VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm currently installing Windows 95 on a 4GB Compact Flash (as the PC I am using has a BIOS limitation with detecting drives beyond 4GB apparently, and the <4GB drives I have are slow and loud..) and I was wondering if I need to do anything to make sure the OS inflicts less wear and tear on the Compact Flash, particularly because of the pagefile and swap behavior..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 25, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

I'm currently installing Windows 95 on a 4GB Compact Flash (as the PC I am using has a BIOS limitation with detecting drives beyond 4GB apparently, and the <4GB drives I have are slow and loud..) and I was wondering if I need to do anything to make sure the OS inflicts less wear and tear on the Compact Flash, particularly because of the pagefile and swap behavior..

I would consider how much you plan on using it. If you're frequently going to be using it for many different things (not just a few games here and there) then it is probably worth looking into further. With infrequent use and mostly just for gaming, it probably wouldn't make any noticeable difference unless the system is very low on memory and you plan on pushing much newer games at it.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 2 of 25, by novasilisko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

From what I understand some CF cards have wear-leveling built in and can be worried about less, but I am not sure where to look to get that information per-card...

Phoenix / The Disasterpiece
Processor: Am386DX-40 | Memory: 20 MB | Graphics: Trident TVGA9000B | Sound: TBD | Era: No

Reply 3 of 25, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dunno if you really have to worry about swapping on a retro computer that sees relatively little use, but as a good measure, I'm always adding the line...

ConservativeSwapfileUsage = 1

...to the [386Enh] section in System.ini when running the OS off a CF card.

It's of course supposed to reduce the swappiness of the system.
It's unclear to me if it works in W95 or not, only used it in W98SE, but guess it can't hurt to try at least.

Reply 4 of 25, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kaputnik wrote:
Dunno if you really have to worry about swapping on a retro computer that sees relatively little use, but as a good measure, I'm […]
Show full quote

Dunno if you really have to worry about swapping on a retro computer that sees relatively little use, but as a good measure, I'm always adding the line...

It's unclear to me if it works in W95 or not, only used it in W98SE, but guess it can't hurt to try at least.

Googling MS archives turns up that ConservativeSwapfileUsage is defaulted to 1 for Windows 95 (it is defaulted to 0 for Win98 though) but I will add it nonetheless.

Reply 5 of 25, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a CF - to - IDE device too but use it specifically for DOS due to its limitations in writes and speed. It works amazingly well there, though - once I managed to get past the not-booting off the CF problem.

For my Windows 9X systems I ordered several (4 in total) types of SD to IDE devices instead. From what I hear, SD is more robust and has far more possible writes and performs way faster but not all devices will be detected by every BIOS which is why I ordered several types. Maybe it's worth considering for your build as well?

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 6 of 25, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
kaputnik wrote:
Dunno if you really have to worry about swapping on a retro computer that sees relatively little use, but as a good measure, I'm […]
Show full quote

Googling MS archives turns up that ConservativeSwapfileUsage is defaulted to 1 for Windows 95 (it is defaulted to 0 for Win98 though) but I will add it nonetheless.

Ah, googled too now, found the same article. Then W95 won't start swapping before running out of physical RAM, and behaves like W98 with the parameter set by default. Guess the best you can do is to just add enough RAM for it to never, or at least seldom, run out 😀

Reply 7 of 25, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am using a CF card Sandisk Extreme 8gb. in my AMD 5x86-P75@133mhz. Works better than the WD 540mb IDE hard-drive I was using before.
I can scan the CF card for viruses using McAfee 5.1.3 and listen to music at the same time. Multitasking is much better using the CF card.
I don't know about swap file. I have my computer setup up in Server mode and page file I left as default.
Running Win95c works fine with 64mb ram.

Reply 8 of 25, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Agree with the above statements regarding adding more RAM. The more physical RAM, the less swap file usage. After all, RAM is faster than using your storage as RAM 😀

Reply 10 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows 95 Paging File

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 25, by Matzo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd not worry too much about wear and tear when using Compact Flash cards when using Windows 95. It should run fine with the standard configuration.

The <= FAT32 file systems are really basic as are the 95/98 operating systems and it's not until using NTFS and Windows XP that you start to see any performance degradation. Compact Flash cards were designed to frequently write large files and at very high speed, operations which are nothing compared to that within 95/98 or the overhead of running those operating systems.

I've been using SD and CF cards (using various IDE adaptors) with 3x and 9x without much issue, however advice to anyone starting out would be to try to get a card that is 4GB or less and is at least 20MB/s or above (133x or above). I've not encountered problems with any particular adaptor however I have run into some issues by using the older 40P ribbon and not the more up to date 80P ribbon. I have also seen female adaptors out there which plug directly into the IDE socket without the need of a ribbon.

Reply 12 of 25, by ivannudem

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As far as I know, CF card has on card controller which implements wear levelling as a standard, as per Wikipedia (Most CompactFlash flash-memory devices limit wear on blocks by varying the physical location to which a block is written. This process is called wear leveling) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompactFlash That’s why it’s large compared with a tiny micro sd. SD card normally don’t have this controller chip, and relies on the adapter’s on-board chip to perform wearlevelling (if there’s any)... so I’d actually prefer a CF card except that it’s slow (33MB/s for dma33) but it acts like a modern ssd with ide interface... so no worry about swap files.

Reply 13 of 25, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As much ram as you can have, then make a aditional ram drive, and put your swapfile there. Strange thing is, that a well equpped 16bit Windows 3.1x can run without a swapfile, but when you install Win32s or Windows 9x, there is no workaround from that dreaded swapfile, even if you have enough ram that you do not need it really. Linux has the same disease.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 14 of 25, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyberdyne wrote on 2021-02-02, 06:26:

As much ram as you can have, then make a aditional ram drive, and put your swapfile there. Strange thing is, that a well equpped 16bit Windows 3.1x can run without a swapfile, but when you install Win32s or Windows 9x, there is no workaround from that dreaded swapfile, even if you have enough ram that you do not need it really. Linux has the same disease.

Wat?

Reply 15 of 25, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Linux needs a swap partition....

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 16 of 25, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyberdyne wrote on 2021-02-02, 07:32:

Linux needs a swap partition....

No it does not.

Reply 17 of 25, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok. I always had a some twisted memory that they did 😁

Reply 18 of 25, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, definitely doesn't need swap:

$ free
total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 32791824 7552132 380012 514748 24859680 24256032
Swap: 0 0 0

That was a really old thing, when memory was still measured in double or triple-digit megabytes (I still have some really old Slackware 1 or 2 install manuals that reccomend it). The old guideline was 1.5 times the amount of physical memory. But it was never actually a requirement.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 19 of 25, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If anything, Linux and OS/2 were always examplary of how well they managed memory with or without swap. But I digress..