VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by max123xd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, i'm using dosbox 0.74 and it's a really fun emulator. but the white color doesn't fit with it. so i'm asking, how do you change the wite text color to green? i appreciate it if someone knows the answer, because i looked everywhere on internet, and i didn't find anything to change the font from white to green. and thx for reading this.

Reply 4 of 12, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Add this at the beginning of DOSBox autoexec:

@echo esc[32m

or light green:

@echo esc[1;32m

Replace "esc" with the escape character.

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 5 of 12, by Hobbyist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Somewhere I found that the escape character in DOS would be "$e", so I inserted

@echo $e[32m

in the autoexec section of the DOSBox cofiguration file, but that doesn't work (no color change).

I found examples for DOS which use "prompt" instead of "@echo", but it seems the prompt command is not available in DOSBox.

Any other ideas?

Reply 6 of 12, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The esc-character is a special character that you can't type "normally". You can type it in some text editors by holding the Alt-key and typing the character code number with the keypad keys. (I don't remember what the number is).

Copy & pasting doesn't necessarily work either (different encoding etc.) and it seems it can't be pasted here on this forum at all.

EDIT: The code for esc is 027. Works for example in Notepad++ (you get a black square that has the letters "esc" inside it).
Hold down Alt, type 027 on the numpad, release Alt.

Last edited by zirkoni on 2018-05-09, 15:37. Edited 1 time in total.

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 9 of 12, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hobbyist wrote:

Somewhere I found that the escape character in DOS would be "$e"

I found examples for DOS which use "prompt" instead of "@echo"

$e is interpreted as escape code by prompt (in MS-DOS), but not by echo.
prompt has also the advantage of automatically resetting the colors each time you exit a program (which might've mangled your customized colors).

Reply 12 of 12, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sadly I've not been able to get my prompts to change colors in the ECE releases of Dosbox but could quite easily on the old DaumSVM version I also still have on hand. I will have to take a look at this to see if the command structure between the two versions is different somehow, but I originally was using the .cfg from my daum version when I first tried using the ECE versions.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20