almost without issues (except for fmvs, which don't run at all), so thanks a lot. 😀

FMVs should work, they do on my computer. Also the game looks pretty great with resolution forcing. It's included options for resolution are "low", "medium" and "high". With dgVoodoo2 resolution forcing it only determines the size of movie clips (set resolution to "low" for best results). "Disable Alt-Enter to toggle screen state" must be on or the game will go into window mode during startup.

Donald_2017_07_08_00_14_45_168.jpg

Someone recently rediscovered the prototype demo Disney distributed of Donald Duck Goin' Quackers and has provided a download link. Got it up and running on my real Win98SE system, but I have had no luck getting it to run in Windows 7 64 even with dgVoodoo2. Here is the site you can grab it from and maybe one of you can enlighten me of how to get this working. From what I have been reading there is quite a bit of difference between this demo and the final product which makes it of some interest and why, I guess, it is now being a called a prototype demo rather than just a demo of the game.

http://kuribo64.net/board/thread.php?id=3352

It works fine here. I did nothing else than the instructions in the ReadMe file and copy dgVoodoo2 DLLs over.