VOGONS

First post, by aemin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello, i am new to this forum and i am not quite sure if i have posted this under the right section.
anyway i will get to point- i have recently had a nostalgia attack and i bought an IBM Thinkpad R30, to make a clean Win 98 SE install and use for retro purposes.
i want to use it to mainly play microsoft entertainment package games and DOS games.
However some DOS games have no sound, such as System Shock. I think thats because the laptop doesnt have a soundblaster card.
Some DOS games let me use PC sounds, so it works sometimes, but with some games i have no luck.
Is there a way to get around this without adding new hardware? Like installing some third party drivers (which i did for USB ports so it recognizes flash drives).
Thank you all, i await your answers. 😊

Reply 1 of 26, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What drivers are you using in Windows for sound? Does anything like "legacy audio" or similar show up in the device manager?

If not, then you will need to get an add-on sound card that supports DOS sound through Windows (somewhat easier to find) or one that supports DOS sound from real mode DOS... much rarer.

For PCMCIA sound cards, see here:
PCMCIA Sound Cards

You can also try VDMSound for Win9x...
Win9x + VDMSound **ALPHA**

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 26, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wrong forum. This forum is for DOS games on newer systems. Ask old hardware and old OS questions here: Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 26, by aemin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. Thanks for your response. The driver i installed is: ALi Audio Accelerator WDM Driver (ALi). I don't see a legacy audio option, however on cnet.com, i checked the specs of my laptop and for Audio specs, it reads: "Compliant Standards Sound Blaster 16/Pro".

Reply 5 of 26, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What is the exact model of the laptop?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 26, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aemin wrote:

IBM Thinkpad R30 Type 2656

Your laptop uses the sound portion of the ALi M1535 southbridge which are based of the Trident 4DWave PCI sound chip (just like the SiS 7018 of the SiS 630/730 chips). It should emulate both Sound Blaster Pro and 16 and also got wavetable and some horrible FM-emulation. It probably needs to be initialized when running in pure DOS mode and needs a TSR for wavetable and FM.

If you're going to run DOS games from within Windows you should use VxD drivers instead of the WDM ones if VxD drivers exists.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 26, by aemin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, i play DOS games from within Windows 98 SE. I dont really know what drivers i have installed, but now that i am searching for "VxD" drivers i can't really find that. Honestly i dont know what i should be looking for either. Searching "ALi M1535 VxD" is the way to go? or any VxD soundblaster driver will work? Where should i be heading?

Reply 12 of 26, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bet if you extracted the files you could manually install the 95 drivers in 98 by NOT using the setup program.

At the very most, the .inf file might have to be slightly modified but I kinda doubt it.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 13 of 26, by aemin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I dont know how to manually install without the setup 🙁

edit: now somehow i managed to do that, now windows is trying to install VxD driver at startup. i will let you guys know how it turns out.

Reply 15 of 26, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hard to tell what's going on, perhaps the driver just doesn't like Windows 98SE? 😕

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 16 of 26, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kamerat wrote on 2018-07-26, 18:36:

Use the Windows 95 driver, I downloaded it for you.

I tried this win95 driver for my laptop, which has Ali 1535 chip, by manually updating driver using INF. It installed successfully. Unfortunately the SB digital audio is missing. The legacy PCI driver provides FM wavetable on address 220, 388, etc., which is working by default. I tried Skyroads and it has music, no sound effect. And some other game with sound driver setup, Sound blaster & Adlib is working for MIDI but unable to detect digital audio device. What a shame. it will be much better if it has digital audio.
I even tried WDM driver in combine with legacy PCI audio driver but when WDM exist the legacy audio driver can be installed and listed in device manager, but no bound device and not working.

Toshiba Satellite Pro 4300 - YMF744, Savage IX
Toshiba Satellite 2805-S501 - YMF754, GeForce 2Go
IBM Thinkpad A21p - CS4624, Mobility Radeon 128
main: Intel NUC11PHKi7C Phantom Canyon: i7-1165G7 RTX2060 64G 2T760PSDD

Reply 17 of 26, by Omarkoman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi guys, didnt want to create new thread so I thought I'll ask here.

I have a P133 laptop that has USB port on it and also PCMCIA slot. are there any USB sound cards I can use that would have DOS drivers that are Sound blaster compatible ?

Reply 18 of 26, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Omarkoman wrote on 2023-04-06, 01:56:

hi guys, didnt want to create new thread so I thought I'll ask here.

I have a P133 laptop that has USB port on it and also PCMCIA slot. are there any USB sound cards I can use that would have DOS drivers that are Sound blaster compatible ?

Nope. PCMCIA or parallel port are really your only options.

There were also some laptops that had docking stations that had PCI and ISA slots.

What brand/model is your laptop?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK