VOGONS

First post, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any info on these? The first two particulary.

card1.jpg
Filename
card1.jpg
File size
320.34 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
card2.jpg
Filename
card2.jpg
File size
289.89 KiB
Views
File license
card3.jpg
Filename
card3.jpg
File size
133.18 KiB
Views
File license
card4.jpg
Filename
card4.jpg
File size
252.2 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 1 of 5, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About the third one: Control Systems Artist 1 was an MDA clone; Control Systems Artist 12 had two (or more) outputs. But I can't find anything about the Control Systems Artist 8, which is what the label seems to say.

Reply 2 of 5, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
emendelson wrote:

But I can't find anything about the Control Systems Artist 8, which is what the label seems to say.

Always try google books, sadly full page is not available - Computers in Mechanical Engineering from 1988...

Control Systems Corp. has begun shipping its newly introduced Artist 8, a graphics controller board for the IBM PC, XT, AT and compatibles. The unit includes the vendor's Artist GT software, an AutoCAD-enhancement interface that works with add-on EMS memory and display-list-processing techniques to add faster redraws, zoom, and transparent, concurrent pans to normal AutoCAD performance. The board uses Hitachi's ACRTC ...

There is also small mention at Design News 1989...

Resolutions range from the ARTIST 8 at 800 x 600 to the pixel-packed ARTIST XJ12 with a 1280 x 1024 resolution. One of the features of MicroStation is its ability to utilize two high-resolution screens.

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 3 of 5, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found an article that is related to the board in the first picture.
It is related to moniterm viking I and under the picture it says that the board is powered by the monitor and not the pc.
The hitachi controller in your picture is also mentioned in the article.

https://books.google.fi/books?id=KU7dCBpP7fsC … roducts&f=false

Reply 4 of 5, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The HD63484 appearing on the first two cards is an "Advanced CRT Controller." The datasheet says it has drawing functions (ie. hardware acceleration). The first card looks like it has 256KB of 32-bit bus DRAM and two monitor ports (is it a 9-pin and 15-pin?) so my guess is a hyped-up EGA clone. Could be VGA.

The bottom card has an MC6845 and eight 64kx1 150ns DRAMs. Too slow to be EGA but more RAM than standard CGA. Maybe it has extra screen modes like a Plantronics or something.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 5 of 5, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bakemono wrote:

The HD63484 appearing on the first two cards is an "Advanced CRT Controller." The datasheet says it has drawing functions (ie. hardware acceleration). The first card looks like it has 256KB of 32-bit bus DRAM and two monitor ports (is it a 9-pin and 15-pin?) so my guess is a hyped-up EGA clone. Could be VGA.

The bottom card has an MC6845 and eight 64kx1 150ns DRAMs. Too slow to be EGA but more RAM than standard CGA. Maybe it has extra screen modes like a Plantronics or something.

Thanks everyone! All the cards have 9-pin output, except the Moniterm card (1st pic) which also has (I presume) a 9-pin input/pass-through connector.